Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Resto Druids - Healing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rinqua
    On mods:

I would just like to say "Thank you" for saying that mods are unecissary for healing. I get so tired of folks trying to convince me that I would be a better healer if I have a string of mods assisting me. Yes, I use decursive, yes, UI mods are acceptable, albeit not my preference, but when people start giving me a host of mods I should be using...I get really pissed. If it helps you out, great, but if you can't heal well without mods...not my problem. This goes for both my resto druid & my holy priest. So thanks for sticking that in there. You rock.
    Well, this will probably make you even more tired...

I intially held that point of view in classic WoW. Then I worked out that healing without a minimum of a) Grid+Clique or b) Healbot [or lately - c) Vuhdo]... is kind of like having a shower with a raincoat on: You can do it, but the end result simply isn't as good. Fact. Stop being stubborn - if you're healing anything larger than a 5-man then you're gimping yourself unnecessarily.

As for the "if you can't heal well without mods...not my problem"... please please please take this from somebody who used to heal (40 man!) Blackwing Lair when we didn't have nourish or lifebloom and the base cast time of healing touch was still 3.5 seconds and accept that you need to consider using just one addon for healing at a minimum - your current standpoint does not make you better or more "hardcore", it makes you misinformed: the extra time that you spend on targeting just isn't necessary.

Tailoring with Lightweave = average +250/3 sp, which happens to beat any bonus you can get from any other profession. So does Darkweave, but druids have mana as it is, and since hots keep the sp from when they're cast... it's damn nice to have ~1/3 of your hots cast have +250 sp.

Look at some of the other bonus's of professions namely Alchemy which has a far superior potion(can proc for 10k mana on top of a guaranteed health and mana boost) yes i know we almost never run out of mana but ocasionally you do. Also lets face it 2 hour flasks are awesome. Oh and as stated above your no better for not using an addon trust me in end game content when you are dodging mines while kiting fire watching for explosions, bots and rocket strikes, standing in light wells running from blizzards jumping into lights moving out of shit on the floor standing next to fire hotting the bombs and other such nonsense as well as figureing out who to heal first it is nice to be able to point and heal and since i bet a skilled person with an addon can beat a skilled one without it i'd say your better for getting an addon
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

Quote Originally Posted by Habit
    Well, this will probably make you even more tired...

I intially held that point of view in classic WoW. Then I worked out that healing without a minimum of a) Grid+Clique or b) Healbot [or lately - c) Vuhdo]... is kind of like having a shower with a raincoat on: You can do it, but the end result simply isn't as good. Fact. Stop being stubborn - if you're healing anything larger than a 5-man then you're gimping yourself unnecessarily.

As for the "if you can't heal well without mods...not my problem"... please please please take this from somebody who used to heal (40 man!) Blackwing Lair when we didn't have nourish or lifebloom and the base cast time of healing touch was still 3.5 seconds and accept that you need to consider using just one addon for healing at a minimum - your current standpoint does not make you better or more "hardcore", it makes you misinformed: the extra time that you spend on targeting just isn't necessary.

I healed for a long time without any specific keybinds or add ons for healing, and for the most part still do. However, I've found that mouseover macros make my life just so much easier. Just keybinding your main spells/macros to mouseovers improved my reaction time (and therefore my ability to cope when the poo hits the fan so to speak) no end. I found this particularly helpful on my disc priest whose aoe heals are poor so I need to flash heal many targets in a short space of time, and also to quickly hot multiple targets on my druid. It's not about being elitist about add ons or HAVING to have them, but mouseover heals will make you a more effective healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenea
    I healed for a long time without any specific keybinds or add ons for healing, and for the most part still do. However, I've found that mouseover macros make my life just so much easier. Just keybinding your main spells/macros to mouseovers improved my reaction time (and therefore my ability to cope when the poo hits the fan so to speak) no end. I found this particularly helpful on my disc priest whose aoe heals are poor so I need to flash heal many targets in a short space of time, and also to quickly hot multiple targets on my druid. It's not about being elitist about add ons or HAVING to have them, but mouseover heals will make you a more effective healer.
    exactly. Blizz will freely admit that they screwed the pooch when it comes to how their default healing is done and that mods/macros + unit frames are basically required to be a top healer.

Eiritha

I think you should consider mentioning Improved Barkskin as a part of a PvE spec

Quote Originally Posted by Eiritha
    I think you should consider mentioning Improved Barkskin as a part of a PvE spec
    to emphasize that it is not a PvE talent, sure.

Eiritha

Quote Originally Posted by Cerelli
    to emphasize that it is not a PvE talent, sure.
    On a lot of ulduar hardmodes it's a very powerful talent

ok :

Yeah, umm, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Eiritha

Narrowminded is narrowminded... Well your loss

Narrowminded is narrowminded... Well your loss
    pot meet kettle

Eiritha

Quote Originally Posted by Cerelli
    pot meet kettle
    Suggesting that maybe there's an alternative way of doing things which might be better for certain situations surely isn't narrowminded, however just saying "No there isn't" indeed is very narrowminded

All I did was trying to make people consider Imp Barkskin as a viable talent since Barkskin indeed is a very used ability, so an increased effect on this ability surely wouldn't hurt would it?

I do however agree that the reason for going down the road of Imp Barkskin is due to lack of other options in the tree. I see many ppl sinking their talent points away in NG, Imp Tranq, Tranq Spirit, Emp Touches, simply cause there are no better options. Shouldn't these people at least consider Imp Barkskin as an alternative?

TLR, I'm not being narrowminded by suggesting something alternative, you are by rejecting it without thought

TLR, I'm not being narrowminded by suggesting something alternative, you are by rejecting it without thought
    or i have thought about it and come to the conclusion that it is in fact a worthless PvE talent. Mostly because I would very much rather put those 2 talent points into places where they will have an impact on my ability as a healer. I have never come across a situation where I have felt that the added damage reduction from that talent would have been the difference between life and death.

I'm not disputing that barkskin is a useful ability, I am however disputing that the extra 2 talent points spent on it is worth the added 10% damage reduction.

I see many ppl sinking their talent points away in NG...
    Imp. Barkskin > Nature's Grace?

Hell yeah, I don't need spell haste on Heroic: Steelbreaker when I've got 20% damage reduction for 10 seconds every minute!
    A rich man once told me: "Hey life's a funny thing."
    A poor man once told me that he can't afford to speak...

All I did was trying to make people consider Imp Barkskin as a viable talent since Barkskin indeed is a very used ability, so an increased effect on this ability surely wouldn't hurt would it?
    Actually I would have liked to see the logic of the argument behind your POV as well. Yes, Barkskin gets used a lot. But the enhancements provided by this Talent do not seem to give much benefit outside pvp.... unless there are some hidden tactical truths behind your statement ?

Because IF I actually get hit upon by a mob and I need Barkskin to even keep up my healing due to 10% less damage (which I shouldn't be taking in the first place) , there is something going terribly wrong already.

since it came up a couple of times you might want to add http://www.resto4life.com/2009/02/06...he-nerfmother/ to the hastecap discussion. Especially since many resto droods still have the pre 3.08 hastecap in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kaylon
    since it came up a couple of times you might want to add http://www.resto4life.com/2009/02/06...he-nerfmother/ to the hastecap discussion. Especially since many resto droods still have the pre 3.08 hastecap in mind.
    I've made a point on my guild forums and a couple others on my server to talk about haste cap. Most trees don't care about it and think it's nothing to be worried about. IMO, if you're going to heal and do your job well, you need to know what stats need improvement to best maximize your healing. Here is a post I made on my guild forums, with help from the EJ link above.

You need to have one of the below caps, considering raid make-up, to reach a one second gobal cooldown for your heals. Whether you hot-raid heal, or use timed casts, you need at the bare minimum, one of these caps (again depending on raid make-up).

In order to maintain a 1sec GCD (global cooldown) on Rejuv, LB, and WG while spec'd into [Gift of the Earthmother] (all trees should be spec'd into this reguardless):

Wrath of Air and Improved Moonkin Aura/Swift Retribution Aura (with 3/3 Celestial Focus): 253 Haste Rating

Wrath of Air only (with 3/3 Celestial Focus): 359 Haste Rating

Improved Moonkin Aura/Swift Retribution Aura only (with 3/3 Celestial Focus): 430 Haste Rating

No outside buffs at all (only 3/3 Celestial Focus): 541 Haste Rating

Wrath of Air and Improved Moonkin Aura/Swift Retribution Aura: 359 Haste Rating

Wrath of Air only: 468 Haste Rating

Improved Moonkin Aura/Swift Retribution Aura only:
    541 Haste Rating

Celestial Focus is a 3/3 talent in the balance tree. It gives 3% haste when capped out at 3/3.
    1% haste = (roughly) 35 haste rating.
    3x35=105 haste=3% haste rating.

Do the math.

A lot of trees really consider spec'ing into CF because all the tier 8 for us has soooo much crit on it. Also, a lot of our BiS has a bunch of crit as well. Spec'ing into CF, respectively considering raid composition, will help achieve the "soft cap" for 1 second GCD without stacking by gear.

Quote Originally Posted by kaylon
    This is the most relevant post on haste in this thread. (and the EJ link of course)

Rhiannon's post is misleading for druids with access to high end gear as it doesn't consider the posibility of dropping one or two points out of GotEM, in which case a different set of soft-cap figures (obviously) applies.

*edit* - "Do the math"... please don't. Haste calculations are frought with intricate detail - as can be seen by reading the numerous (complex) posts on EJ, so encouraging (mathematically amateur) people to do their own math on it probably isn't such a good idea.