Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...

Re: Are we Rogues a bit OP these days...?

Quote Originally Posted by cocco
    - As a hybrid you have something that a pure dps class doesn't have... VERSATILITY! Depending on the fight and the gear that you have ofc, you have the choice to select what you want to be in that fight: tank? melee dps? range dps? healer?
    I do agree hybrids has versatility, but seriosly, what drood has ulduar tank/dps/healing gear material? most of hybrids in my guild has a solidi main gear and a good off-spec gear, not all 3 types (i know some players could have it, but we talking about the avarage players).
    For isntance: who ll ask a drood to re-spec to bring 2k dps if all dps in the raid is doing 3k+? just grab another dps in the bench.

Onwer of all, master of none!

Quote Originally Posted by mgh79a
    I dont think he stated everyone is playing rogues and no other classes. Last I recall, I see more pallys/dk's than rogues by a good margin.
    He is suggesting everyone to roll a class that is commonly know as a overpowered class which in the post is rogue.
    And even a game with two class (pally and Dk as you suggested) is not fun either.

I don't hate Rogues and they should not get nerfed. The damage leaders that you are is where you should be. The ability to add threat to the tank straight away, Crowd Control some things, drop aggro at a moment's notice, additional damage and useful effects from poisons along with some other spec-dependent tricks which can do things like keep you alive are worth having and are advantages. They may not seem to compare to hitting the magic Bear, Rebirth, Innervate or heal buttons (which is all a Feral Druid can do to help) but they provide a different kind of utility and help the raid in a different way. If you're getting beaten by a Kitty on a melee friendly fight, perhaps you should examine a few things.

First, does the Druid have better gear than you? Weapons, enchants, gems, food, potions, all these things make a difference too and it may just be the Druid is better prepared than you and giving themselves an edge you can't quite see.

Second, is there a difference in practice time? Most decent Feral Druids didn't just decide to roll up one for Lich King and see what's going on, they've been playing since at least the beginning of BC, probably earlier, they've been through many revisions of their class and a rollercoaster ride of how comparable their DPS is to pure classes. In that time, they've often learned how to make the most of everything they have.

Third, are you watching your cooldowns closely? Any Druid capable of getting close to the top of meters will be pulling almost perfect timing with their buff/finisher/CP generation, they don't have any choice if you fumble any one of the 6 ticking abilities, you lose far too much DPS to even be considered at the top of meters. I think the Rogues beating the Druids probably watch their timers just as closely and almost certainly use mods to track them, just as the Druids do.

Fourth, how well do you know the fights? If you've had to learn to tank and DPS a fight, which many ferals will have done, you tend to read up more on strategies and the combination of perspectives tells you a little more about the fight and what to do. That extra knowledge of positioning, like how far around the back 180 degree arc and how far away you can stand and still be in the hitbox make a big difference to any raider. I've met Rogues who've taught me all of this and it's those same Rogues that are topping meters now.

Fifth, how well do you relate to your community? Druids are insanely helpful to one another out of a kind of Druid solidarity from being a relatively infrequently rolled class and we share that knowledge as much as we can. Druids are also expected to help raids simply because they have the versatility to do so, that means long term Druids have had to learn how to be helpful to raids. The sort of people attracted to playing a Druid can also potentially be the sort to look up information on their class and work out how to do things better, simply because they have so many choices in how to play. I don't think it's an accident that Rawr was designed by a Druid player and explanded to help the whole WoW community, while the Rogue spreadsheets are amazingly detailed, but a little harder to access from a point of less class knowledge.

Sixth, what is your server/guild/flist's perception of you? Most Druids have had to prove themselves many times over to be allowed to come to the party as Melee DPS, because even though they're seen as viable now they haven't always been in that position. A good druid can't afford to faceroll, they won't have earned the spot and the Naxx/Sarth/Maly experience to get the gear to earn their spot on the Ulduar meters, they will have fought a chunk of the way to get there. Most people go, oh, we need a DPS, there's a Rogue, check if his gear's okay, then grab him if it is, hang on, there's a Feral Druid saying they can DPS as well. Pfft, Druids aren't real DPS unless they're boomkin (circa WotLK), grab the Rogue. There are enough pure DPS spots in a raid that there is room for a Rogue, if they're good enough.

The problem is, it can come down to bring the player, not the class and Rogues often have a reputation of being unlikeable people. Druids don't get this as much and while no class has a monopoly on being a wanker, many more people have met Rogues they just couldn't deal with than Druids and this frequently biases their choice. Rogues have a reputation for looking after themselves first and everyone else second, Druids can be close to the other way around, which can help community perception of them in a situation where people are making a choice. It's not always the case, though since people who want the most DPS who don't check gear will bring the Rogue without checking the Feral Druid out. As this changes with Feral getting a bit of FotM back, Rogues miss out on spots and once they're out of the loop, find it harder to get into a new one.

So no, my fellow Melee DPSers who know the pain of how Melee unfriendly so many fights are, I don't have anything against you. I've had to work incredibly hard to catch up to the skill level of a good Rogue throughout BC and finally getting numbers which match my skill level seems to be a nasty shock to Rogues who haven't had such a learning experience. I should lose to great Rogues on DPS, as a good Druid and I should be just edged out by good Rogues, but it should be a close battle and I'm not sorry that it is. I'm continuing to learn and adjusting my gear to make the most out of the changes to haste and armor penetration and you're going to need to do the same to keep up, I look forward to once more having the challenge of getting that edge to catch up to the Rogues.

wall of text crits you for over 9000
    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/hats.png