Thread: Druid Tanking

Druid Tanking

Hey guys, I'm starting to level a druid to tank with at end game. I'm doing enchanting and mining whilst leveling then switching the mining for JC when 80 to get those +41 stamina gems. I can sustain the JC as I have a pally whoes mining and JC

Are there any other professions that could be benefical?

Also another question, on my hunter's LW I can see that I can make epic level 80 items, which is the polar set... which has loads of stamina and has the frost resistance, do you think I should use these?

Thanks
    Is it because I is Horde??

Re: Druid Tanking

In terms of straight stamina, JC really only gives 51 "free" stamina vs a non JCer, and mining gives you a free 50 stamina just for playing. As epic gems become more standard, the advantage to JCing drops substantially.

that said, JCing gives a lot of versatility.

The polar set ranks pretty high on a lot of people's lists. Make sure you're balancing stamina with avoidance, though, otherwise trolls will yell at you on an unofficial WoW forum.

Deleted

JC and BS are the best professions to min/max your gear, whatever role you play in a raid.

BS will become even better when epic gems are released.

Quote Originally Posted by baseball
    In terms of straight stamina, JC really only gives 51 "free" stamina vs a non JCer, and mining gives you a free 50 stamina just for playing. As epic gems become more standard, the advantage to JCing drops substantially.

that said, JCing gives a lot of versatility.

The polar set ranks pretty high on a lot of people's lists. Make sure you're balancing stamina with avoidance, though, otherwise trolls will yell at you on an unofficial WoW forum.
    If you're using 3x +41 stamina gems then you're going to gain a lot more than 51 stamina since you'll be putting them in red/yellow gem slots, 36 more than 51 to be more exact. You also get the crab trinket, which has a healthy dose of stamina as well. For other professions I'd suggest alchemy, which is cheap to level, inscription for the shoulder enhancements, or blacksmithing for the extra gem slots.

Just to add, it's frustrating knowing you're right and trying to help someone who won't listen. I've given up on my crusade to stop dumb druids from stacking stamina a long time ago, I don't even know why I cared in the first place, after all it's not my druid they're ruining.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuurlol
    JC and BS are the best professions to min/max your gear, whatever role you play in a raid.

Don't forget Resistance Fur Linings and 90 Stam on Bracers from LW.
    Making LW next to JC a fine profession for a Furtank.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilsoap
    If you're using 3x +41 stamina gems then you're going to gain a lot more than 51 stamina since you'll be putting them in red/yellow gem slots, 36 more than 51 to be more exact. You also get the crab trinket, which has a healthy dose of stamina as well. For other professions I'd suggest alchemy, which is cheap to level, inscription for the shoulder enhancements, or blacksmithing for the extra gem slots.

Just to add, it's frustrating knowing you're right and trying to help someone who won't listen. I've given up on my crusade to stop dumb druids from stacking stamina a long time ago, I don't even know why I cared in the first place, after all it's not my druid they're ruining.

You gain 1 more stamina from JC than mining, as it's not 3x41 stamina gems, as you would be able to put in 3x24 stamina, so its 17 more per gem, which is 51.
    Mining gives you 50 stamina.

51-50 = 1.

Quote Originally Posted by newo

You gain 1 more stamina from JC than mining, as it's not 3x41 stamina gems, as you would be able to put in 3x24 stamina, so its 17 more per gem, which is 51.
    Mining gives you 50 stamina.

51-50 = 1.
    Are you talking about replacing +24 stamina gems with +41 stamina gems? If so, I really don't know what to say.

yeah. Because that's the reality of it.

at BEST, you can make the case that you can stick a 41 stamina gem into a yellow socket where the socket bonus must be retained (because blue and red sockets are filled with stam and agi anyway) -- at which point JCers potentially gain (123 - 48 = 75) stamina at the cost of 24 defense / hit rating. ASSUMING you need to keep the socket bonuses, which is rare.

And as epic gems become more prevalent and people have access to 30 stamina gems, that advantage drops precipitously.

For a feral druid, there's hardly a socket bonus out there that's not worth getting, all I see is +X agility or +X stamina. The whole point of prismatic gems is so you don't have to use an orange or purple gem in a red or blue slots to get the socket bonus. In that case, if you're using a hybrid stamina gem, the gain is 29 stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilsoap
    Are you talking about replacing +24 stamina gems with +41 stamina gems? If so, I really don't know what to say.

Im talking about the benefit of JC over Mining, as mentioned.

Which is, statwise, 1 stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by newo

Im talking about the benefit of JC over Mining, as mentioned.

Which is, statwise, 1 stamina.
    Putting +41 stamina gems in blue gem slots is as useful as spirit on a shaman. If you're smart with your prismatic gems you'll gain a lot more than 51 stamina.

No, you won't. That's the point. in the BEST CASE scenario I laid out, you gain 25 stamina over mining or leatherworking, and you lose 24 def rating (or hit rating).

And in the vast majority of cases, your tanking gear won't have three yellow sockets that have set bonuses so awesome (stam or agi) to match them.

25 stamina at the start of ulduar is not close to an awesome advantage -- and will diminish as epic gems are available. JCing's strength is in its versatility (27 agi gems, spellpower gems for dual spec).

No, you won't. That's the point. in the BEST CASE scenario I laid out, you gain 25 stamina over mining or leatherworking, and you lose 24 def rating (or hit rating).

And in the vast majority of cases, your tanking gear won't have three yellow sockets that have set bonuses so awesome (stam or agi) to match them.

25 stamina at the start of ulduar is not close to an awesome advantage -- and will diminish as epic gems are available. JCing's strength is in its versatility (27 agi gems, spellpower gems for dual spec).

I have no idea where you got your math from, '123 - 48 = 75'? Where does the 48 come from? 3 hybrid stamina gems give 36 stamina, the difference comes out to 87 at the expense of whatever else was on those gems before. Its placement is also not restricted to yellow gem slots.

I'm not convinced you know what you're talking about when you're referring to the 'vast majority of cases', are we still talking about feral druids? If so, have you seen feral T7, T8, or any of the off tier pieces? We're also not talking about the state of the game in half a year or more. I don't really see your epic gems argument as valid, nor would it be very effective even if it was valid, since you'd gain an extra 3 stamina per hybrid stamina gem.

Anyways, I guess I'll repeat myself, if you're smart with your prismatic gems (and you're only using +41 stamina gems for whatever reason) you'll gain a lot more than 51 stamina, and I'll leave it at that. There's really nothing left to be said that would be worth my effort.

I made a mistake on the 8 def / 12 stam maths, sorry. You're right, the overall advantage is 87 stamina minus the 50 free stamina from LWing or mining or enchanting (48 on enchanting), so 37 stamina tops.

And I count 2 yellow sockets on T7 and 2 yellow sockets on T8. And the boots from Loatheb do have another yellow socket, but the bonus is AP so it shouldn't matter.

My point is that going JC simply for the stamina boost is dumb, because the stamina boost is negligible. You should go JC for the versatility on dual specs. As a feral you'll never use a prismatic in anything but yellow slots, and there's just not enough yellow slots with great socket bonuses to make it worthwhile.

As epic gems become more standard, the advantage to JCing drops substantially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuurlol
    Maybe, there will be no new standard epic gems. The ones released in WotLk are all unique-equipped so far.

Just don't go herbalism

tbh, inscription...
    Awsome shoulder enchant and possibly better things to come.

15+ Year Old Account

The funny thing is... who the fuck cares about 41 stamina gems? :P

The strong point form JC is having 3 prismatic AGILITY gems, which is something Mining will never give.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

^---- this