Thread: Paladin Tanking

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Paladin Tanking

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    I don't know. We only use paladins for special occasions (Thorim arena). Our feral and DK tanks are the two we rely on to MT/OT every encounter in Ulduar. Your mileage may vary.

I think what GC has said is correct though: every tanking class is being used for every encounter by different guilds. I personally think that's a good thing.
    I think you might still be stuck on the whole max stamina ftw! stance of when all the hardest hitting bosses were casters...
    this in turn meant high hp and magic mitigation = win.

Paladins and DKs take the least physical damage right now. I believe a DK who knows what he's doign will get hit less than a paladin, but the damage is spikier. Paladins are much more predictable..

I am easily able to maintank the bosses in ulduar, as a raid we decide it's usually best for me to pick up adds instead simply because I would be better at it than the druid.. perhaps this could be the reason your guild relies on druids/dks to MT so much?

You have to remember you aren't raiding by yourself, and although everyone loves staring at a bosses knee and maintanking, it may not always be the best thing for the raid if you could do something else more efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMaster
    I didnt say that the other tanks aint viable ones. We're all fine, but there are specific situations where I just wouldnt let the feral, dk, warrior MT or OT.

Like I said before, DKs are better than Paladins when it comes to fast AoE threat, but they also eat more dmg ... Conclusion: I'd never let the DK do the AoE job at Kologarn when we'd be in an immortal run.
    There aren't "immortal runs" in ulduar.
    It can take as many lockouts as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstrike
    I think you might still be stuck on the whole max stamina ftw! stance of when all the hardest hitting bosses were casters...
    this in turn meant high hp and magic mitigation = win.

[. . .]
    I'm not the raid leader. All I know is our Feral is most often the one tanking the boss. But like I said, your mileage may vary.

Just to counter your point, however, some of the hardest hitting attacks in Ulduar are non-physical damage. Steelbreaker's fusion punch is nature damage. Hodir's frozen blows are frost damage. Mimiron phase one plasma blast is fire (?) damage. Thorim's chain lightning (if the tank gets chained) is nature damage. The exception is probably Vezax during his Surge.

I'm sure paladins can tank Ulduar just fine. We just don't do it that way, and that's not to say we're doing it the best way at all.

Oh... can prot paladins tank Vezax? Just wondering for my own info as sometimes I tank in our 10 man runs.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I'm going to further derail this thread since all the really important things can be found at the resources posted earlier.

My guild uses tanks of every class for different fights. Granted, we're not all the way through Ulduar yet, but to give you an idea:

Ignis: DK MT, 2 prot pallies on adds, one picking up, the other one shattering.
    Razorscale: Pally/DK on small adds, Druid on Sentinels. Rotate for boss, obviously.
    XT-002: Pallies on adds, DK is dual spec to DPS, Druid MT.
    Kologarn: Pallies on Kolo, Druid DPSing, DK on adds.
    Iron Councill: DK on Steelbreaker, Pally on Runemaster, Warrior (if he shows) for Stormcaller, otherwise a pally.
    Auriaya: Pallies on adds, Druid on Auriaya, Pallies on Feral Defender (if you have iHoJ, it is great during fears.)
    Hodir: Pally MT, Druid in partial frost resist for frozen blows.

You can see, we mix it up a lot. Certain people are better at certain things, so we tend to "bring the player" for our Ulduar runs.
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

turning out to be an interesting tanking threat guys,

my main is a druid tank, my guild is a 10 man guild at general vezax at the moment, we have a pretty broad selection of tanks for ulduar even though we are a small guild.

on a normal raid day we have a dk, pala and me for tank choices, they all have nax 25 geared dual specs so we can about switch around as we see fit.

we tend to look at what a person is best at for fights, for instance i might not have the best aoe threat out of the 3 but i can handle the aoe dammage best (in most cases). seeing as threat is never realy an issue (lets say i out threat the highest dps 2x and the pally does 3x, who cares?) the aoe is just what ill be mostly handling. the dk we use for fights with spelldammage things (frozenblows) where as i get to suck up alot of raw phys dps aswell.

i think for us the difrences arent that great, i could tank every boss in ulduar (so far) and so can both the other tanks. its probbably very player dependent on what ur guild takes to mt and stuff.

*ploink!* wops seem to have dropped my 2 cents somewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by nium
    [size=10pt] Devs: Our nerfs will block the sun.
    Druids: Then we shall tank in the shade! ...[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Autodidact
    There aren't "immortal runs" in ulduar.
    It can take as many lockouts as you see fit.
    If you fuck up on a boss, you dont have another chance in the same ID. And I'd prefer doing hardmodes instead of stupid immortal tries. :<

With our current progression, our guild is quite fine with me as a Main Tank for almost every fight (I'm Paladin).
    Some fights favour other tanks, though. Auriaya favours a Warrior tank (Can break fear instantly and interrupt her Sentinel Blast), Thorim favours a Druid tank (Due to likely being crit less than a Paladin on Unbalancing Strikes when Taunt comes late or resisted), Mimiron favours a DK Tank (More Oh-Shit!-Buttons for Mimiron's Cooldowns), same goes for Iron Council (Steelbreaker)
    Although I tank all of them except Auriaya (who is tanked by our Warrior) since we have no DK Tank and our Feral likes to be Kitty more than being Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    Oh... can prot paladins tank Vezax? Just wondering for my own info as sometimes I tank in our 10 man runs.
    Yes, they can. At least with Pursuit of Justice, I don't know if it is possible without (Or with Boots Enchant only), you'd maybe need a Hunter, then.

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMaster
    If you fuck up on a boss, you dont have another chance in the same ID. And I'd prefer doing hardmodes instead of stupid immortal tries. :<
    You forgot the "on that boss"

Quote Originally Posted by Shikari
    Yes, they can. At least with Pursuit of Justice, I don't know if it is possible without (Or with Boots Enchant only), you'd maybe need a Hunter, then.
    Oh, I meant mana-wise.

I had completely forgotten about running away from Surge. We just heal our druid through it. I know, dumb probably, but we started doing it that way one week when Vezax seemed to be bugged and wasn't running slow like he should (he could catch our druid even if he went cat and dashed away immediately).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

You ~will~ need at least Spiritual Attunement 1/2, you won't get anything from Divine Plea, only from Blessing of Sanctuary (and SA)

Martini

Quote Originally Posted by Shikari
    You ~will~ need at least Spiritual Attunement 1/2, you won't get anything from Divine Plea, only from Blessing of Sanctuary (and SA)
    Could you explain what you mean by not getting anything from DP?

Literally, on Vezax DP does not function. You get 0 mana from it. It's a mechanic of that boss.

Martini

Quote Originally Posted by Tyneside
    Literally, on Vezax DP does not function. You get 0 mana from it. It's a mechanic of that boss.
    gotch i didn't read previous posts

I am assuming the 3% Dmg reduction from the glyph still works?
    Conall the Undying - 80 Protection Paladin (WoW Armory not working atm).

Quote Originally Posted by Conall
    I am assuming the 3% Dmg reduction from the glyph still works?
    I can't say with absolute certainty that there isn't a mishmash in the spells, but abilities don't "not function" - you are simply immune to the mana regen effects of various things.

So I would assume it still works.

If you know you won't be MT'ing raids much, if at all, would swapping out the Judgment Glyph for Hammer of the Righteous Glyph be a good idea?

Hitting an extra target seems like it might be valuable on trash and tanking heroics, etc.

For heroics, I would run w/ SoV, DP and HotR probably, yes.

Martini

I'm running Salv, DP, and SoV

I was just wondering now that i got some gear i tought(spelling?) that what if i get more than 540 def rating does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclaer
    I was just wondering now that i got some gear i tought(spelling?) that what if i get more than 540 def rating does it matter?
    Def rating is very good, in fact per point it gives you the most combined avoidance of al of the ratings... once you reach 102.4% combined avoidance (miss+dodge+parry+block with holy shield) Def rating does come less desireable than dodge, but until then def stacking is perfectly acceptable if not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstrike
    Def rating is very good, in fact per point it gives you the most combined avoidance of al of the ratings... once you reach 102.4% combined avoidance (miss+dodge+parry+block with holy shield) Def rating does come less desireable than dodge, but until then def stacking is perfectly acceptable if not recommended.
    Ok dumb question time. How does one know what your %miss is?