Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When & how often do you use Mind Sear?

I have a Priest :-* And I'm enjoying instance, leveling and tried some arena, world pvp.
    Have not reached level 75 yet where I learn Mind Sear.
    But it's my next new spell to learn and as a Shadow Priest I am very curious how 'good' it really is and more important how much fun?

So anyone like to share some thoughts about how often and when they use Mind Sear?
    Maybe tell me when it's most effective or when it is bad using it?

Re: When & how often do you use Mind Sear?

trash in naxx, or where ever aoe is needed.

and i seen spriests top the dps meters (on trash) with that spell

trash with more monsters than 4

god, i hate 3 mob / 4 mob pulls

Thanks for the reply and informartion Don't stop.

But maybe someone could tell me how this spell could be effective in arena or world pvp and if not, why?

Did you read the tooltip of the spell? It's useless in arenas, completely. In world pvp - when 40 opposing faction members are killing some boss in one of the cities.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Did you read the tooltip of the spell? It's useless in arenas, completely. In world pvp - when 40 opposing faction members are killing some boss in one of the cities.
    I don't know much about arena but could it not be effective to quickly kill Druid's, Force of Nature minions?
    Or the Mage's, Mirror Image? :-\

i've seen a priest use mind sear to draw out the rogue stealthed next to his paladin team mate in an arena match.

same priest used mind sear to clear up mirror images and treants(yes, a pvp boomkin at 1800. it's possible).

i popped mind sear on the MT of an orgrimmar raid and i'd like to say i helped contribute a fair portion to their wipe.

any trash pull with 3 or more mobs makes mind sear efficient enough to use over mind flay. annoying that it doesnt refresh pain though.

my favorite thing about mind sear is doing the spider quarter trash pulls. i love competing with hunters, rogues, boomkins and mages for top dps. we can tear up meters with big enough trash pulls. I'm talking 26k+ from us 5 when we pulled faerlina's entire room.

saved a lowbie from an AoE pull gone wrong in HfP. he'd gotten cocky with his unholy build and pulled 2 whole groups of buzzards.

i certainly appreciate the fact that i'm currently a priest when i bring my priest into the first few rooms of the contruct quarter. standing around, watching everyone else range AoE the slimes is boring on my rogue.

needed to clear a few mobs in a hallway for a lowbie. i mind seared the one farthest away, and he killed all the others as he ran towards me. hit him with a death and didnt take a scratch.

i've seen a priest single handedly save wintergrasp from being ninja'd 10 times in one battle using mind sear.

saving a flag in AB from 5 different enemies trying to cap it is easy when you can nail all of them with a mind sear/SW:death combo.

edit: added a few more examples

seriously, mind sear is probably my most appreciated new feature as a wotlk shadow priest. the only thing i wish is that i could have had it for hyjal. patch 3.0 gave me an AoE...kinda. holy nova dancing was fun and all, but my FpS always bordered near 0 with all the trash covering my screen. mind sear woulda made that alot cooler.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts about Mind Sear
    Now I just can't wait to get it, hopefully tonight or tomorrow sometime!

Raige, I think your post was awsome to read. Special thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Raige
    i've seen a priest use mind sear to draw out the rogue stealthed next to his paladin team mate in an arena match.
    Well, it is useful against dumb people, no doubt about it. But if you Mind Sear mirror images - you're such a nice target for getting counterspelled for three million ages considering it's a 5sec channeled shadow spell

But in world pvp.. it shines there, especially if they're killing the king in IF and there are only 6 shadow priests outside the room mind searing their heart out

I use it to

a) help hordies hehe

b) farm shovaltusk meat

It's the ONLY spell I use in Wintergrasp. I feal like God!

Also nice for grinding, killing summons in pvp, etc.

One of the best things that ever happened to priests.

Well, it is useful against dumb people, no doubt about it. But if you Mind Sear mirror images - you're such a nice target for getting counterspelled for three million ages considering it's a 5sec channeled shadow spell
    Dumb ppl, yes, right... being spell locked in shadow as a disc priest in arena is a very, very good thing!

you will be loving this spell so much when you're raiding trash mobs in naxx, the only moot point is that it doesn't hit your target and it is target based, which can be annoying when you've got 4 mages and a lock constantly killing your targets

it's a good thing it doesnt hurt your target.

if it did, and your target died, you just lost channeling time, which means less damage on all the other mobs it's hitting and less mana efficiency.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    If it takes more than 2 ticks to kill mirror images then you've got other problems to worry about not a counterspell. Seeing how 1 tick on a target non crit is nearly equal to the amount of SP you have. At say 2k SP then that's 2k ticks and mirror images have what 2500 HP?

But to the OP, its a great spell for grinding. When I go out & do my Oracle's dailies I pull 8-10 of them and put dots on the one I'm targeting & mindsear. They all go down fairly quick unless I get too many of the ranged guys to kill since they like to spread out for AOE >

15+ Year Old Account

Noth and naxx trash as healer . Sucks when you can't clearly see if there is one or more mobs left though.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by Raige
    it's a good thing it doesnt hurt your target.

if it did, and your target died, you just lost channeling time, which means less damage on all the other mobs it's hitting and less mana efficiency.
    Which would simply be fixed if it didn't require a target at all. as it is, there are s few benefits to it's current mechanics, but nothing I would cry for if it would just become a normal AoE spell

as a player that uses keybindings, i think the current mechanics of mind sear are perfect. i dont have to click where i want to to be centered, i can just tab to my target.

One thing I would love would be if Mind Sear could be cast on friendly players. You could use it for finding rogues or cast it on the tank and not have to worry about the target being DPS'd down before you finish the channel.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

i never really liked AoE grinding as a priest. just seemed more mana efficient to take them all down seperately. and, being a clothie, i wasn't comfortable with mroe than 3 mobs beating on me.