Thread: Hodir Tank's

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hodir Tank's

ok question.. i was talking to a few top guilds .. killed yogg 2nd week (due to server malfunctions) but killed Hodir since first week. and they all tell me that you need Frost Resist gear to tank Hodir .. and im trying to figure out why anyone would do this ..doesnt anyone else do this and can tell me why ?.. because when we were on Hodir 25 we had wiped was just me and a pally healer alive and just to prove me didnt need 2 tanks (we were using some stupid strat) i sat there and tanked him for 2 minutes. And no this isnt me trying to tell people what i did i could give to shits about that .. im just trying to figure out if there is a seriously reason or people just dont know how to rotate cooldowns ?

Deleted

Re: Hodir Tank's

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=62478

That is why people use a tank in Frost Resistance gear. We do only use one tank however and have our dps watch their threat. I guess this will change when, and if, we attempt the Hard Mode.

Not all tanks have the magical damage mitigation of a DK. And nice avoiding of those rocket strikes!

Not every tank is a death knight. I only really have Divine Protection and I use it during frozen blows but I use a frost resist set for the fight and it makes Frozen Blows much less of a threat.

We use one tank for Hodir, a Druid with frost resistance gear on, aggro isn't a problem at all really.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Omican
    We use one tank for Hodir, a Druid with frost resistance gear on, aggro isn't a problem at all really.
    Snap. Pity he sometimes likes to light a cigarette mid fight and just not move onto the piles of snow.

Yep, one tank and he has 3 pieces of resist gear for the frozed blows
    "Peace is a lie"

25-man we use a warrior MT and a DK (me) with FrR to taunt off when he has frozen blows.

10-man I solo-tank it without FrR.

We just have one tank that tanks in full frost gear. Hodir doesnt crush/crit or w/e so there is no need to switch to another tank at all.

1st) not saying all tanks are DK's .. i just thought most guilds would use DK tanks for this fight for the CD's

2nd) not bashing your strat just asking because its weird to me .. my old guild wanted to do it too and i told them they were dumbasses personally

3rd) About the rocket strike .. it was a joke we wiped so i was like "im gonna see if i can live through this .. its why its says "icebound fortitude you have failed me again" .. ya ..

I'm a Pally tank with 4 pieces of FrR + aura. Zero threat issues. Zero healing issues.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Omen321
    1st) not saying all tanks are DK's .. i just thought most guilds would use DK tanks for this fight for the CD's
    1. Not all guilds have DK tanks.

2nd) not bashing your strat just asking because its weird to me .. my old guild wanted to do it too and i told them they were dumbasses personally
    2. They're not dumbasses. Calling someone that for suggesting a strat while you're trying to learn a fight isn't very nice, to put it mildly.

Do you have to use frost resist? No, absolutely not. If you find it works without for you, then so be it. Don't call the rest of us idiots because we found a different strategy that works for us.

Does it help the healers, especially for those of us without DK cooldowns? Yes, in my experience. I'm not going to say that it's the only way.

In our case, I (as a druid) solo tank the fight in my regular tank gear + 3 pieces of frost resist. Would I die without using frost resist gear? Not necessarily. But as a tank, taking less damage during frozen blows allows my healers to focus on the raid -- remember that the entire raid is taking 4000 frost damage / 2 sec for 20 sec. The less of a burden I am, the less chance that someone else will die. We have no problems with threat or healing this way.

Do what works for you. If it's not wearing frost resist, good for you. If it involves a second tank wearing full frost resist or a single tank with combination gear, that's fine too.

If you feel the need to bash other people for using what works for them, take it somewhere else. We don't need namecalling or bragging.

Quote Originally Posted by Omican

You can do it with two tanks, trading taunts and using cooldowns or whatever for Frozen Blows, but we found it easier to just use 1 tank. We killed him on our 3rd or 4th pull in 25m the first week of 3.1. I'm a warrior that had pretty much best-in-slot before the patch, and then I swap in the 3 pieces of blacksmith-crafted frost resist plate, plus the frost resist jewelcrafting ring. Gemmed and enchanted them so that I was still defense-capped in that gear, and just tanked both phases the whole fight. Threat is a bit of a problem sometimes since I'm a warrior and lose quite a bit of hit/expertise to stay def-capped in FR gear, but positioning the boss between light beams to take advantage of the haste buff yourself too really helps. Survivability isn't a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    1. Not all guilds have DK tanks.

2. They're not dumbasses. Calling someone that for suggesting a strat while you're trying to learn a fight isn't very nice, to put it mildly.

Do you have to use frost resist? No, absolutely not. If you find it works without for you, then so be it. Don't call the rest of us idiots because we found a different strategy that works for us.

Does it help the healers, especially for those of us without DK cooldowns? Yes, in my experience. I'm not going to say that it's the only way.

In our case, I (as a druid) solo tank the fight in my regular tank gear + 3 pieces of frost resist. Would I die without using frost resist gear? Not necessarily. But as a tank, taking less damage during frozen blows allows my healers to focus on the raid -- remember that the entire raid is taking 4000 frost damage / 2 sec for 20 sec. The less of a burden I am, the less chance that someone else will die. We have no problems with threat or healing this way.

Do what works for you. If it's not wearing frost resist, good for you. If it involves a second tank wearing full frost resist or a single tank with combination gear, that's fine too.

If you feel the need to bash other people for using what works for them, take it somewhere else. We don't need namecalling or bragging.

1) you need to pocket one thats for damn sure .. they are so very usefull

2) the same person trying to tell me this also tried to tell me a druid and pally taunting back and for would be a good idea .. they died 5 seconds into frozen blows .. true story

3)the 4k damage to the raid is done by the raid healers .. pallys arnt raid healers
    .. and if you try to tell you you dont have pally healers then im just gonna laugh at you

4)i wasnt calling anyone names .. i was asking a question i said i called somone else a dumbass

Deleted

3)the 4k damage to the raid is done by the raid healers .. pallys arnt raid healers
    .. and if you try to tell you you dont have pally healers then im just gonna laugh at you
    The 4k / 2 sec is actually a huge amount of damage and I'm pretty certain that during this phase the paladins in our group throw some heals onto the raid.

I solo tank it without frost res gear, rawr, i'm a beast.

Having two tanks is kind of a waste of a dps slot.

And yes, aggro is an issue, especially when you're aiming for the timer.

Luckly im a rogue, I never have aggro issues. (vanish ftw)

But, When a lock is siting in a beam of pwnloldpsmotherfucker that is right beside a camp fire allowing him to stand still, his ganna out threat any tank. So make sure all your huntards/rogues are spamming MD/tricks on your tank

last night after we downed hodir, i glanced at the dps meters and i was siting at 9k. for the average of the fight.

so. if your tank is moving hodir so your melee can dps in the beams, and you see numbers like mine, your ganna need to help your tank out.

Well, Paladin or DK should find it easier with the Toasty fire buff on the boss (50% increased magic dmg taken)

when we used our warrior tank he had threat issues
    when we used out paladin tank no issues at all

so now our paladin has 4 piece FR set, and we 1 shot it 2 weeks in a row..

man if you get teh shaman buff as a DK .. its smooth sailing Threat is never a problam ever again on that fight

I think having an extra tank in full frost gear wouldn't be SUCH a bad idea.
    Sure you lose SOME dps but really it's ok.
    The main problem when he uses his forst punch is that raid damage is pretty high, so healers have a "tough" time healing raid + tank. Whereas with a frost gear tank they wouldn't have to deal with healing the tank that much and concentrate more on the raid.
    Though once this encounter is on "farm" mode or if you're aiming for the timer, 1tank ftw, as you'll need all the dps you need. That tank can have a couple of frost gear ( they give LOADS of stam so it's win-win).
    Threat isn't that much of an issue in 25man, loads of hunters and rogue giving more threat to the tank and in the end most ( i said MOST !) classes have vanish like abilities.