Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: S Priests, whats your key set ups 1 through to = :)

how on earth do you move....
    All of my movements are done by mouse. I guess if I wanted/needed strafe bade enough I could bind that to my left and right side mouse keys... but meh.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    It depends on your keyboard I guess, but moving your move buttons 1 button from the normal is not gonna make much of difference anyway :S
    No matter if you use EDSF or WSAD for movement, the standard hotkeys from 6/7 on onwards are extremly awkward and cannot be pressed without leaving your resting position on the movement keys. Having to move your hand on the keyboard is always a sign of a bad layout.

Oh and concerning the WSAD/EDSF debate, let me point out some things EDSF offers that WSAD cannot:

- normal resting position of the hand: your index finger is on the F key, which not only means you won't have to move your hand when you want to reply to someone while playing, but also can you always find the "home" position even in the dark if you moved your hand (like when I take a smoke which I do with my left hand :P). This is because on every keyboard the F and J keys have slight elevations, bubbles, or something else that you can feel with your finger, so you know this is the F key.

- much more buttons available to the pinky finger: With WSAD your pinky is pretty much bound to TAB, SHIFT, CTRL and ~. Not much to do for Mr. Pinky. With EDSF your pinky can press all of the before mentioned ones PLUS: 1, Q, A, Y(Z on US keyboards) and | (or whatever is left of Z on US keyboards). These are the buttons which you would use your ring finger for with WSAD. The ringfinger is used for moving to the left though, which would mean if you press Q, A, Y or something on that side with your ringfinger you cannot use those abilities while strafing left. EDSF means I can always instantly use skills on QAY|1 while moving into any direction.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I use WASD but as Aether said - ESDF gives you more buttons to have under control. However, I am using WASD for a decade now and I simply don't want to change it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    I use WASD but as Aether said - ESDF gives you more buttons to have under control. However, I am using WASD for a decade now and I simply don't want to change it.
    I did so too, in Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake and what-have-you.

Then came StarSiege: Tribes 2 - IMHO to this day the very finest online shooter there is. Perfect mix on tactics, strategy, vehicles, cool weapons, jetpacks, ... but I'm drifting off.
    Tribes 2 had this "funky" EDSF default keyboard layout. And Tribes 2 hat like a 100 hotkeys for all the different packs, quickchat commandos, and what not. I just couldn't be arsed to completely change all that to my liking so I gave the default layout a choice.

And I had Rapture. EDSF was awesome. Since this day I am on a crusade to enlighten WSAD peons, so one day they too may walk the glorious path of EDSF.

Nah, not really, but I just felt like saying that last thing.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

If you played quake actively, you can't say tribes was better
    Nothing in the gaming world (save starcraft) beats quake (first one) in skill requirements. We're kinda offtopic but those were the days

1 VT
    2 MB
    3 MF
    4 DP
    5 (or so) Mind Sear

(S1 = shift + 1 ...)

S1 VE
    S2 Dispell Magic
    S3 SW:D
    S4 SW:P
    S5 both trinkets with shift mod
    S6 Rezz

alt-e, alt-q healpot, mana pot

WASD - move ... some movement with mouse
    Shift + Mwheel is zooming

Mwheel up: VE
    Mwheel down: DP
    ctrl + Mwheel up: SW:P
    ctrl + Mwheel down: SW:D

I'm using a G5 Mouse so ...
    Mouse 4: Fade, +shift: Psychic Scream, +ctrl: Dispersion, +alt: Hymn of Hope (just in case)
    Mouse 5: PW:S (on self only), +shift: Inner Fire, +ctrl: PW:S (mouseover target), +alt: Renew (again just in case)

most other spells are on hotkeys too but they aren't that important or i just missed them right away (haven't played my spriest for couple of weeks)

oh yeah and some buttons are macroed with ctrl/shift/aqlt modifiers so i don't clutter all my bars with that crap ... i'm using 3 fully hokeyd 12 button actionbars and 1 non hotkeyd for food/drink elixiers/flasks

some spells are asigned to more than one button because i sometimes lack to run around (wasd) eg. thadius and then hit a number button to setup another DP while running so i just use the Mwheel for that in that case ... some migth say "look he can'T keyboard run and cayst speels lol L2P OMFGWTFBBQ" heard that some times already but to me it's just a valid workaround ... in fact i didn't cause a wipe while running (or not running) other than the ppl that flamed me ... so ^.^
    Welcome to the Internet, where the men are men, the women are men, the children are police officers, everyone is correct all of the time, even when they're wrong, and where opinions are more valid the more insults and swear words you include with them.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    If you played quake actively, you can't say tribes was better
    Nothing in the gaming world (save starcraft) beats quake (first one) in skill requirements. We're kinda offtopic but those were the days
    That might be true but you can't really compare quake to tribes (or CS or Battlefield). Quake and Unreal always were more of a frag-type shooter which valued reaction over everything else pretty much. In tribes you would have to have those skills (mastering the disc launcher was a hard task, but oh so rewarding. disc launcher > rocket launcher btw ) and on top of that you had to coordinate, you had a commander, you had all those different classes.

I always was the one in scout armor jumping aroud tasering and disc'ing people from stealth and vanishing right after to search for my next victim.

BRB, searching for tribes 2 install :P

Oh, you had those elements in both games you mentioned but everything was so fast that it seems like people are just shooting blindly around and running cluelessly :>
    Teamplay was exceptionally hard when you need to defend the teammate and protect the spot you guard.

I played nearly all "teamplay" games and nothing comes close to how much teamwork you need to input in quake 1-2-3 and Unreal Tournament, not even famous CS. But in the end, everyone likes different game style so we can't judge what's better if you like game A and I like game B

Deleted

1=Devouring Plague
    Alt-E=Shadow Word:Pain
    Alt-Q=Vampiric Touch
    X= Vampiric embrace
    Q=Mind Flay
    E=Mind Blast
    R=Shadow Wordeath
    F=Psychic Scream
    G=Psychic Horror
    4=Silence
    2=Dispel
    3=Mass Dispel
    T=Disperion
    Alt-D=mana burn
    C=Shadow Fiend
    Alt-1=trinket(platinum disc of sorcery)
    F4=Mind Control
    Alt-4=Holy Fire(in case i take CS)
    Y=flash heal
    V=renew
    Shift-V=greater heal
    Middle Mouse button Click=Shield
    Alt-R=Prayer of Mending
    U=Binding heal
    Alt-5=Divine Hymn(use it often)
    N=Mind sear
    6-7-8-9=buffs
    5=Shadowform
    Alt-F= Fade
    Alt-2=Insignia
    Caps lock=Abolish disease
    F1=shadowmeld
    Alt-3=Lifeblood(herbalism)
    Alt-`= Fear Ward
    F2=levitate
    Shift-T=holy nova
    Shift-R=Hymn of hope

1 = Mind Blast
    2 = Mind Flay
    3 = Vampiric Touch
    4 = Devouring Plague
    5 = Shadow Word:Pain
    6 = Mind Control
    7 = Mind Vision <3
    SHIFT+1 = Shadow Wordeath
    SHIFT+2 = Power Word: Shield
    SHIFT+3 = Psychic Scream (should probably change this come to think of it)
    SHIFT+4 = Vampiric Embrace
    SHIFT+5 = Shadowfiend
    SHIFT+E = Fade
    SHIFT+R = Mind Sear (faceroll)
    CTRL+1 = Flash Heal
    CTRL+2 = Renew
    CTRL+3 = Greater Heal
    CTRL+4 = Prayer of Mending
    CTRL+5 = Prayer of Healing
    CTRL+E = Dispersion
    F1 = Dispel
    F2 = Abolish Disease
    F3 = Holy Nova
    F4 = Mind Soothe
    F5 = Fishing <3
    MOUSE5 = Wand
    MOUSE4 = Mass Dispel <- Felmyst change of keybinding anyone?

Deleted

1. Vampiric embrace
    2. Shadow wordain
    3. Vampiric Touch
    4. Mind flay
    5. Mana burn

Q: Power word: shield
    E: Mind blast
    R: Devouring plague
    T: Dispersion
    X: Psychic scream
    C: Shadow word: death

Left Mousbutton