Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Question, Holy Light Vs FoL

Prot is decent in 10 mans, for a large majority of the fights you don't need to HL other than in oh shit moments, which is where you miss Light's Grace and bacon on stuff like XT

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbender
    For what it's worth, up to kologarn, i use mostly FoL anyway. I use HL on tantrums / jets, but that's about it. Spamming HL only increases my overhealing
    /facepalm. this is only half true. spamming HL does jack your overheals through the roof but it also will obviously increase your effective healing as well. you can say that you do just fine with FoL and that you don't have a hard time keeping your tank capped, but how about helping your other healers out? if you can pick up raid healing, then you can sit a few healers and bring more dps. we 4 healed 3 lights down tonight and trust me... i can count on my hand the number of FoLs i cast. on another fight, i ended up casting 120 HLs (yes, i checked) in just under 9 minutes. was my overhealing off the charts? yeh... but my raid wouldn't have lived without it.

if you have the mana- use it. translated: use HL (a lot)!

we have another pally on raid healing.
    i'm tank duty, so if help on raid, GCD, tank goes red, bah.

no thank you?

WHEN i can (tank is topped and no special attack inc), cast a HS or HL at the raid. The latter suck awfully since the nerf to 8', except on fight where we're clumped up together (i see _1_)

Why would i do something the shamans and priests do 10x better ?

Except for meters ofc, the raid healing pally got twice my healing... but i only look at dps meters anyway.

ANYWAY. i try to adapt to the fights.

here's XT2, 50% HL :
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/c...=10453&e=11002
    Razor, 70% FoL :
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/c...?s=8314&e=8989
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fknight/simple
    Can Heal, Tank, DPS, and go AFK like no other.

The most efficient heal in the game, is by far PoM..
    Ok im new to hotkeying so im most likely doing something wrong.

I can hotkey alt to anything but the function keys. I can do alt+f1, f2, f3 but when i get to f4 it crashes my game EVERY TIME! Its annoying because I have to reset all my hotkeys cuz a game crash doesnt save them. Please fix soon!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=43236.0 here is why Hl is far better than FoL.

Becareful wall of text is ready to crit u on the face!!!

Iv tryed just spamming holy light and you just go oom. so i dont get y people compare HL and FoL as if you can only use one. My say in this is to use both wisely. FoL spam till you can see that the tank is getting hit harder then hit your HL. When you need to do some raid healing use your HL(because of the glyp its like a Aoe heal). I usally mix Both HL and FoL up and i always use my Holy shocks. If i need alot of heals going to the tank i FoL spam and Use Holy shock when it comes up every time and get teh free FoL this puts out less heals tehn HL spaming but i dont go oom at the end.

The word "overhealing" really has almost no place in a discussion about Holy Pally healing. Don't worry about it, don't consider it, don't even look at it. Ever. Generally what happens is some Priest Healing Class Lead who doesn't understand Holy Pallies puts a burr up the butt of some impressionable Holy Pally about his overhealing. For other classes, this is something they watch and a measure of their effectiveness.

It is not for us.

We overheal. A lot. In fact, if you're not topping overhealing by a wide margin, you're doing it wrong. Being a Holy Pally is all about spamming the biggest heal you can afford to cast over and over and over again. I'm not advocating brainlessness... If you know your tank won't be taking any damage for 10 seconds, stop healing him. But if there's any possibility of incoming damage, you should be spamming HL.

Why HL? Because you can. HL spam is vastly superior to FoL spam. In one second you can heal 4k with a FoL or, in 1.3 seconds you can heal 11k with a HL. Which you should choose should be obvious. The only other factor is mana resources. HL spam uses far more mana. However with Int and Crit stacking (along with judicious casting, smart use of Plea and the occasional Wisdom enhanced swing at the boss) you should be more than able to sustain your HL spam over the course of any fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Holypali
    Iv tryed just spamming holy light and you just go oom.
    With all due respect, if this is the case, you're doing it wrong.

Edit:
    To clarify... When I (and most people) say "spam HL" we don't actually literally mean cast HL on every cooldown to the exclusion of all other spells. We just mean that the vast majority (70-80%) of your healing spells should be HL. If you know a steady stream of low damage is all that's going to hit the tank, then FoL is totally the way to go. Likewise if you know your tank is okay for a moment or two and want to help top off the raid, FoL it is. Or if you know that no damage will be coming at all, stop casting and take the time to refresh your SS, JotP, Beacon, etc.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Overhealing only matters if you are going oom and people are dying as a result.

Otherwise (as detailed above) it's nothing to be concerned about; indeed, it means you're doing your job.

If others are sniping your heals, let them. As long as you're not forcing people to heal your assignments and thereby exposing other raid members to possible death, that just comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Holypali
    Iv tryed just spamming holy light and you just go oom.
    Then your gear/cooldown management isn't good enough

HL spam isn't just spamspamspamspamspamspamspamspam HL, you have to know how to use your cooldowns effectively, have decent enough gear and know when spamming HL non stop is worthless (this would be when you pop plea)

On iron council using the big heals and beacon the 3e tank I can keep the 2e tank up on my own (normal mode) as a paladin so the two other healers can keep up the first tank. P.s. sometimes like on Mimiron phase 2 you just cant use more then one double couldown as healing is way needed all the time. (mana back and wings at the same moment). I dont have a nice on use trinket anymore, just the normall change on casting ones.

on what ulduar bosses can you use the seal of wisdom? oO

i can but think that razor = pwn, ignis = pwned, kolo = wtfbbq, council = hmmm.

XT2 might be manageable. and?

Deleted

^ Do you speak English?

Occasionally meleeing for SoW is possible on virtually every boss in Ulduar. You do not have to though. But you can just run in, get a couple of swings in, and run out again, if you are really out of mana. Should never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf
    ^ Do you speak English?
    Not really when tired and busy keeping crappy MOSS servers up, sorry.
    Also, i'm french

Occasionally meleeing for SoW is possible on virtually every boss in Ulduar. You do not have to though. But you can just run in, get a couple of swings in, and run out again, if you are really out of mana. Should never happen.
    i'll try, thanks. so far almost never went OOM anyway.

^ Do you speak English?

Just to give an example, I usually heal Steelbreaker's tank on Iron Council hard mode(steelbreaker last). I'll position myself directly on top of the tank, so I can keep myself up with glyphed HL splash heals. In the second or so that I stop healing - preparing to instantly dispel fusion punch - I usually can get 2 swings off on the boss. This results in literally endless mana for me. Other bosses that you can do this effectively on include Auriaya, Kologarn(sit on the left arm), Freya, Ignis(while you stopcast for flame jets), Razorscale(until phase 2), Yogg Saron(sit next to a corruptor or constrictor tentacle).

The idea isn't that you're running around hitting things the whole fight, but that you're positioning yourself next to something you can auto attack for mana between GCDs - when you cleanse, after Holy Shock casts, etc. It's very effective once you get used to it.

I've said it a billion times on these boards, I'll say it again. A high SP Paladin using primarily FoL can be effective. There's a Paladin officer in the top guild on my server who gems for SP and uses FoL/HS primarily. The GM in the guild ranked second on my server gems for Int and uses HL primarily. Both guilds downed Yogg in the first week Ulduar was released. Both guilds are good. Both players are good.

From my perspective, it is all about healing synergy. If you always raid with the same people, try and figure out what works best for you and your guild.
    Ephemera - Grievance - Thrall [H]
    Sybilfawlty - We Have Cookies - Stormrage [A]

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobubblin
    I've said it a billion times on these boards, I'll say it again. A high SP Paladin using primarily FoL can be effective. There's a Paladin officer in the top guild on my server who gems for SP and uses FoL/HS primarily. The GM in the guild ranked second on my server gems for Int and uses HL primarily. Both guilds downed Yogg in the first week Ulduar was released. Both guilds are good. Both players are good.

From my perspective, it is all about healing synergy. If you always raid with the same people, try and figure out what works best for you and your guild.
    Very well said. I'll even take it a step further and say that having two holy paladins, one socketing for SP and flash casting and the other HL spamming with Int gear work extremely well together. This was true in TBC, and it remains the case today.

Well this is actually an upbeat discussion for once. I agree with the past couple posters that HL and FoL builds both exist and actually work good in tandem. A FoL build works well with deep prot, especially without a guild prot pally, and HL build works great with 51/0/20 type crit builds.

I'm an example of a FoL build... though so many have disagreed with my effectiveness, our guild has cleared up to yogg on uld25 and should get him this week.

Raid buffed Flash of Light heals for 5.4k/8.1k crit on a 1.01s cast. Why should I be spamming Holy Light and Divine Mortal Strike?
    Because HL is ~12k/18k on a 1.38 second cast? I don't understand how people can back FoL. Also, why Plea? I rarely do and have no mana issues. And when I do use it, it's at times when it doesn't negatively effect me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintry
    I'm an example of a FoL build... though so many have disagreed with my effectiveness, our guild has cleared up to yogg on uld25 and should get him this week.
    You're an example of a sub-optimal build. 28/43/0? Really? There's a good reason why everyone tells you your build is bad.

All that crap in the Prot tree to get +30% of your Stam added to your SP. The irony is that you couldn't get Holy Guidance which would have added +20% of your Int instead. You basically give up like 5 of the best Holy Pally abilities for a less than 100 sp gain. GZ

I mean, hell, you can't even Holy Shock! I like how a silly fact like not being able to use it didn't stop you from spending three points in Sanctified Light though. ROFL
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbender
    In a ideal world, we would all dance and sing in flower field making peace with everyone
    fixed.. oh wait.. :-\
    a mix of the 2, depending on the situation.. and i still think healing has a pala is boring like hell!

The question isn't what's better, HL or FoL, it's simply a matter of when you should use which and the answer is simple: use HL when big heals are needed to keep somebody up. If you don't and you stick with FoL even if somebody takes massive damage, that person will either die or you are lucky to have other healers in the raid who compensate for your incompetence.