Deleted

Advice needed: dropping alchemy

Ok, I know, this question has been asked a million times and I should probably make up my own mind but some advice would surely help a lot as I've been trying to decide it for weeks now but haven't made up my mind.

Anyway, the problem is, I have inscription and alchemy at the moment on my main. Inscription is very useful and the main source of gold for me at the moment but alchemy seems kind of pointless. It doesn't give any bonuses unless I'm flasked or poted which is rarely and only during raids. I cant make any money with it as theres no rare recepies any more and the prices are really down. Even the daily meta transmute is gone.

My question is, is it worth dropping it and if, then for what? Gathering proffessions are out of the question. I'm too lazy to farm anything so that leaves tailoring, engi, JC and enchanting and I cant really decide which. Money for levelling isn't a problem for me and it doesn't have to give income at all. What I'm looking for is best passive buffs (for a lock), fun and that it gives me something to do (such as getting new, useful! recepies or something to do when waiting for a raid to start for example).

Re: Advice needed: dropping alchemy

tailoring personally. the nice cape enchants are nice helps my priest out quite a bit. JC is nice also but alot of work. buth then enchanting is nice also with ring enchants. all 3 can work for you just depending on what you think is funner

Chronik

well if you want to make money I would go with JC. and you get those gem bonuses

MAGICAL FLYING CARPET

well as a lock my self i would go with tailoring. i personally have herb/alch and its fine for me. i tried leveling tailoring after maxing my alch in BC but i never had the will to farm mats or the gold to buy them. since that wont be an issue for you id go with tailoring. the cloak embroideries and if you are willing to farm a few eternals every few days... you cloth CD's.

oh hai there?

the profession that's worth more bonuses atm is JC hands down. The 3 prismatic gems allow you to gem for whatever stats are important to you, get set bonuses AND turn on metagems, plus you get uberbonus. Also you can make some cash since the one thing that's most changed around are gems.

Deleted

Thanks all

You make tailoring sound so nice that I'll probably go for it
    Money isn't a problem for me at all, for leveling it and it doesn't have to give any income. I just want it for fun and the bonuses.

if you can't make gold out of alchemy, then you're doing it wrong, stick with herbalism or some other gathering profession

How to make gold out of Alchemy:

Buy herbs

Make flasks

Sell flasks

Even selling at cost price, you make gold out of your procs. If you want to make real gold though, then do what anyone who actually makes gold does and buy your herbs wholesale from someone in bulk.

Having inscription though, you can buy herbs wholesale too and just pump out darkmoon cards, I don't know how much they go for on your server, but on mine it's one of the biggest moneymakers if you make them in bulk or with someone else aswell (Since it's the decks which sell well, and for those you need to trade cards with other ppl or just mass produce cards)

Also when raiding, 2h flasks means you spend half the amount you would have previously on flasks. So instead of spending the equivalent of 80g a night on flasks, you spend 40g. So even if you don't do anything to try and make gold, raiding 4 nights a week, for 4h a night, you're saving around 160g.

JC is kinda better, like just as easy or easier to make gold, and you get a trinket aswell as your passive +bonus from gems (Not sure how good the caster one is tho, I just know the tanking one is like best in slot pre 3.1)

But when you factor in the cost of levelling a new profession, it's not really worth it gold wise, particularly when you're primarily doing it so that you can have the same +spelldmg that you get from your profession at present, but have it work when you're not flasking aswell (Which generally means you don't really care about the fight anyway since it's pug / farm content probably anyway)

Deleted

My server is overpopulated so flasks sell for below mats price (if they sell at all). Theres hardly any profit. Other that that, yes, alchemy has ok bonuses if I only raided, however, I'm more of a do everything kind of girl. I only raid 2 days a week, sometimes less but I also do BG's, some arenas, heroics, cooking dailies etc. so alchemy is wasted there. I don't go to BG's flasked and I cant use them in arenas at all, so most of my playtime, alchemy doesn't give me any bonuses at all:P

That sayd, you're right about inscription, it gives me all the gold I'll ever need, so the second one should be for bonuses and fun. JC probably has the best bonuses but it doesn't give me anything to do. Gems are pretty much like flasks on my server, no profit there, there are too many people doing it. I can't do the dailies while in raid group and theres no drops from ulduar for JC (I think).

Like I sayd, I don't care how much it costs to level it as long as it's useful and fun. Inscription hits the nail with both, just the other one is hard to pick but thats why I made this post. Thanks for the advice all

Even with all the people complaining about the nerf to jewelcrafting, I still highly recommend it. It's fun (At least to me) and you can play with sockets and use your own gems, etc. There's a large variety when it comes to gem designs, so it's hard to collect them all. And there's a daily, will give you something to do for 5 minutes, which might bore you after the 30th time, but it's alright.

Unless you're on my server, in that case, pick anything else, I have enough competition.

Here is my question, unless you are into arena, who cares about bonuses except in raid? If you are an Arena player then yeah alchemy is not great. But if you are a PVEr then you don't need to min/max outside of raid. Do you need 2 ring enchants for dailies or quests? The Alch bonus while flasked is about equal to other profs, and you also get the 2 hrs. If you are a caster the Alch potions are nice also. Mana pot+random effect.

Oh i have made thousands of gold on flasks. You need to know when to put them up, but yeah prices dropped, but you also get 2 for 1 now. Frostwrym sold for 60/flask on my server before change. Now they sell for 35/flask, so I actually make about 10G more now per create and the proc is pure profit.
    "Peace is a lie"