Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: [fps] drops with a addon but whichone?

Quote Originally Posted by shinthar
    if u rlly have 150fps then activate the synch in ur wow-graphic-options.
    it will drop fps to ur monitor-frequenz. u wont see any disadvantage because ur monitor just can handle not more then this. more fps then ur monitor can handle may causes any trouble....
    CAN.. if it rly do so.. dunno.

u just get the fps-drop while hoover over a ingame 3dWorld-unit? or a unitframe? or anything which pops a tooltip?
    I'll translate what he just said, with a little bit more explanation.

Your monitor can only refresh so many times a second, which is why you should put V-Sync on, because it will lock your frames per second to the frequency of your monitor, i.e if your monitor is clocked at 60Hz, you will run at 60 frames a second, letting your graphics card work on more important things, like bloom processes or shadow quality. Running your game at 150 frames per second is eating up the resources, because the card is trying to draw everything 150 times a second, this includes the graphical quality of your game.

Also, a bit problem you might have is that the more addons you have activated, the more memory WoW takes up. If you have 2gb of RAM installed to your computer, and the recommended settings for the game are a gig, and you are running an added gig of addons, you are going to running at what is basically minimal settings. This math works out because you are asking WoW to run on as much RAM you are using, which isn't a good thing, and can cause a slow down in your frames per second. It's like running WoW with only 512mb of DDR2 Memory (RAM).

Here are just a couple tips to making the game work better:

-Turn on V-Sync and Triple Buffering. This will, like I said before, lock your FPS to your monitor's frequency. Triple Buffering is kinda optional, as it only, in some cases, makes the game run smoother when V-Sync is on. If your performance drops with TB on, then turn it off.

-If your game still is slower, go through your addons and figure out which are really needed and which aren't. Quest Helper tends to slow your game down for some unknown reason(s). This will free up some RAM so that the game will have more room to run around in.

That will hopefully solve your problem, if it doesn't, I don't have anything else I could tell you.

Well, there is a couple things outside of WoW that you can do:

If you don't have any performance boosts, I would google the program CCleaner. What this does is scans your computer for junk files and registry errors (invalid or old registry values). It won't delete anything necessary to your computers function, so you don't have to sweat blood when using it. It will ask you if you want to back up the scanned registry before it is deleted, I haven't had a need to, but do it just to help you sleep at night. All it will do is make a self extracting file with addresses imprinted on each of the registry values, so if something goes a-rye, you can fix it easily. CCleaner will remove files and values that your computer goes through unnecessarily, speeding up your computer just-a-bit ( but just-a-bit is quite welcome when dealing with performance of PCs).

Next, go and do a complete disk defragmentation. What this does is just basically organizes files on your computer. Your Hard Disk Drive is basically a giant library, and every time you download a file, visit a website or use a file on your computer, you "check out a book", and when you are done with it, it is just laying around. After a couple months, "checking out a book" will slow down the opening of files or programs, and even the use of it. It isn't much, but it can be an issue or nuisance when running resource hungry software, like video games (even though WoW isn't that big on resource gathering/use). This will tell a "librarian" to sort the "books" out so that finding things isn't such a problem (even with indexing and caching, the computer still has to find it, even though it is just a few seconds longer). This will improve application accessing and run-time for some, and greatly improve others.

Another thing is to scan your computer of harmful software, such as Mal-ware, Viruses, Spy-ware and other destructive software. This can eat up available system resources, such as your RAM, giving you less RAM to use for WoW, and it even requires the processor, as all programs do, so those viruses can be using large amounts of CPU that you are unaware of (that statement makes it seem like it takes up all your processor, it doesn't, but the CPU it does take up can be used for the WoW instead, or any application you use on a regular basis). Scan your Hard Disk Drive of all harmful software and either quarantine the pesky buggers, or just simply delete them from the computer (I recommend quarantining them because some just can't be deleted, and holding them all hostage just prevents them from running their code, so it is just like deleting them. The only problem with that, is that when you uninstall your anti-virus software, the quarantine goes with it as well, allowing all those viruses run amok on your computer). This should greatly improve over-all performance if you have loads of malicious software hiding on your computer.

The last thing that can be easily done, is by making sure that if you have a wireless router connected to your computer, you encrypt it. While it doesn't completely protect your computer (anyone who really wants in and knows how to crack WiFi encryption, can get in) it will prevent a next-door neighbor, or someone down the street from accessing your internet connection, leaving you more bandwidth. WoW doesn't require a lot of bandwidth to run, but if someone is downloading pr0n via bittorrent, you will have virtually no bandwidth left for you, slowing you down. It doesn't seem like this is the case, but if someone is using your internet, they could be accessing your computer, or doing things that require small amounts of massive loading, like playing a flash game or so. I can't tell you how to encrypt your wireless connection, but if you do have a wireless router, there should be a way, either through a program or your internet provider, to set an SSID tag, and a WEP or WPA/WPA2 onto the router/connection. This will require you to put in a username and password for you to connect to your wireless connection from a laptop or a PC with a WiFi adapter. I know of one provider that gives their client encryption capabilities, Verizon. They give you a wireless router when you pay for FIOS internet, that has a SSID tag and WEP key set up for you.

I hope I was of some help to you, good luck getting performance back.
    If you don't chew Big Red... That is fine.

15+ Year Old Account

usefull tips but not something I didn't know, use cleaning tools frequently, also did I already know what V-sync is as it sucks using when playing CS: Source!

anyways I'm gonna try SLDT addon as it is the light weight addon verson of fubar and drag able, gonna search for light weighted addons alllround to make a good UI.

so far so good no lag when hovering when closing down few addons

You can try this too:
    Code:
    /console maxfps XX

Set it to about 50-60, you don't need more tbh.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account

got it locked at 150 but will down to 101 just like css

Quote Originally Posted by InstaQ
    got it locked at 150 but will down to 101 just like css
    I find it kinda funny how you run at 150 fps but wonder why you get frame drops. I am also in a state of question to was why you want to draw everything on your screen 150 times a second, that's kinda ridiculous IMHO.

Also, if you are running that many addons at one time, you are bound to run into some performance issues. I would suggest going through all your addons and figuring out which you really need. If you need them all, then I suggest building addons that work with the ones that came with the game (through a patch). An example of what I am talking about is an addon that shows damage and changes the position and format of the health bars. Why not build an addon that only changes the format and position of the health bars, and just let the WoW UI that shows scrolling damage show all the damage that is done by various skills and melee attacks? It would certainly save you some extra memory and rid your self of useless data being passed through at one time, because there is already something similar built for WoW by the developers. Just an idea, I'm going to start doing it when I get my account unfrozen, if they are successful, I'll put them up on a site like curse gaming or w.e other ones allow addon uploads/downloads.
    If you don't chew Big Red... That is fine.

15+ Year Old Account

I've cut down the few addons here and there, and yes using so much addons cuts the fps for sure thats a fact, but just when hovering over is was down to 40 fps.

with all addons enabled and no hovering I was having fps between 140-150.

even tough it might be overkill it feels smoother, and duhh if you buy a pc u want to push it to the limit and see what it can do right.

so I'm pretty happy with what I got, and will get some addons sorted, it seems to work fine just for now when i encounter another bug ill post here.

Definitely quest helper. Also I've noticed that if I'm in a raid, over time recount eats up more and more memory.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scilla&n=Wenger

Lightweight version of Questhelper = Carbonite. Uses 6MB instead of 20. The map is a bit klunky to begin with, but you get used to it. Since the policy change the you can now get the full version for free, but it has lots of useless crap you dont need, so be sure to look through the config to turn off most crap.

Lightweight version of Recount = Skada. Uses 2-6MB, depending on gathered combat, cant really compare it to recount's memory usage as I cant remember last time I used it. Not as costumizable and detailed, but gets the job done.

its simple, use your god damn Fu-bar Performance addon and determine which addons you actully need, or which you dont, compared to their use of CPU memory and soo on

first step on your path is to Disable Questhelper unless your still leveling, if you are... well then you have to cope with the fact that Questhelper ALONE takes nearly double as much memory of ALL my other addons together and.. i use 50+ Diffrent addons for my UI
    True wisdom is to look beyond your own opinion.

15+ Year Old Account

I've using no fubar anymore since today I've taken a step for Addon kind!

I'm using SLDT now, which is text based simple white only thats all I needed
    allso removing older addons etc and got it running again.