Thread: mage vs warrior

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: mage vs warrior

Decent Warriors are my hardest fight as a Mage, well, other than a Ret Pally who's freedom i can't steal :P

Decent means they can spell reflect every cast of 1.5 secs or greater, know when to spin out of snares/novas and catch the Mage with his pants down if/when blink is on CD. Its practically impossible to keep them off you now, or snared.

And its only possible if i have full CD's and cold snap, which come back WAY longer than his charges and intercepts do. Then again most Mage CD's don't seem to line up with most melee classes these days, and only in full CD dueling do i really have a chance against competent Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius
    mage is easier to play than warrior mate, believe me

You have more margin for error than Mage imo. I'm not saying Warriors don't take more skill these days than they used to since they do, but Mage expectations are based on by the second reaction for more abilities or die, and having full CD's to beat most classes these days, which is rare in real time PvP.

Everyone talks about dueling to a fault with Mages, because it is extremely rare to be able to use all of those long CD's mages have to regularly be able to beat the classes most people assume they can. Iceblock in itself should be reduced to a minute CD at most considering its regularly dispelled now.

luck?

it's all about timing and skill, frost nova on cooldown, you see the mage receive the buff fingers of frost and you reflect because he will deepfreeze.

Warriors are most skill dependant class in game.
    Not to say that warriors aren't skill dependent but, generally I'm either going to use my stun in a shatter combo while they are poly'd or i'm going to use it when he's in my face off of a shattered barrier. If a stun gets reflected then you have NO chance AT ALL when trying to deal with shit like juggernaut (which is stupid OP but that's for another thread on another day). Warriors are no more difficult to play well than most other classes (not all, most). Before juggernaut the warrior had to out-play the person he was killing. Now, you have to out-play the warrior. Fits right in with blizzards motto for class changes "too much, too late", though i will admit, they are awfully quick to nurf burst dps when the community thinks its too high although its understandable with all of the top teams being double dps... oh, wait....

Blizzard has already come out and said that melee classes abilities to make up ground are too effective. You can argue with me but you can't really argue with GC...
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

Do you think I don't play a warrior? I've two, one Fury and one Arms. What's so hard?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rathok

Blizzard has already come out and said that melee classes abilities to make up ground are too effective. You can argue with me but you can't really argue with GC...

Just curious where did you read that? I was hoping blue would say something to that effect giving me at least a little bit of confidence in them :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthemage
    Backpedaling mage vs a teri bad warr and a not better blood elf mage, that was so cool >_>
    I only backpedaled at the start before attacking for fun, I didn't ever do that throughout the fight...
    And the warrior had over 650 resi (you can calc that by the damage my frost bolts do with 2k spelldmg)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayswandir
    Do you think I don't play a warrior? I've two, one Fury and one Arms. What's so hard?!
    what have you achived with your warrior in pvp? have you mastered it?

Rogue community: the thing that makes us OP is a combination of 130 energy and overkill, not mutilate damage.

Ghostretard: Nah, we'll cut the balls off mutilate, lawl

Rogue community:...................

Ghostretard: We're happy where rogues are in PvP

Ghostretard: Wait, NM we'll also nerf overkill now and give you absolutely no fucking compensation while deathtards and retnubs still do gross amounts of damage with better defensive capabilities.

I consider myself a good mage and I've been one since vanilla back in the day when you had to counterspell warriors to get them in combat to avoid the charge. I still cannot beat a good warrior post 3.1 (granted, he is a very good warrior: Terrorz -Gorefiend US if anyone cares to armory for the person i was dueling). I don't blink charge, i icelance spell reflects, i know how to kite... Warriors can put a lot of pressure on you and force cooldowns like iceblock/blink and if both of those are ever on cooldown at any point in the fights they can bladestorm and its gg. The first set of charge+intercept isn't what kills you. It's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pairs of charges and intercepts mixed with spell reflects where you run out of tricks before they do. How do you not kill someone trying to kite you when you can charge twice every 15 seconds and spell reflect in between?
    This. I don't know where all this "good mages still beat warriors all the time" hoolabaloo is coming from. Probobly the same people who claim we can beat ret's by spellstealing BoF.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaavis

Just curious where did you read that? I was hoping blue would say something to that effect giving me at least a little bit of confidence in them :-\
    It was on the front page a little while ago............

.....here!

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/28/1722...imbalance.html

Key quote: "We think it has more to do with ranged classes not always able to bring their CC or survival tools to bear against melee. "
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

We think melee are countering casters too effectively in 2s and 3s. I'll leave it at that.
    Now this is what I've been waiting to hear from a blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyros
    Now this is what I've been waiting to hear from a blue.

While it is true (and though the game isn't balanced around 1v1, if there no way for a mage to beat a rogue/warrior/ret/DK in a duel than there obviously no way you can handle them in any sort of small arena environment), the problem is going to be to get them to do something about it... yeah, they are quick on nurfing burst dps from rogues/mages but that is about the only thing they have had a timely response on. "DK/Pallies/hunters are OP? Lets just wait another 3-4 months, we'll fix it then."

I really don't understand why blizzard has such a keen eye for making sure that burst damage isn't too strong when 2xdps teams are never (and have never been) the ones topping the charts in terms of team ratings...
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

wow is your view really that skewed? in burning crusade, a warrior that im trying to keep snared and cc'd had to have skills to take me or my rogue partner down before his healer was dead, now they just spam running into you over and over, then bladestorm. there all twins that do the same exaxt identicle rotation of cheesey charges over and over. And this is just saying that warriors now take less skill than they did before, atleast from my point of view (and experience playing against high rated warriors in BC and then now) let alone claiming the warrior take more skill than a mage, thats LAUGHABLE! Keep slamming into the mage over and over till he is out of CD's, or press your bladestorm button when you know blink is on CD, or press your reflect macro during a sheep cast...that is all simple compared to the amount of awareness, fake casts, kiting, timing, and overall work that the mage has to put in, just to get you in a sheep, let alone beat your team.

no warior can "run into you over and over" if you can find your frost nova and your sheep button at any time during the fight. as long as the ice barrier nova is on a differrent DR as rhe actual and pet nova, good mages will always obliterate any warrior. if you don't, you are not a good mage.
    This user has been banned.

i think mage beat warrior, warrior beat rogue, rogue beat mage
    and about reflecting, my mage in pvp gear have only 14k mana, if warrior reflects too much, i just go oom
    and about skill
    to keep distance from enemy, CC him, and do damage in same time > than CHAAAARGE ROFL CRIT MORTAL + SWAORD SPEC FOR 10K

you're an idiot
    Banned for trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by chrion

wow is your view really that skewed? in burning crusade, a warrior that im trying to keep snared and cc'd had to have skills to take me or my rogue partner down before his healer was dead, now they just spam running into you over and over, then bladestorm. there all twins that do the same exaxt identicle rotation of cheesey charges over and over. And this is just saying that warriors now take less skill than they did before, atleast from my point of view (and experience playing against high rated warriors in BC and then now) let alone claiming the warrior take more skill than a mage, thats LAUGHABLE! Keep slamming into the mage over and over till he is out of CD's, or press your bladestorm button when you know blink is on CD, or press your reflect macro during a sheep cast...that is all simple compared to the amount of awareness, fake casts, kiting, timing, and overall work that the mage has to put in, just to get you in a sheep, let alone beat your team.
    Yee because playing mage is sooo hard.Believe me I have played both classes and I can tell you than in WotLK playing a frost mage takes almost no skill.Especially against warriors.You just sheep him,summon your pet,start casting frostbolt and just as it starts to fly,you use your pet's nova and cast a quick ice lance.It doesn't take skill when you have atleast 4 ways of freezing the warrior in one place.Even if warrior charges,he hits you and freezes himself without even breaking your shield.If he somehow breaks it you can reapply it if it isn't on cd.

On the other side you must be a really good and skilled warrior if you want to beat a frost mage 1 vs 1.You get frozen all the time,you barely break his shield due to him kiting you like a monkey.And if you somehow get near him and he has no cd you hit him and you get frozen.You use Bladestorm to get free and get some nice damage,but he just uses Iceblock.You break his block with Shattering throw just to get frozen again.Also the two main problems for a warrior against frost mage is that the reflected ice lance does no damage,because mage isn't frozen and the other is that you get frozen too often.Too much RnG.Also I think the Shatter barrier talent that makes you cast frost nove when your shield is broken doesn't share DR with the other methods of freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbreacable
    Yee because playing mage is sooo hard.Believe me I have played both classes and I can tell you than in WotLK playing a frost mage takes almost no skill.Especially against warriors.You just sheep him,summon your pet,start casting frostbolt and just as it starts to fly,you use your pet's nova and cast a quick ice lance.It doesn't take skill when you have atleast 4 ways of freezing the warrior in one place.Even if warrior charges,he hits you and freezes himself without even breaking your shield.If he somehow breaks it you can reapply it if it isn't on cd.

On the other side you must be a really good and skilled warrior if you want to beat a frost mage 1 vs 1.You get frozen all the time,you barely break his shield due to him kiting you like a monkey.And if you somehow get near him and he has no cd you hit him and you get frozen.You use Bladestorm to get free and get some nice damage,but he just uses Iceblock.You break his block with Shattering throw just to get frozen again.Also the two main problems for a warrior against frost mage is that the reflected ice lance does no damage,because mage isn't frozen and the other is that you get frozen too often.Too much RnG.Also I think the Shatter barrier talent that makes you cast frost nove when your shield is broken doesn't share DR with the other methods of freezing.
    don't talk about class if you saw only 1 spec

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor
    don't talk about class if you saw only 1 spec
    mage + pvp = frost mage

same as warrior + pvp = arms

Quote Originally Posted by lizard
    mage + pvp = frost mage

same as warrior + pvp = arms
    wow
    i love pvp in fire, and it more funny then stupidicelancespam
    i don't talk about stupid arenas which i hate
    and topic is "mage vs warrior" not "frost vs arms"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor
    wow
    i love pvp in fire, and it more funny then stupidicelancespam
    i don't talk about stupid arenas which i hate
    and topic is "mage vs warrior" not "frost vs arms"
    ...and the forum the topic is in is the arena forum.