Resto PVP how to survive the burst

Edit to add - please don't armory me and tell me how bad I suck. I know I suck at arena which is why I am posting asking for tips. k thx.

So I am just learning how to do arenas and enjoying it but my biggest problem is the initial burst (mostly from dual dps). I am looking for some tips on how to survive.

Gearwise I have 800+ resilience and can go over 900 if I change out a trinket but then I lose 111 SP.

To give you an idea of how I am handling it right now. I usually start the match with water shield on me and earth shield on my DK partner (he was frost but just went to unholy for more damage).

If I see that it is dual dps or if there are any stealth I put earth shield on myself and prepare for the ensuing attack that is sure to come. Generally I have grounding, cleansing, stoneskin, and flametongue totems down. I try and save stoneclaw since they can just wait out the shield if i use it early.

So, the fight starts, both dps jump on me and blow every cooldown they have to try and burst me down within seconds.

The fights I am able to trinket, NS + HW and actually get away are the ones we generally win. The ones where I am silenced or restunned and bursted down again we lose. It seems if I can live for 30 seconds our rate of winning (versus 2 dps or dps+healer teams) goes up tremendously but I am finding that versus any team with an MS, me living for longer than 30s is next to impossible.

So any tips?

should I start the match away from my partner so he can DG someone off me? we use to start off together when he was frost because he could aoe iceblock them to reset the fight. I am thinking being apart would allow him to DG and CoI one of the dps off of me.

What do you think about the season 7 shaman set?
    It looks like what would happen if one of those big rock giants from Outlands mated with Spiderman.

-monkeysnarf

Re: Resto PVP how to survive the burst

DG one away and Stun the other with the ghoul should be a good way to start and control them. Throw in a CoI on the one he DGed and you got yourself a chance to get away.

But yeah. PvP as a resto is hard against dual dps as they can easily lock you down and kill you at the same time.
    If you spot the mage (assuming its mage/rogue) or if you can see its a dual dps team put ES on yourself asap. The DK can survive by himself for a little while but if they target you with watershield up your chances are slim.

I used to play a warr/resto combo (me being the warrior) and I had to do alot just to keep him alive. Charge, intercept, fear, etc. But if I got one of him his chances of survival drastically increased.

Try to get your partner to control one while you tank the other.

(and getting the battlemaster trinket is a great way to survive the initial burst beacuse when they have blown their cds the battle is decided. If you survived it then gz to your win)
    Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell

There isn't much you can do, except have your DK prevent one from attacking you.

If you know it's a rogue on the other team, both of you need to get in combat asap, or it's going to be over quick (atleast with a warrior).

If one of the dps is a ranged, you should be los'ing, and get your dk to pull the melee off you.

Is your DK laying down the aoe slow effect, so you can kite around pillars/corners? Is he effectively pulling the attackers off you? Is he silencing when needed? If he isn't that may be your problem.

I honestly would give anything for my warrior partner to reroll a dk

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenmirror
    There isn't much you can do, except have your DK prevent one from attacking you.

If you know it's a rogue on the other team, both of you need to get in combat asap, or it's going to be over quick (atleast with a warrior).

If one of the dps is a ranged, you should be los'ing, and get your dk to pull the melee off you.

Is your DK laying down the aoe slow effect, so you can kite around pillars/corners? Is he effectively pulling the attackers off you? Is he silencing when needed? If he isn't that may be your problem.

I honestly would give anything for my warrior partner to reroll a dk
    The biggest problem I think is that we are both learning right now. Neither of us are avid PVPers and we spend most of our game time in raids.

I think ghoul stunning one and DG another sounds like a great plan and I think that will work better with us separated so the DGd person is not still right on top of me.

Here are my trinket choices

Currently have
    Forethought Talisman - great when the extra hot procs and the 111 SP is nice
    Platinum discs - extra resilience and on use SP - I got this but right now just don't think is is worth it
    Medallion of the horde - 84 res and cc removal

two trinkets I am thinking about getting
    Battlemasters trinket - 111 SP and HP boost
    Titan-forged Rune of Audacity - 111 SP and cc removal

with those two I would lose the hot proc and 84 resilience but gain 111 SP and the HP boost.

What are the recommend trinkets assuming you will be the one focused down?
    It looks like what would happen if one of those big rock giants from Outlands mated with Spiderman.

-monkeysnarf

Did you mean that warrior is vulnerable to sap or that warriors are taken down fast if partner is sapped? ??? Had the impression it's the first one but then thought that the second one has to be your point.

I miss the old warrior bloodrage which puts warrior into combat for the bloodrage duration :-\

Glyph of Stoneclaw - Use it and love it
    Battlemaster's
    DG the one locking you down + Ghoul stun the other

Quote Originally Posted by Vio
    Did you mean that warrior is vulnerable to sap or that warriors are taken down fast if partner is sapped? ??? Had the impression it's the first one but then thought that the second one has to be your point.

I miss the old warrior bloodrage which puts warrior into combat for the bloodrage duration :-\
    I miss that one too :/

And yes. If the shaman gets saped and the warrior is focused you just won't survive that. Well at least not if it's a rogue/mage team. After sap it's blind, sheep, sheep, sheep. Even with trinket that's just too much to survive for the average warrior (even with defensive cds).
    Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell

i always ES myself, my partner does a well enough job at keeping himself up ES is best for me (helps prevent casting pushbacks)

if its stealthers we stack on one another, lay DnD constantly and i put stoneclaw out (for glyph bufF) then quickly put out an earthbind to negate the stealth, best thing to do is to use your trinket to get out of the stun at a good time (recognize your debuffs and when they can stun you and they can't). have a macro to pop natureswift + tidal forcee + healing wave for after you trinket.

if its casters, always have grounding totem down, try to be prepared if its org arena you can plan it so the totem is down and the CD is up as soon as the actual game starts. just outrange them, and pillar hop

hope this helps, im not amazing at pvp but this is what i used and me and my DK partner did fairly well for the first time being in arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Vio

I meant the healer :P Can't trinket sap or you will be sitting there for awhile from blind and/or polymorph.

And yes. If the shaman gets saped and the warrior is focused you just won't survive that. Well at least not if it's a rogue/mage team. After sap it's blind, sheep, sheep, sheep. Even with trinket that's just too much to survive for the average warrior (even with defensive cds).
    A warrior can intervene to you and absorb the blind btw.

Shamster, he's resto. Resto shaman can't get rogues out of stealth without the talented earthbind from the ele tree... And you don't always put grounding down.. You put it down so they waste an attack and can't react to it.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

Shamster, he's resto. Resto shaman can't get rogues out of stealth without the talented earthbind from the ele tree... And you don't always put grounding down.. You put it down so they waste an attack and can't react to it.
    Resto shaman can get rogues out of stealth with stoneclaw totem but it's true that normal earthbind totem won't help in there.

Ok, so yesterday we had better luck. My DK started paying more attention to keeping at least one dps off me and I can generally out heal one dps on me with the exception of warriors. With a warrior I can't get separation and I can't stand and out heal his damage. I still play the "stay mounted and run like hell" method until they either catch me or give up and turn to my partner. If they go on my partner, most of the time we win.

We went from 1350ish to 1411 then stopped until today so we can buy the furious bracers and Deadly legs after reset. Seems like things are starting to slow down and it is becoming less about spamming buttons and more about making smart decisions. Now I just need to figure out what those are.

-monkeysnarf

once you gt to higher ratings you'll also need to learn how to play offensively as well. Personally im the same as you i have like 827 resill 20k health and like 1900 spell power only difference i play with a great ret pally. You need to learn how to shock heals and shit to force pressure that'll usually give your dk time to go balls out on one of the dps (in in dual dps team) which should make them play defensively if you can force a mage rogue team to ice block / cloak the game is yours. for rogue comps i usually get Bo sac or i run up and shock the other team member.

mods that will make your arena experience 10 times better

gladdius nature enemy cast bar.

use them

love them'

get free 550 spell power weapons.

also enjoy priest rogue.