Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Primal Gore as a Tank?

people on wowhead are saying otherwise about overwriting the buff.

Not only is the proc rate extremely high, but there is also no ICD and it can refresh itself. In about 15 minutes of testing I got the buff on every opening Mangle, and it always refreshed on subsequent Mangles - the buff does not have to drop off to get reapplied.

Basically this is a +153 AGI idol for any bear tank who uses Mangle at least once every 12 seconds... i.e. all bear tanks!

A massive upgrade from our level 70 idol. /mourn the passing of Idol of Terror
    he does say, however, that it was pretty much always up so my argument is void and null.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    people on wowhead are saying otherwise about overwriting the buff.

he does say, however, that it was pretty much always up so my argument is void and null.
    The new idol overwrites. The old one doesn't. So you could think about the 85% proc rate on the old one, and think about how many times mangle would be "wasted" (buff already up)...

Since the buff lasts 10 seconds, a 4.5 second mangle would have 2 "wasted" attacks (at 4.5 sec and 9 sec) while the buff is up, and then another mangle 3.5 seconds after the buff expires. The 6 second mangle would have one wasted attack and then 2 seconds before the following mangle. If you get a non-proc (15% chance), the second chance to proc for both would be 8 seconds after the buff had expired.

I dont know if slightly less uptime of 65 agility is enough justification for changing a spec, especially if the concern is threat (as it seems to be the tradeoff). Plus, the old idol will be replaced someday... whenever it drops!

Quote Originally Posted by Dethaele
    Just wondering a few things about the talent Primal Gore and its relevance for tanking. In my experience I haven't seen many tanks use it, but I was wonder what some of the numbers and reasoning was behind taking or not taking it. I skimmed through the guide that is stickied at the top of the forum but I didn't see anything about it. Here are a few of the questions I had about it:

1. What is the approximate TPS increase for taking this talent over not taking it?

2. Does a critical tick from the Lacerate DoT proc Savage Defense? (Tried on PTR and I don't remember it activating SD.)

3. Would it be a "wise" choice to remove points from Infected Wounds in order to point a point into this and 2 somewhere else? (Assuming threat could be improved a significant amount and there being another debuff in raid to perform the same task as Infected Wounds.)

My current spec is at http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ade&n=Dethaele if anyone has any suggestions for me or if people want to see where I'm coming from.
    1. around 5%
    2. Yes, so it's really cool (it increase shield uptime by about 5-6%)
    3. NO. Infected wounds it's mandatory.

I'll go for the following spec:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...0&version=9704

Intesity is basically useless.
    1 point in Primal gore > 3 points into improved mangle.
    improving demo roar (warriors will not take it) will decrease melee damage done by the boss by another 5% (10% base) so it's pretty usefull (expecially in ulduar)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcrowler
    1. around 5%
    2. Yes, so it's really cool (it increase shield uptime by about 5-6%)
    3. NO. Infected wounds it's mandatory.

I'll go for the following spec:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...0&version=9704

Intesity is basically useless.
    1 point in Primal gore > 3 points into improved mangle.
    improving demo roar (warriors will not take it) will decrease melee damage done by the boss by another 5% (10% base) so it's pretty usefull (expecially in ulduar)
    I'm quite sure that only 2 points are needed in Feral Aggression if that, because it completely nulls bosses AP iirc? or at least in naxx.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura
    I'm quite sure that only 2 points are needed in Feral Aggression if that, because it completely nulls bosses AP iirc? or at least in naxx.
    I believe this was true in BC, but has been disproven now (see here, for example). Every point of feral aggression contributes to damage reduction (and AP reduction).