15+ Year Old Account

Arena Ranking Question

Hello everyone

Both my partner and I are new to arenas. I was wondering how the points you win at the end of the match are determined. I had thought that it was based on the level of team you were playing measured against your own teams rating. Last night however that seemed to not be the case.

When we first started this week we were getting up to 47 points for our wins which makes sense as we start with a very low rating. As we climbed to the 1000 range, we noticed our wins going down to around 6-13 which also makes sense as we were facing teams with a closer ranking. Last night we were up to 1175, but then hit a really bad streak that dropped us to 1111 (3am arenas probably weren't the best idea). This is where I noticed the issue.

We were facing higher ranked teams that were still receiving 20-47 points for beating us. When our rating was 1163, we lost to a team that had a ranking of 1225. We lost 13 points. They gained 47. Is there another factor that determines the win/loss amount of points? Is it based on the number of matches we play? If so, then perhaps we should only do the required 10 matches to maximize points?

Any info towards this would be greatly appreciated. I'm enjoying arenas a lot and just signed up for a 5v5 team too. I'm just hoping to understand the scoring a bit better so I know what to expect this week.

Thank you in advance

Re: Arena Ranking Question

there are three types of rating:
    - your matchmaking rating, which is supposed to be a measure for how good you are
    - your personal rating, which is there just to prevent team hopping
    - your actual team rating which determines the amount of arena points you get every week

your team rating and personal rating always converge to your matchmaking rating, meaning that if your team rating is considerably lower than your matchmaking rating, you will always get more points when you win a match against an equally strong team than you would lose when you lose a match. on the other hand, if after a losing streak or for any other reasons your matchmaking rating drops and becomes lower than your current team and personal rating, you will lose more points than you win.
    This user has been banned.

The points you gain/lose from a match are based on your team rating compared to your opponents "match making rating" (which is the rating you see on the score board at the end of the game).

The point system tries to quickly adjust your team rating to equal your match making rating.

So just like when you were first starting out and gaining tons of points every game, when you play against an opponent that gains tons of points from beating you, it means their team rating is way below their match making rating.

15+ Year Old Account

Thank you very much. That makes more sense now.