Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

spellsteal priority list

against other class's mages spellsteal should have a priority list, for example a pally, it should take freedom, then wings. Against a priest it should take pain supression 1st. Random RNG dictating matches is something they say they want to get away from, well spamming spellsteal 8 or 9 times against a ret pally while he is chasing you down doesnt work for the kiting mage. Sometimes it takes freedom on the first spellsteal and then I slow him and sheep him and get back to killing his healer. against a priest/rogue, my rogue will 9 times out of ten get the jump on there rogue because of our well executed opener, and I can spam spellsteal on the rogue the moment he gets pain supression and it may not even take it before its fully ran out of time, making me completely waste 4 or 5 global cooldowns worth of time, and time is of the essence for cc and the rogues bursting eachother. Just 2 examples, theres more examples, but the point is you cant be skillful and use timing with something that has such a sloppy mechanic.

Re: spellsteal priority list

my crits should take priority. the first 33% of my attacks should always crit.

rng is rng bro, its not going away

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

my crits should take priority. the first 33% of my attacks should always crit.
    my sudden death should take priority. the first 9% of my attacks should proc it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neggers
    My purge should take off 2 buffs everytime no matter what talents they have.

Seriously YOUR A FUKIN MAGE, go cry elsewhere, where even less people give a shit
    Im not crying, Im discussing game mechanics. If a ret pops freedom and comes at me I need to (depending on the distance and situation) steal freedom, slow him, and sheep, how does a mage skillfully do this? by spellstealing, his freedom button worked, so shouldnt my spellsteal button work? the best mage in the world could try to steal only to do it 9 times in a row and have the ret eat his face, while some average joe mage could press it once and take it. Random is bad, skillful timing and use of global cooldowns to do the right thing in the right situation at the right time is good.

also the mechanics of purge work fine for your class, you can freely spam purge at the opener till the dps gets on you, then you heal and when the fight resets, or the dps gets peeled off of you by there partner you can spam it more, also you can completly strip players of all there buffs fast....spellsteal is something you use between attacking and cc, global cooldowns that are spent not doing damage or cc are bad, unless they are as effective otherwise.

15+ Year Old Account

You aren't meant to be able to kill any class that buffs itself by taking it's buff. Sometimes you will be lucky, sometimes you won't. Spellsteal is meant to have the risk of ooming yourself to get that one buff you want. It's all chance, just like the chance that an Arms Warriors gets 5 crits in a row on your healer and such.

those aren't very good comparisons, you may be comparing range to range but your talking about crits and procs not the targeting of a spell, it would be nice if it was more stable by at least taking the last buff applied rather then 4 random junk buffs in a row but o well.

It's still usable if your buddy cleans the junk buffs off first then you take the one debuff, it's kind of a gimmicky niche spell, it would be pretty crazy if it always stole the only buff that lets pallies counter our abilities and get kited first no exception, and even if they made some kind of priority list ppl would just complain about the ordering of it, at least they added a few cool things to steal in pve.

I'd take a short cooldown on the spell if i had to for a priority list but I doubt it will happen, to easy to use and crippling to some classes. Still crossing my fingers on the last buff applied thing thought but i'm not going to hold my breath on it, if it happens it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by chrion
    Sometimes it takes freedom on the first spellsteal and then I slow him and sheep him and get back to killing his healer.
    So tell me if im wrong. You are asking for that just in 100% cases?. Now try to imagina what will feel the person on the other end of that stick.
    Spell steal is not the only spell you have. If you will steal freedom everytime ret will end cleansing himself from slowing effect every GCD 20xxx times in a row and you will run around happy like a puppy . No sir not going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Karaghan
    So tell me if im wrong. You are asking for that just in 100% cases?. Now try to imagina what will feel the person on the other end of that stick.
    Spell steal is not the only spell you have. If you will steal freedom everytime ret will end cleansing himself from slowing effect every GCD 20xxx times in a row and you will run around happy like a puppy . No sir not going to happen
    My partner is a rogue BTW, we have been facing alot of ret+healer, We have to reset the fight usually either on bubble, or sacrifice (usually sacrifice, but depends on the situation) So with the amount of time and the reset it takes to bring the healer down we need the pally to be CC'd for a certain amount of time, and since we have no healer, we need to not die before the healer dies. By the time i spellsteal 3 times the ret can have me or the rogue's health bar crippled. so the ret usually has a guaranteed time to burst a few times during a match and we just cant have that.
    Also to the mage that suggested it steal the last buff that was activated, then that would be freedom almost every time, same issue, same with pain suppression.

sure the ret wouldnt get as much "free" 123 dmg in as easily, but it would balance out the match, right now it seems to easy for the ret to smash the rogue or mage off the healer to much for even a good mage rogue team that resets the fight well, and uses blind at the right time. just way to much dmg from the ret pouring in way to fast and easily for them.

sure the ret wouldnt get as much "free" 123 dmg in as easily, but it would balance out the match, right now it seems to easy for the ret to smash the rogue or mage off the healer to much for even a good mage rogue team that resets the fight well, and uses blind at the right time.
    nope, it wouldn't balance anything. ret would simply be buffed with something else to compensate

not to mention this is simply an l2p issue...

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    nope, it wouldn't balance anything

imagine your spell now works 100% of the time. ours fails 100% of the time. see a problem here?

15+ Year Old Account

Personally I am going to agree with the OP.

Not with the pretty shoddy example he has given but in the fact he has stated that Blizz have said they want to get away from RNG but its a still a major factor in terms of buffs and dispelling.

They should sort some kind of prioritising mechanic for all dispelling, be it offensive or defensive. Say v a Priest and you want to knock off a shield or Inner Fire, you simply should not have to go through 2/3 GCD's to do this, and most of the time its ready to be applied again. When certain spells are there for a reason (Mass Dispell, Spealsteal my 2 biggest cringes) there should still be a pattern of sort for how they work.

A big part of Arena (the skill of playing it correctly) is controlling and pre empting and with RNG mechanics like this still in game it simply is not possible to have this 100% which always means lower skilled will always still have a fair chance or simply someone who 'got lucky'. For anyone whos played say a FPS game competitively you would know luck should not be a factor to take into consideration. You either had it or you didn't. With WoW thats not there. (High rated arena at least.)

Quote Originally Posted by Keh
    Personally I am going to agree with the OP.

Not with the pretty shoddy example he has given but in the fact he has stated that Blizz have said they want to get away from RNG but its a still a major factor in terms of buffs and dispelling.

They should sort some kind of prioritising mechanic for all dispelling, be it offensive or defensive. Say v a Priest and you want to knock off a shield or Inner Fire, you simply should not have to go through 2/3 GCD's to do this, and most of the time its ready to be applied again. When certain spells are there for a reason (Mass Dispell, Spealsteal my 2 biggest cringes) there should still be a pattern of sort for how they work.

A big part of Arena (the skill of playing it correctly) is controlling and pre empting and with RNG mechanics like this still in game it simply is not possible to have this 100% which always means lower skilled will always still have a fair chance or simply someone who 'got lucky'. For anyone whos played say a FPS game competitively you would know luck should not be a factor to take into consideration. You either had it or you didn't. With WoW thats not there. (High rated arena at least.)
    you cant even remove inner fire...

there are certain mechanics every mele class has to close distance vs casters not making them sitting ducks.
    Rogue -COS and sprint (+ depending on build like shs), or even vanish and reopen
    Warrior-charge, intercept, intervene
    Ret pala- pursue of justice and freedom

Now when you take it away against heaviest kitting class like frost mage leaving them standing there and waiting for inevitable defeat (naxx woot? ), thats not going to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Neggers
    My purge should take off 2 buffs everytime no matter what talents they have.

Seriously YOUR A FUKIN MAGE, go cry elsewhere, where even less people give a shit
    from someone called himself "neggers" ;-)

spellsteal as it is at the moment, is nearly worthless in most situations. so why dont talk about this.
    guy, get a brain

spellsteal should recieve some kind of less prior and more priority buffs
    grp buffs f exp should go down in list, single selfbuffs up
    rest should be random as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Kløud
    a mage stole my wings today :-[ , made me jealous, i got the forbearance, and he got the wings :'(
    Nerf spellssteal to the ground baby. Meh buffzzzz... you cant have them thats not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Karaghan
    Nerf spellssteal to the ground baby. Meh buffzzzz... you cant have them thats not fair.
    Hot fix:
    Mage
    Spellsteal:
    Now only steals costume buffs.

Wait, that would be kind of cool actually. :P Not very useful but cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Damaar
    Hot fix:
    Mage
    Spellsteal:
    Now only steals costume buffs.

Wait, that would be kind of cool actually. :P Not very useful but cool.
    "Due to many complains about that spel we had to redesignt way that spell works"
    Your loving Ghostcrapler

Mage
    Spellsteal:
    Now only steals bunny ears.

Deleted

against other class's mages spellsteal should have a priority list, for example a pally, it should take freedom, then wings. Against a priest it should take pain supression 1st.
    against a priest/rogue, my rogue will 9 times out of ten get the jump on there rogue because of our well executed opener, and I can spam spellsteal on the rogue the moment he gets pain supression and it may not even take it before its fully ran out of time, making me completely waste 4 or 5 global cooldowns worth of time, and time is of the essence for cc and the rogues bursting eachother. Just 2 examples, theres more examples, but the point is you cant be skillful and use timing with something that has such a sloppy mechanic.
    You do realise that Pain Supression also adds 65% resistance to dispel mechanics? Spellsteal is a dispel mechanic afaik. Do you also spellsteal rogues with CoS?
    Stop doing stupid things first and see where that gets you.