Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glyph of Renew vs Glyph of Flash Heal

Hey,
    As the topic says which one is better?
    Glyph of Flash Heal is great but Glyph of Renew is great too,-3secs and +25% for each tick is really nice
    Any opinions?

Re: Glyph of Renew vs Glyph of Flash Heal

For discipline, Flash Heal is a no-brainer win over renew as FH is a staple spell where renew is situational at best.

For holy... I'd guess probably flash again, if you use that glyph at all (Assuming this is for raiding, glyphs of CoH, PoH, and GS would all be more tempting for me - but then again, I haven't raided as holy since BC).

For disc pvp, more powerful renew for self-survivability through stunlock is really appealing, but falls short of the value provided by glyphs of FH, PS, and IF glyphs in my book.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

15+ Year Old Account

For Holy you should have both.

For Disc, FH.

For PvP? Neither.

Glyph of Flash Heal is mandatory for PvE. (Excepting Shadow speccs ;D)

while the renew glyph does give more for each tick it actually lowers the total ammount healed by the renew, it's more depending on what you use the spell for... if you use it to stabilize tank damage then it having a longer duration might be more useful whereas if you're using it for healing up regular raid damage having the ticks be a little stronger might be more useful (after the first few ticks the damage will probably be healed up from other heals). TBH as holy i use flash quite a bit (albeit with surge of light procs sometimes) but it makes it alot cheaper to stack up serendipity. CoH/Flash/PoH glyphs ftw.

No.

Glyph of Flash Heal is mandatory for PvE.
    No.

while the renew glyph does give more for each tick it actually lowers the total ammount healed by the renew...
    No, it heals for the exact same amount, but in shorter time.

Now, why would you take any of those as holy? Glyph of CoH, Glyph of PoH and Glyph of Guardian Spirit are all far better (in almost any situation, except when only spamhealing the tank probably, but how often do you do that in Ulduar as a priest anyway).
    As disc, you've got Glyph of Penance + two out of (Glyph of Flash Heal, Glyph of Power Word: Shield and Glyph of Prayer of Healing), whatever you prefer.

Edit: Also, do not reply if you don't know what you're talking about. Do not read/listen to the 3(?) posts above mine, so much bad/incorrect information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima

For Disc, FH.

For PvP? Neither.
    I disagree with you since Disc priest tree have Improved Flash Heal (Reduces the mana cost of your Flash Heal by 15%, and increases the critical effect chance of your Flash Heal by 10% on friendly targets at or below 50% health.) if you combinate it with Glyph of Flash Heal ( Reduces the mana cost of you Flash Heal by 10%)

It will be in total -25%

so Flash Heal is defently good as DISC

Glyph of Renew is not really nessercary.

For Disc tree go for these major Glpyhs: Glyph of Penance, Glyph of PW: Shield and Glyph of Flash Heal.
    Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    I disagree with you since Disc priest tree have Improved Flash Heal (Reduces the mana cost of your Flash Heal by 15%, and increases the critical effect chance of your Flash Heal by 10% on friendly targets at or below 50% health.) if you combinate it with Glyph of Flash Heal ( Reduces the mana cost of you Flash Heal by 10%)

It will be in total -25%

so Flash Heal is defently good as DISC
    So he said that as disc you should get the Flash Heal Glyph, and you said that you disagree with that because it would reduce the mana cost of Flash Heal by 25% total which leads to Flash Heal being a decent spell as disc.

You wouldn't take the glyph because it would make Flash Heal good?

Quote Originally Posted by Zcrub
    So he said that as disc you should get the Flash Heal Glyph, and you said that you disagree with that because it would reduce the mana cost of Flash Heal by 25% total which leads to Flash Heal being a decent spell as disc.

You wouldn't take the glyph because it would make Flash Heal good?
    He said it's bad in PvP wich I think it's not at all since I spam a lot of Flash Heal
    Banned.

He said it's bad in PvP wich I think it's not at all since I spam a lot of Flash Heal
    He never said it's bad, he said he wouldn't take either of them, which I agree with.

He never said it's bad, he said he wouldn't take either of them, which I agree with.
    Why would you not take Flash Heal Glyph, what would you take in place of that?

Banned.

Why would you not take Flash Heal Glyph, what would you take in place of that?
    I would take

1. [Glyph of Pain Suppression] Allows Pain Suppression to be cast while stunned.
    2. [Glyph of Penance] Reduces the cooldown of Penance by 2 sec.
    3. Probably [Glyph of Power Word: Shield] Your Power Word: Shield also heals the target for 20% of the damage absorbed.
    or possibly [Glyph of Smite], but the last one depends on whether it's 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5 you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    Yeah, so enjoy your 3 minute Guardian Spirit then?

Or your 5 target CoH?

FH Glyph.

Also, do not reply if you don't know what you're talking about. Do not read/listen to the 3(?) posts above mine, so much bad/incorrect information.

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t47907-3_1_ptr/p7/

"no, he's right. The math doesn't work out. The glyph is supposed to increase each tick by 25%, and reduce total ticks by 1. But the total healing goes down -- something's wrong with their implementation. You don't get (healing from a 5-tick renew) over (4 ticks). You get slightly less."

it's a small ammount but the renew glyph makes it heal for less, albeit larger ticks.

I admit I didn't read the elitist jerks thread, but I would probably attribute the slightly lower healing to the fact that the HoT is now shorter so the game is giving it a lower SP coefficient. Same thing that happened to mages when they took imp frostbolt/fireball back in the day, but was eventually changed.

I wouldn't have considered that previously...but from what you guys are saying that sounds like the culprit of the lower healing. Has that been looked into?

It heals a litte bit less for the mana costs, but in a shorter time, so you recast it earlier and it heals much more

for holy is renew glyph any good? keeping in mind the instant heal renew gets.
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    for holy is renew glyph any good? keeping in mind the instant heal renew gets.
    Renew Glyph does not affect the instant heal of Renew.

But either way, there are 3+ other better glyphs out there for holy so no.

Now, why would you take any of those as holy? Glyph of CoH, Glyph of PoH and Glyph of Guardian Spirit are all far better (in almost any situation, except when only spamhealing the tank probably, but how often do you do that in Ulduar as a priest anyway).
    First: Spam healing the tank is something that is only done when you are walking the edge of what you can possible heal - and there GHeal becomes interesting due to the higher HPS anyway.
    Second: Spot healing the raid is where this glyph really shines. Enough fights do not grant friendly enough damage to counter it by using AoE heals...
    Third: Guardian Spirit goes unto the tank in most raids I know... And that is arguably exactly what you are saying Glyph of Flash Heal is there for...
    As disc, you've got Glyph of Penance + two out of (Glyph of Flash Heal, Glyph of Power Word: Shield and Glyph of Prayer of Healing), whatever you prefer.
    And if you have to ask whether the Renew Glyph is good, chances are you will need the extra mana as a disc, so thank you for supporting my argument.
    Edit: Also, do not reply if you don't know what you're talking about. Do not read/listen to the 3(?) posts above mine, so much bad/incorrect information.
    I will not deign to say anything about this but that except for the first one, each answer has a valid point (with which you might agree or not, but both lower statements are widely enough supported such that it becomes rather improbably that they are simply wrong)

15+ Year Old Account

PVE: Always flashheal. It doesn't really matter if your renew ticks for 1200 or 1400 every 3 seconds especially when the latter means you would have to cast it more often - so less manareg.
    PVP: Both are nice but I would prefer renew because its instant but I probably wouldn't chose either.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!