Question on dpsing as ret

Obviously i dps with the FCFS rotation, but i hear people talk about don't just hit whats off cooldown it matter how much longer you have on abilities such as judgment or cs.

Now cutting to the chase, at one point do i wait for a cooldown such as cs or judgement to come off cooldown rather then using ds or concencration. one sec left? 1.5 sec?

Re: Question on dpsing as ret

Depends on the ability, I personally give ~1 sec on Judgement to help my mana as I don't PvE much so it can get a bit messy
    And similar on CS

ok so bascially if my cs or judgement has 1 sec left and all i have up is ds or con i should wait

I'm sure this topic will probably get some maths thrown at it, but thats my personal view, yes

depeding on my mana pool i'll wait for a judgement if the difference is less than a second.

If i have anything more than a second left I'll hit whatever is up.

Problem is your reaction times and efficiency at hitting correct keybindings comes into play. Latency, etc. but a cooldown timer is a big trouble saver too. As long as it's above ~2seconds it's very safe to hit something else.

i generally don't worry about mana, and i am pretty god with watching the timers and hitting the right key binds

Well, after the last patch the priority changed a TON.

Before, Judgement was our biggest hitter, AND it returned our mana, so Judgement was ALWAYS the priority for a single target DPS rotation.

But now, they seriously nerfed Judgement, but compensated with buffing the actual Seal damage. SO, abilities that can proc Seals I.E. CS and DS, got alot more powerful, and therefore important.

However, Judgement is still our mana, so in low mana situations, stick with Judgement as the priority, but if you are fine on mana, CS and DS are the priority. (Against themselves, single vs. AoE respectively) NOTE: The 3% crit and our actuall Judgement on the target lasts as long as 2 Judgement CDs so refreshing it right away isn't nessisary, so no need to ever take that into consideration.

Also, note that each hit of DS procs seal damage, so two mobs is FOUR hits, 3 is six, etc.

Also, Exorcism is now our biggest single damage hit (Not counting CS+Seal, or HoW), but due to its long CD it shows up pretty low % of your total damage, but because of it's big hit and long CD it's good to make sure you get in as many as you can.

EDIT: My DPS set is still using a 200 ilvl 2hander.. and I don't think Exorcism scales with Weapon Damage, so maybe at higher gear levels it's not a bigger hit than CS.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arygos&cn=Sephkka

I'm holy main, but i think the priority got changed to

CS > Hammer of Wrath (If in range) > Exorcism (IF UNDEAD) > Judgement > Exorcism > DS > Cons

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    I'm holy main, but i think the priority got changed to

CS > Hammer of Wrath (If in range) > Exorcism (IF UNDEAD) > Judgement > Exorcism > DS > Cons

i know the rotation/priorty of spells that isn't what i was asking...

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Huntdanoobs

i know the rotation/priorty of spells that isn't what i was asking...
    Ummm, that is EXACTLY what you were asking....

Asking if you should wait on an ability to be off cooldown and using it before something else is asking for the prioritization of such abilities. That is exactly what you asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampmoose
    Ummm, that is EXACTLY what you were asking....

Asking if you should wait on an ability to be off cooldown and using it before something else is asking for the prioritization of such abilities. That is exactly what you asked for.

i asked at waht point should i wait on something rather than click a differnetn spell such as ds beign off cooldown and cs has 1.5 sec left. should i wait for cs to be done or use ds or only wait if cs has 1 sec left, 2 sec left etc

so no he didn't answer my question now did he?

i asked at waht point should i wait on something rather than click a differnetn spell such as ds beign off cooldown and cs has 1.5 sec left. should i wait for cs to be done or use ds or only wait if cs has 1 sec left, 2 sec left etc

Read above, it wasn't directed to you.

But 1.5s, No, don't wait, thats more than a GCD (After haste)

Personally, I don't wait at all, say I waited twice for spells, thats an entire GCD wasted. If you have something up, hit it, then see whats next on your priority when the GCD comes up.

Your question has been answered multiple times in this thread. Please go Ebay some reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson
    Your question has been answered multiple times in this thread. Please go Ebay some reading comprehension.
    Ever hear of getting multiple opinions? and can you read? each peopel who have answered have different opinions. one thinks 1 sec another thinks it is best not to wait and another only will do it with judgment for mana

Let me ask you this. If you had a lethal sickness and you went to a doctor and he said you will have to jsut sit and pray, will you listen to him or go to another doctor for a second option? I bet you wwould get a second option. same thing here, i'm jsut trying to get more of peoples opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinestorm
    FCFS dude
    ^ This

First come first serve.

Not "You came first, but i'm gonna wait for this guy to let in first because hes cooler than you"

All the retri spells are so close in damage per cast time that none of them is worth it if you have to effectively add 0.5 seconds to the gcd (the time you spent waiting).

15+ Year Old Account

You asked if you should wait and at what amount of time should you wait. 1 second, 1.5 second. Assuming you went with a full FCFS rotation, you would not wait at all. Not 1 second, not 3 seconds, not half a second. You would hit the first key available.

If you assume there is a first come first serve rotation, then there is no such thing as an amount of time you should wait for other abilities. If you wait, then you are no longer using FCFS and are using a prioritized rotation.

So assuming FCFS the answer is zero seconds and in the event that multiple spells come off at a certain time, then you would follow the priority list.