Priests in general <= from a noob.

Hello everyone.

I've been starting to level my priest again ( he's lvl +60+ ) which i'm planing on making healer (already have a mage, and even though it's a differently style of dps and etc I want to change atmosphere) and was asking myself a couple of questions:

1.a. How are priests doing in PvE, PvP ?
    1.b. What specs are viable/not recommended for PvE and PvP ?

2. What is the main difference between Holy and Discipline healing ?

3. What stats should I be looking at ? I know healers in general need a big mana pool with some nice mana regen to go with. So I presume a combination of Int/Spirit should do the job ?
    Spell Power is probably most important also, but should I gear with haste, crit, agility ?

4. What professions to go ?
    I had him Alchemist/Tailoring 250ish, then dropped Tailoring to go Jewelcrafting (100ish) and i'm quite happy I didn't level him up too high seeing as they are nerfing JC and i'm not sure if it's viable.

5. Good addons ? I've asked the priests in my guild and they all have their own thing, I suppose i'll eventually find some ones that suite me, but until then what should I go with ? Grid, healbot, default UI Oo ?

Thanks in advance, i'll maybe edit some questions in if I find any.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Priests in general <= from a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by HellBurn
    1.a. How are priests doing in PvE, PvP ?
    1.b. What specs are viable/not recommended for PvE and PvP ?
    PVE: Holy topping the healing charts, shadow is a very viable dpser who can also top charts (fights permitting), discipline a viable tank healer. All 3 bring much support to a raid.
    PVP: Disc is awesome. Holy still only useful in BGs, as is shadow. Shadow-rogue is ok but really depends on the rogue A LOT.

2. What is the main difference between Holy and Discipline healing ?
    Holy is more about group heals and big flashy heals, disc is more about preventing damage with shields and giving huge single target heals in between.

3. What stats should I be looking at ? I know healers in general need a big mana pool with some nice mana regen to go with. So I presume a combination of Int/Spirit should do the job ?
    Spell Power is probably most important also, but should I gear with haste, crit, agility ?
    Seeing as you're level 60 that should be the least of your worries right now. Stats come naturally with gear. And holy/disc/shadow all want different flavors of gear.

4. What professions to go ?
    I had him Alchemist/Tailoring 250ish, then dropped Tailoring to go Jewelcrafting (100ish) and i'm quite happy I didn't level him up too high seeing as they are nerfing JC and i'm not sure if it's viable.
    With the JC nerf incoming I'd go Tailoring again.

5. Good addons ? I've asked the priests in my guild and they all have their own thing, I suppose i'll eventually find some ones that suite me, but until then what should I go with ? Grid, healbot, default UI Oo ?
    There are already lots of good (Priest) addon threads here on these forums.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Hi,

I think Aether has summarized nicely, I'll add 1 or 2 things:

A couple of useful add-ons are:

Healing: Healbot or Grid (and poss Clique)

I personally use healbot but know others who use Grid. These make healing a lot easier, but some die-hards will say it takes the challenge away... Healbot has less configuration, but I find it has all that I need, like you say it's a personal choice thing, so try both and see what you prefer.

I use Outfitter add-on to switch between shadow and heal gear sets with 1 click, quite useful, not sure how the blizz interface has changed very recently to accommodate this feature itself...

For shadow, you may find an add-on to monitor your DoTs, quite useful, some links are available on the following links..

Shadow priest 101 post: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=53036.0 , it's very good. Also www.shadowpriest.com is definately one of the better class sites.

Happy Priesting

Thx a lot Aether you've helped a lot.

Though I'm still wondering about some stuff such as :

Seeing as you're level 60 that should be the least of your worries right now. Stats come naturally with gear. And holy/disc/shadow all want different flavors of gear.
    I wasn't really talking about my priests at it's current level, but once I start raiding how can I tell the difference between dps gear and healer gear?
    Do I want to add crit to my gear ? Or is haste better?

With the JC nerf incoming I'd go Tailoring again.
    /cry

edit: Thx Cathexis

The difference between dps and heal gear is +hit and (arguably) spirit (especially on rings, etc)
    The Crit/Haste balance depends a lot upon your personal preferences and whether you go disc or holy.
    Spirit is currently a bit underpowered, especially compared to int, consider using RatingBuster to simply see what eache peace would give you in a direct comparision.

JC is still viable, just not OP. I personally dislike tailoring, but that is more of a personal choice than actual "tailoring is bad"...

Addons: Click healing is currently the way to go for most people. Either use Clique + a raid addon of your choice (pitbull, grid, xperl, whatever) or healbot which if I remember correctly has click healing built in.

Quote Originally Posted by HellBurn
    how can I tell the difference between dps gear and healer gear?
    Do I want to add crit to my gear ? Or is haste better?
    As mentioned, DPS gear has hit rating. If not, it has crit and haste. Disc shares some item pieces with shadow, while holy wants other bits. It's a huge debate really, but once you get to 80 - spellpower and int will be your primary concern. Then you'll worry about mp5 / spirit / crit / haste.