Team Rating relating to "Better than X% of teams"

In the "Arena Matchmaking System FAQ" thread that was posted on the WoW PvP Disussion forum, the Blue named Aratil posts that, "Being 1300 means you are better than 25% of all teams." Also that, "To be 1650, your team needs to be better than 68% of all teams."

I've been looking around for the source of those numbers. I looked at the Elo System entry on Wikipedia and found a chart that says if a team is rated +200 from base (base being 1500) then they are in the 75th percentile (meaning better than 75%). Also that if a team is -200 from base, then they are in the 25th percentile.

This would seem to be in line with what Alatil says of a 1300 team being better than 25% of all teams, but doesn't quite hold true for a 1650 team being better than 68% of all. A 1650 team would be better than 70%. Close, but not exact, and I want to know why.

So basically what I'm asking is if there is a more specific source for these numbers, or if there is an actual formula that exists to find the percentile based on the rating above or below base.

--------------

Also, somewhat unrelated, but the maximum rating in arena is still 3000, correct? Someone was saying it was raised to 3750. And arena points are still calculated the old way, before teams started at 0 rating, correct? I haven't played in a while.

Re: Team Rating relating to "Better than X% of teams"

I'm not sure "base" rating is 1500. But I'm no expert.

To answer your question about arena points, as long as you are <1500 you get as many points per week as a 1500 team, and that's all I know.

Yeah I don't know much it seems :-\
    *French guy inside*
    *please forgive my poor english*

http://www.arenajunkies.com/calculator/ is my guess as to where they got it from.

Quote Originally Posted by qae
    I'm not sure "base" rating is 1500. But I'm no expert.
    I already know for a fact that 1500 is the base in an Elo system, and also in WoW. Basically, if a team in WoW Arena is rated 1500 after many matches, then they are better than 50% of the teams in that bracket in that battlegroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlover
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/calculator/ is my guess as to where they got it from.
    The AJ calculator is a work in progress in itself and is only good for ballpark figures. Its seems too far removed from the math that Aratil is using.

ou could just look up your rank in www.wowarmory.com and see what rank you are? then find out how many arena teams are in your battlegroup and do some math, and voila there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by furium
    ou could just look up your rank in www.wowarmory.com and see what rank you are? then find out how many arena teams are in your battlegroup and do some math, and voila there you go.
    Armory only shows top 5000 teams, I wouldn't know how to find total teams beyond that point. Even then, I'm trying to find how Aratil finds his numbers, not trying to actually get the % better than. But if you know a way to find total # of teams in a BG, please feel free to share.

Another thing that I think would be important is rating inflation.

For example; According to the Elo chart, 2000 rating (+500) should put a team in the 96th percentile.

I know for a fact that at the end of the 27-week Season 3, 96.5th percentile was around 1950 (actual 96th percentile would therefore be lower than 1950, even farther away from Elo prediction). I also know for a fact that at the end of the painfully short 17-week Season 4, 99.5th percentile was 2060.

Obviously, the prediction of a 2000 rated team being better than 96% would only be true for a small portion of the arena season, as point inflation meant that not only would existing team ratings get higher, but that more and more teams would enter the "2000+ zone."

I have no idea how he figures it out, but like someone posted above http://www.arenajunkies.com/calculator/ is probally the best estimate you'll get.