Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

New Druid Models as Boss Loot

I've noticed that one of the complaints that have been leveled despite the change coming to druid forms is that there is still no way to show how far the character has progressed in content based on their model. According to the wow site, the way these new models will be changed is via the barber shop, so any druid may choose to skin their forms any way they want. Obviously, this does not solve the issue of the model being linked in some way to the character's progression in content. Some people have suggested showing the druid's armor over top of the animal in some way, but personally I think there is a better way - simply give 1 boss per every 2 dungeons or so a drop of a tome which the druid can use to learn a new model skin/color.

So, for instance, lets say that Yogg Saron drops the "Tome of the White Shapeshifter" (spare me criticism on the item name, please), druids may roll on the tome, and then whoever wins gains the ability to change their druid form's color via the barber shop to the new white skin. This change need not mean that the colored forms we have seen thus far will not be accessible to new druids, instead, more models can be made in later patches and added to the new dungeons. The white model in this case now becomes a visual designation of the druid's progression in content, and would have the same "cool" factor attached to it as that dungeon's gear.

One other possible way to do this would be to attach these model changers to one piece of gear in each dungeon. Simply make it so that when a certain stave is equipped to the druid and the druid switches forms, the druid will appear in a certain skin. This change would best be implemented by adding the feature to maybe 8 (4 heroic, 4 normal) pieces of loot from the dungeon, 1 each to the highest caliber drop for each type of druid (feral cat, feral bear, boomkin, tree).

What do people think of this idea?

Re: New Druid Models as Boss Loot

That's actually...

Intelligent.

I like the first idea, though I would suggest a Pet tab kind of system, toggled to your Shapeshift buttons, instead of the tacky old Barbershop. Would enable shift-forms to be changed on the fly, instead of in a major city.

I think it would be really cool... And I would actually roll a druid if something like this were to be implemented >.>
    right wel i can insurance u i dnt hav down syndrome so u can stop sayin stupid stuff lyk that
    --Hennrehh

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik
    Crying is easier than trying.
    Just remember, folks. If you use Armory to look up my character, just to make your e-peen larger, it just makes my points more valid.

The best idea would be that the skin changes as your average item lvl changes. There would be set markers based on the Item lvl of the instances. The only down side o this would be that you couldn't change the look unless you changed the gear and some people might not like the high lvl skins.

This are cosmetic changes nothing else, you don't have to get some loot to be able to change hair cut so why should it be needed for this.

Why do you need the form skin to be connected to content progress, don't a simple inspection of the character show that.

Quote Originally Posted by burntchomsky
    I've noticed that one of the complaints that have been leveled despite the change coming to druid forms is that there is still no way to show how far the character has progressed in content based on their model. According to the wow site, the way these new models will be changed is via the barber shop, so any druid may choose to skin their forms any way they want. Obviously, this does not solve the issue of the model being linked in some way to the character's progression in content. Some people have suggested showing the druid's armor over top of the animal in some way, but personally I think there is a better way - simply give 1 boss per every 2 dungeons or so a drop of a tome which the druid can use to learn a new model skin/color.
    This is not what Blizzard has in mind. They took out the glyph for Bear-Worgs on purpose. I don't see this as being a good way to handle the situation. Especially when the next complaint will be: "But I can't kill Yogg-Saron to get my new-totally-f*!@ing-awesome-skin." or "The drop rate sucks." Thus Blizzard will sadly implement them into badge rewards and recycling the idea of everyone looking the same.

One other possible way to do this would be to attach these model changers to one piece of gear in each dungeon. Simply make it so that when a certain stave is equipped to the druid and the druid switches forms, the druid will appear in a certain skin. This change would best be implemented by adding the feature to maybe 8 (4 heroic, 4 normal) pieces of loot from the dungeon, 1 each to the highest caliber drop for each type of druid (feral cat, feral bear, boomkin, tree).
    ^^This is more close to what I think they have in mind. However, I have no guesses on how it will be put together. I don't think they are going to do armor -> skin. I think they will put jewelry and maybe the generic slots up. Something I can see being put directly on the form is the engineering goggles. I can see them adding armor plate for tier gear. Whatever they do, I hope this doesn't get top priority. This whole debacle of "I like this" "I don't like that" over a simple 'Bear' and 'Cat' model is driving me off the wall with how many actual fixes they have in line for our class. Then again, I was fine with the original Cenarion and Stormrage set looks ... (damn I just dated myself).

This would be fine for you or I, but what about those who don't raid? Don't they deserve new skins too?

I'd like I best if you could just ask your druid trainer to change it for you, because I don't want to change my hair color! But I do think it should be available to everyone. If they want to add some extra gear-influenced customization too, they can do that later (preferably after they do new skins/models for moonkin and tree.)
    ïт'ѕ иσт εαѕỵ вεïиġ ġяεεи.

Quote Originally Posted by attackfrog
    This would be fine for you or I, but what about those who don't raid? Don't they deserve new skins too?
    Irony

This idea is actually not bad at all, and I prefer it over the "average iLvl" one. I would argue, though, that the item dropped is like a quest item, lootable by all druids present. And having said that, I realize this would not be very fair towards the other classes that managed to kill the boss. So, Blizzard could introduce the idea of trophies: items that drop from a boss when you kill it and can be worn visibly on your character. For druids, it would be a new version of their forms, for warriors something mounted on their broad shoulders, for warlocks some foul aura swirling around their heads... you name it.

I'd hate to see still a lot of players with the old skin compared to the new ones.
    and why should every new content have to be earned anyway. True.. a lot is handed out too freely these days, but updated graphics are pretty damn important imho.
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

If they'd do this it'd just be another e-peen. I know what you would do if you'd get that shapeshift everyone wants : just stroll around in your capital city with it.

15+ Year Old Account

Blizzard owes the Druid class alot since they been looking the same since release. The only form that didn't look utterly stupid to me was the Alliance cat form. Blizzard owes it to the Druids to make this awesome.

I say make it a barber shop thing, but also implement the idea of the OP. Also make something that maybe Druid get like every 20 lvl's or so that their form's change in appearance.
    I know its not hard to do. We've seen other people change the appearance of druid form through little program you can add to the game. So I know its not hard to do, it wil just take a little time and money, something blizzard has plenty of.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

I can't believe this line of discussion is still going on...

After years of staring at the same character avatar, the developers begin work on updating the character models AND giving different options for the player to choose from as they see fit.

But people have such raging hardons for the ever elusive "Unique Look" that they have to post about this? I mean, how many people sit in front of their Dalaran bank in a feral form, or would if this change went through as some people seem to clamor for? Eye candy for yourself that would only display when you are out in the field doing stuff with people who don't give a shit how you look seems like a very narrow audience to try to appeal to.

There's the old saying "Eat your cake, and have it too". Shut up and eat your Goddamn cake. And say a quiet prayer of 'thanks'.

MOVE ON..you guys are just talking about how updated graphics should be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by select20
    Blizzard owes the Druid class alot since they been looking the same since release. The only form that didn't look utterly stupid to me was the Alliance cat form. Blizzard owes it to the Druids to make this awesome.
    Actually, they owe us nothing. You pay for what your playing ...

I know its not hard to do. We've seen other people change the appearance of druid form through little program you can add to the game. So I know its not hard to do, it wil just take a little time and money, something blizzard has plenty of.
    Really? You really just said that? Aside from the obvious naivety that the task is "simple" to provide not only something that is quintessential to the druid icon, but satisfy it's customer base, you just tried to honestly act like you had any idea how much time/money it takes and how much time/money they honestly have. Please, provide me the financials your looking at to conclude their Labor Resources and draw an Opportunity Cost for me.

lets say u get imba gear..t8.5 etc etc..and you rly look awsome! as nightelf female or even male ..they all look great in gear..and u go boomkin or bearform to tank! i personaly don't always look at how i attack or cast..but i like sometimes to watch ..and i see the old bearform ..but no wpn/gear/etc.Making some armor to show on bear is a good idea(golden compas bear for example) but why not to mix new skin from boss drops with gearshow ? so we can be unique in some way.
    Lightwell! It's gewd!

15+ Year Old Account

It does say in the official forum thread that they will come up with a way to link items to the looks later on (probs after tree/moonkin is changed also)

1 more thing...when i first saw wow-druid..it was an immage with a bear in standing behind a nightelf..i rly thought that's the animation-change the animation 2! it would rly be nice if we get to see the change..not just POW! and u're a bear
    Lightwell! It's gewd!

15+ Year Old Account

This idea seems silly.

Blizzard already announced how Druids will change the look of the new bear forms.

Why argue why it's dumb and why it's "cool"?

How good gear you actually have feels kind of irrelevant. On the other hand, I would like something to distinguish a high level druid from a level 10 druid in bear form. They look exactly the same at this point.

Something like more scars, ragged fur or even sharper claws the higher level you reach would be sufficient imo.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

I think a cool way of giving players a choice on their skins would be making it similar to titles. You have certain quests or requirements you have to unlock (not all of them to do with raiding, maybe one awesome skin only attainable by killing yogg.) This way you are able to change your forms looks without having to change the way your tauren/nightelf look. Plus it adds the whole forms change with experience deal.

In the same way that people run around with cool titles (even if they werent hard to get: ___ Jenkins, or ____, Champion of the Frozen Wastes) people will be able to show off their models that are hard to get or ones they just think makes them sexy bears.