Lightwell Macro assistance/Lightwell discussion

Hello Everyone!
    I'm having a little trouble writing a macro that announces when my Lightwell has been completed completely cast. (Not just when I click the keybind and cancel the cast)
    Something along the lines of :
    /cast Lightwell(Rank 6)
    / ?
    /s Casted Lightwell(Rank 6)

I'd be very grateful if anyone of all you "Lightwellers", or just anyone could help me.

And also if you'd like, please share your thoughts about Lightwell as a spell, the utility it brings, and why/why not you've included it in your build.

Thanks.
    Nwx/Reyiari Jaedenar EU

Re: Lightwell Macro assistance/Lightwell discussion

You can't put conditional logic in a macro to only say something only if the spell is successfully cast.

I'm almost positive that what you're asking to do is not possible.

Isn't it possible to put something that takes the GCD into consideration? It won't work as a "succesfull cast alert", however it might announce that I AM casting it, not only clicking it the check it's range/accidentally touching the key etc?

For high AoE Lolwell can be useful if you run with dps that doesn't only thing to pewpew but cares a bit more about their own survivability.

But for the macro I don't know how to make it so the /s doesn't show when you doesn't finish the cast, but a .4 second cast shouldn't really be canceled.

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

As for the macro, the best you would likely be able to do is put a 1 second timer in there to raid warning. I'm not at the game right now, so I can't remember the exact coding, but it is similar to all the wait X seconds then say this (can only use chat commands, no casting).

As for lolwell itself, it's still the only spell I have ranks of left on the trainer. I think it is still poorly designed, and while better than it used to be, it simply isn't worth the effort in most cases. Not to mention most players still seem to have the perception that the lolwell doesn't do anything worth noting, so unless they change it, I doubt it will come into any form of real prominence

10+ Year Old Account

I like Lightwell and hahve found several uses for it. The only thing I would change is the size (make it a lot bigger and shinier, so I really stands out) and the range you can click on it.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Best idea to make people use Lolwell.

Make it so it gives cookie to people that click it with lower than 50% hp!!

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

A shammy in a PuG naxx group i was in several weeks ago hid behind a lightwell on sapphiron when he did his aoe thing. Needless to say, it didn't help the shammy out much.

Anyways - i think it should be possible rather than to just wait command it, as i believe that a warlock addon has the "Summoning %t Successfull!" after they've summoned that person (although, now it's the summon stone things) but it still comes up with that random stuff :P Although unfortunately, i have no idea what it uses nor what addon it is... if anything it's probably necrosis if that addon was still continued.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

/cast Lightwell
    /aftercast /say Lightwell is up. Go use it. For the kittens. Please.

The /aftercast keyword sets up a non-action command (ie, /say and /yell are okay, but /cast, /use or /dismount is not) trigger on the next cast finished. It does not work well with channeled spells or Guardian Spirit for some reason. But I think it should work with Lightwell.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    /cast Lightwell
    /aftercast /say Lightwell is up. Go use it. For the kittens. Please.

The /aftercast keyword sets up a non-action command (ie, /say and /yell are okay, but /cast, /use or /dismount is not) trigger on the next cast finished. It does not work well with channeled spells or Guardian Spirit for some reason. But I think it should work with Lightwell.
    You need the Aftercast addon for this to work though

Random aside: Make lightwell baseline and give holy a good 31pointer IMHO.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Just downloaded that Aftercast addOn, installed it and made the macro that Danner suggested. Works perfectly, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks alot Danner and AetherMcLoud! And thanks everyone for sharing your insights about our dodgy and quite unknown spell, Lightwell.
    Actually got a few /w asking what the **ll that shiny thing on the ground was this afternoon.

My view on Lightwell is as follows:
    It's extremely situational, and totally unique. It's the only spell in this game, that I know of, that gives the potential healing target(s) a little "responsibility" about keeping themselves alive. This might highten the self awareness of your fellow players, which in turn might turn them into better and more aware/independant players in the long run. Ideally.
    This might be both good and bad, as sometimes with some players it might never get used, and in fights involving a lots of movement/AoE dmg, it's pure awsomeness. The videos of Mimiron, and that fight as a whole seems like a perfect opportunity for said spell. Some TBC fights might also be good, perhaps having a squared Lightwell usage around Archimonde might've helped my guild get him down faster. A'lar in TK is another example. Saved my life a few times when I raided as Arms in TBC. Ran around with low HP, everyone dying all over the place. Taking a Lightwell charge, and just managing to get that damned bird down. Loved it, and couldn't stop myself thinking what an awsome spell it really was
    And it's clearly a "cool" spell, that really fits the more "angelic" type of priests.

That's about everything I've got to say 'bout that.
    TL;DR : Lightwell is a very interessting spell, allowing the healing target(s) to take the role of a more self-aware player.

Nwx/Reyiari Jaedenar EU

Edit : Please continue to post your thoughts about Lightwell, if you consider it useful/necessary or just totally worthless.

15+ Year Old Account

My view on lightwell: Good intention, very bad design. It's basically a very clunky version of a warlocks soulwell, only that you can't "store" the heal from it in your inventory, so you have to manually run over to it in the middle of a bossfight. That is the biggest problem I have with it. It may be really awesome on General Vezax, but I generally want to use my active talents in every bossfight, not just 1 out of 14.

I'd much rather have something like

Lightwell may have awesome healing per mana, it may have probably the best hot ingame, it may save DPSers, but still: If a rogue has to run from stabbing the boss to the lightwell, target it, click it, change target to boss and stab him again - that's some DPS loss right there. And that is the problem especially with DPS (who would be the primary target for the well usually).

You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Lightwell is probably the best healing spell in the game. Sick HPS, even more sick HPM, you can use it while doing other things, and on paper it's reason enough to reroll holy.

In practice, it still sucks. Yes, it's about four times better than in TBC. Yes, it's about 128 times better than in vanilla. But it's not really useful save for a very small amount of gimmick fights. General vezax is one of them. The only other talentspell that sees less practical use in wow right now is Spirit of Redemption, but at least that one has the decency to give you 5% extra spirit.

Ideally, we want a talent which is a bit crappy on paper, but great in practice. Body and Soul is such a talent. When talents go the other way around, you end up with useless spells. Lightwell is to the point where it could just as well heal 100% HP over 6 seconds and still suck. It's just not worth sacrificing DPS in order to heal yourself, when the dedicated healers will do so before you die anyway. My lightwell is seeing more action as a raid marker on Yogg-saron (I could use a flare, but the lightwell is shinier) than it does healing. And that is a problem.

What we really want is a WC3 "moonwell" healing placable. It doesn't have to be as imba as it is now, I think the one AetherMcLoud suggests is pretty decent. I'd pick and use that one. Another option is to give the lightwell a petbar, enabling the casting priest to remotely place lightwell charges on the raid as needed. That might cause troubles with the shadowfiend, but I could live with that.

Ultimately, I don't think it'll happen. Someone in blizzard - who isn't playing a priest - is way too enarmoured with the idea to let it die.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

The problem I have with the well is my fellow raiders refuse to use it. Even if I put it right smack dab at their feet in a fight like kologarn where they are stacked and never move it seems to be too much of a hassle for them to switch targets for half a second and heal themselves. *sigh* Maybe if it increased their haste/crit as well as heal them they would take advantage of it. But for now I will just have to get used to hearing "it is the healers job to heal me, not mine." Silly naive guildies, you are lucky I love you so much -_-

>But for now I will just have to get used to hearing "it is the healers job to heal me, not mine"

This is.. all too entirely true though and I completely understand. I mean, I'm rarely asked to dps anything - I occasionally get a 'If y'all healers could like.. see your way to slappin' a SW:P on the boss, that'd be fabulous' - when we're going for a 4 minute kill, or a particularly close encounter.

You *really* don't want your dps doing anything except DPS, and lolwell is most often useful right when DPS needs to be doing their thing.

I *would* take a talent that didn't require the dps to click (like that suggested in the tooltip above). But I cannot justify the talent as it stands. 5 DPS'ers missing a second of their rotation (worse, might be more than 5... players 6 'n 7 might just stop and be wtf, shiny-thing disappeared!) is a bad thing(tm).

It *is* my job to keep them alive. It's their job to keel the nasty thing. They have enough to concentrate on what with green blobs, and blue falling icicles and bosses assploding purple smoke over them, let alone worrying about where the sparkly well is..

Ermi.

Maybe the lolwell need's an emote. Make it go "LOL you died when you could have clicked on me" when someone dies in range. I have only seen the thing pulled out once in a raid and it was a Pug and one time in a 70 heroic. If/when I spec holy i am pretty sure I am skipping this talent point.

Thanks for the replies all of you, interessting to read. I'd have to agree with AetherMcLoud that Lightwell is rather poorly utilized, and the fact that is isn't exactly one of the more useful spells. I won't however go that far as Ermintrude, and declare it absolutley worthless.

I'm not saying that it's even remotley useful on stand-still fights, that only present the damage in small healthy chunks on set intervals.
    However for the other fights, the fights that I find the most "fun", were you're needed to move away from the raid, you're perhaps out of range of the healers etc. To think for yourself, do something different.

That "It's not my job keeping myself alive" is what absolutley bugs me. I mean in TBC, you were always expected to have healing pots/healthstones as a dps. They were a sort of last way resort, but they were there. Of course someone might heal you incase you're low on hp, but what if you're not?
    This might only happen in speed-clears/hardmodes, and relies on good communication (VisualHeal might help), but isn't that the case with min/maxing?

As stated, a heal is only as good when it acctually heals. But the ammount of people neglecting this spell is horrific. It's got it's uses, such as everything else.
    Said by JD in Scrubs somewhere, "someone needs to do a puplic service announcement about that". Wake up all you damage dealers, and for one second think what you're neglecting.
    In my case, it's around a 11k hp HoT over 6 sec when I aint buffed. It might save the day, it might not. Good god, that's how shamans should think when they're using chain heal instead of lesser heal/healing wave on the MT.

Don't be a complete douchebag, help your healers. Here's a spell that's going to heal me, if I just click it. Can't be that hard to do while avoiding a boss AoE right?

In an optimal setup, everyone, all 25people should use a raidframe that displays incoming heals(VisualHeal) . If it's critical and you won't get any in the critical interval, use the Lightwell.

And btw Danner, is there a way to turn of the error messages that I keep getting in my chatlog? It displays a message, like :
    AfterCast: Unexpected event UNIT_SPELLCAST_INTERUPTED in NormalCast, everytime a spellcast is cancelled. Gets my chatlog quite blurry after a while.

Thanks for your insights, and keep posting if you disagree/agree

I think that lightwell is a very situational tool. If the fight requires a lot of in and out, in and out, GET OFF THE DEATH RUNE DUMBASS, it can come in handy. There is no reason that if the lightwell is in the middle of the room you are at 50% hp and you run by it not to click it. People just need to realize that it is not utterly useless any more.

It all just comes down to are your raid members smart enough to use it.
    Blood
    Resto

The usefulness of lightwell is directly proportional to the creativity of the priest using it.

Times when Lightwell rocks:

(1) Placed on tank during Maxxena to be used during webspray (Lightwell can be clicked when stunned).
    (2) Placed on yourself or add tank during KT to be used when tombed.
    (3) Placed on the side area that melee runs to when gravity bombed during XT.
    (4) Placed in the water that the ferry tanks run to during ignis.
    (5) Placed at the end of the designated path for eyebeam runners during Kolo.
    (6) Placed on a OT during iron council.
    (7) Placed in the arena during Thorim (especially if your going down the hallway).

A few examples. Mostly when I use Lightwell, its when it can be somewhere I cannot... or when it can heal someone when I cannot.

Besides, its actual HPS to HPM when used right is orgasmic.

EDIT: Oh, and people have to actually click it. That is the #1 hurdle to its usefulness even over proper placement.

I want to buy 1 talent point to stick in Lightwell. I know it's awesome, I loved it many many times over. I just can't see myself giving up something else for it at this point in time.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~