Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best stats for a DK

I just created a DK and he is now at lvl 67, this is the first time i play a melee class
    so i just do not know what stats to look for in my gear, I am currently planning on
    speccing Frost/Unholy and not planning on raiding with my DK.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Best stats for a DK

First off, if you're leveling stay away from Frost. Go heavy unholy or blood. Secondly the stats you should concern yourself with the most are:

+ strength
    + hit

Once you hit 80 +hit takes priority over +strength until you reach the hit cap (263). Other usefull stats, mostly depending on spec, are Armor Pen, AP, Agility, Crit, Expertise (if you're tanking), and of course a DK can always use a lot of stamina.

Spec unholy for leveling, the aoe is great in outlands and you can take numerous mobs at once. Look for gear with STR, STA, and +crit. Once you get to northrend alot of the quest gear gives haste and expertice. As long as the gear has STR on it youll be ok, I didnt pay much attention to the the haste and expertice till I got to 80.

There are alot of good threads for this on here do a search and you can probably find some better info.
    Exciting and Dynamic

I wouldnt worry about hit rating until you get to 80, its nice to have, but while levelling just go for strength and crit as core stats.

Plus while you level your hitrating will need to be more and more each level and generally, you level faster than you can keep up with gear stats.

Spec Unholy for leveling. You have great AoE and survivability.

Most the plate gear you pickup should have crit and strength on it. Hit is good too, but not as important until your 80. You can pretty much ignore armor pen as unholy, most your damage is spell based.

As a new 80, unholy with some blood is probably the most forgiving spec. Get hit rating until you're at 8% then stack strength and crit. If you do go blood, armor pen is a good stat as well.

Spec blood for leveling

Blood is the 100% king of leveling
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Frost is fine for lvling btw.

Unholy is definitely superior to the other specs for leveling in my opinion.

Blood is WAY better for leveling... yes you dont have lots of burst.. yes you dont have a pet...but selfhealing and downtime is reduced by a mile, plus if u play it smart u can kill elites who are few levels higher than you without a sweat. i think the highest elite i've killed was 4 levels higher than me..

str stam crit stats and hit and expertise later on
    ppl say blood and unholy are best for leveling but i made a hybrid spec go enough in unholy for the perma pet then the rest in blood

Doesnt matter what spec you are.. it's still facepalm easy
    Make sure to check out this thread made just for you before you make new topics.

Death Knight Guide/Q&A

If you know something which you think should be in the guide, then just let me know and i'll add it!

Quote Originally Posted by Granpa
    First off, if you're leveling stay away from Frost.
    Disregard that.

Any spec is good for leveling. Great thing about frost is it's high damage which means you kill faster, that is it's main point for less downtime. I say go frost because it has no gimmicky self heals or a pet to do your dirty work. Want to get good at playing a DK? Pick the spec that butterheads avoid because it is just slightly more challenging.

It will teach you the limits of the class throughout leveling and what to improve on, a concept a lot of slackjawed mouthbreathers playing DKs have yet to grasp.

Blood is the best for leveling because theres no down time, theres a massive amount of burst, and theres self healing up the ass

For leveling you can pretty much just use DS twice (since its not affected by diseases on the enemy, so it will always do its max damage) and 2 shot every mob, for fighting elites, blood have the highest amount of self healing and could easily solo even the toughest of elites till level 80

With other specs you need to open with a weak diseases before you can use your heavy hitters

only other spec that can say that they dont need to do this is HB glyph deep frost, since then HB is a hard hitting opener

You can pretty much solo every groupquest to around 75 with Blood.
    Pokez - Alius Orbis - Agamaggan EU.
    2s: 1915
    3s: 1950
    5s: 1550 (Going up quick)

unholy i found is not the way to go

u tend to aggro lots of crap u may not want

blood never dies u can solo most anything

frost no way but if u wanna raid eventually (i know u said u won't) then frost it is

Quote Originally Posted by killarth
    unholy i found is not the way to go

u tend to aggro lots of crap u may not want

blood never dies u can solo most anything

frost no way but if u wanna raid eventually (i know u said u won't) then frost it is

I hope you didn't just say that frost is the best spec for raiding.
    Make sure to check out this thread made just for you before you make new topics.

Death Knight Guide/Q&A

If you know something which you think should be in the guide, then just let me know and i'll add it!

I have a Dk i used only to max my Blacksmithing..Now I want to start using him. I am lvl 71 Unholy, and am looking for a good lvling spec, talents, rotation and glyphs.

I have seen several DK's lvling as Blood and agree their survival rate is off the chart....But then again I am new to the DK fight.

My toon is Deathband > US > Mug'thol

any help with this would be appreciated as I would like to go to a raid spec that will be usefull for Nax/Maly 10/25's.

thank you

Blood for leveling is pretty easy to spec

Just put every point in blood except for spell deflection, improved blood presence, will of the necropolis and blade barrier

I mean, yea sure you could refine it... but :

Half of you retards dont even know what you are saying.
    First off, he is asking for what stats are important for a DK, not what spec.
    For leveling, its really up to you, but when I did it i found mixing points in the Unholy & Blood trees to be the best. (Blood for self healing and unholy for fast aoeing + ghoul helps a ton). This is PRIOR to hitting 80, and once you hit 80 the best spec you depends on your gear and your play style.

As far as base stats concern..

STRENGTHSTRENGTHSTRENGTHSTRENGTHSTRENGTHSTRENGTHSTRENGTH, oh yeah, Strength. Strength is the best base stat that DKs should focus on because this is your attack power and determines how hard you hit.

Some base stats that you'll have, but shouldn't focus on (as a dps DK) is stam and agi. Although these do not hurt your DK, there is no reason to focus on that stat.

The base stats you should really never have are Int and Spirit. These do nothing for you.

As far as the other stats (that arn't base stats).. This is pretty much how it goes:

Like a few others have said, Hit rating is important. You'll most likely get hit through your gear anyway, but its best if you make the melee hit cap of 263 at least.

Another thing you'll want to get capped in is expertise, which is 26 expertise skill. (NOT rating)

Other stats that will help you out depending on ur spec are ArP (Armor Pen.) and Crit (Critical Strike Rating)
    ArP is really only for BLOOD (since most of the damage is physical), and Crit is more important for blood/frost since most of unholy dps isn't from crit.

Haste isn't very important to DKs. Only thing it affects is how fast you're hitting with white damage, since we dont have any castable dps.

Spell Pen is for PVP only to make it so other players cant resist your damage that is magic oriented.

Spell power should never be on your gear. Period.

Unholy is probably the way to go for raiding, most likely a 10/10/51 spec dipping into bladed armor in the blood tree, and black ice in the frost tree. Pending you pick up dirge your rotation is quite easy with a IT-PS-BS-BS-SS-rp dump-SSx3 rinse and repeat.

i personally use a frost dps spec for raiding and am 17/51/3 picking up all the 2h goodies in blood down to dark conviction, and the 3% spell hit in Unholy tree with an glyphed howling blast. The rotation here is easy as well, HB-Oblit-BS-BS-dump - Oblit-FS-Oblit-FS-Oblit-FS (pending you have the rp to weave in the Frost strikes like that, to maximize your killing machine procs)

Blood i really havent toyed with much since levelling to 80, so i honestly cannot say what spec is best. I'm assuming a 51/0/20 would work well, going down the unholy tree to pick up Necrosis and Blood caked Blade. as for rotations.. i don't really know anymore. with the improvements to death strike i'd say that would replace oblit in the rotation.

hope some of this worked for you.

oh, and for levelling, while all 3 trees will provide you with their own special way of levelling, blood does offer you the best survivability and least amount of downtime. After all.. thats what we want when we level eh? no downtime..
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.