Thread: prot warr dps

prot warr dps

first of all http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...er&n=Babymurph this is my char.the thing is i can rarely do over 1.1k dps in raids and that bugs me. what can i do to up my dps,(keeping the same talents, i know the one with unrelenting assault is the best dps,). i am well aware that i can upgrade my gear easily and get more str on it and also i need more expertise to reach the cap. the thing is : if i get a little more gear (considering im not lucky enough to get last laugh)and cap expertise; will i get my dps up a few hundreds? or is there something else im doing wrong ( im doing shockwave and concusion blow at every cd and i spam heroic strike + using every revenge and shield slam --most of the times with shield block for more dmg--) so i dont think my rotations are wrong. its really annoying for me when all other tanks out dps me by a good margin. even though im an orc and use the racial talent every cd. shuld i change the mongoose with an ap enchant will that help?
    any ideas will be really appreciated.
    thank you

Re: prot warr dps

Prot warrior DPS has always been shit.
    if you aren't tanking anything, don't expect to be anything more than debuff b!tch (sunder, TC, Demo)

prot warrior dps on something like patchwerk sits between 2000 and 2500 while tanking. i've seen prot pallies hit 3500.
    End of the day, you are a tank, you aren't there for DPS. as long as you have a threat lead on your DPS and you mitigate and avoid as much damage as possible you are fulfilling your role.

Max Threat rotation is basically our max DPS rotation.
    SS, Rev, Devx2
    once you have 5 sunders, replace the second devastate with Conc Blow/Shockwave

Well, prot DPS isn't nearly as high as, say DK dps. But a few things you haven't mentioned:

Thunderclap,for trash, is the most dmg heavy spell after shock wave of course. Using cleave for thrash will also up you dmg by quite a bit. Cleave glyph will increase dmg too, but that's only for thrash and thus not really a reason to glyph for it. In some fights you can time some CDs as well, like shock wave whenever Maxxena (or whatever) spawns the little spiders. And don't use demo shout and thunderclap single target if you don't have too.

Considering your gear your DPS really is not low (if you only count bosses). Including trash it's a bit lower than I would expect I guess.

Especially capping expertise will bring you a significant DPS boost.

Yeah like the others said, don't expect to do too much dmg while tanking. And don't expect any meaningful damage if you're not getting hit.

Apart from that, your spec is fine, your rotation is fine.

It could just be a gear difference. You're lacking block value, you're not hit or exp capped, and your AP is quite low. But that's to be expected for your gear level. You'll find that as you gain more upgrades in naxx 25 etc, your dps will improve simply from better stats. T7 helm is a good thing to get for example. Maybe an accuracy enchant for your weapon too, oh and a better weapon makes a big difference obviously. Even if it's just Slayer of the Lifeless for the faster weapon speed.

So to answer your question, yes, better gear is what you need to up your dps.
    <Ascension> - Barthilas AU

a prot warrior concerned about his/her/it's dps makes me think of ebay
    if u want better dps respec a uhmmm, dps spec
    if your threat is ok and your keeping your debuffs then your doing a prot warriors job.
    let the dps worry about their dps
    let the tanks worry about tanking :

1.1k is alright if you are offtank.

Main tanks should be prob 1600-1800 dps with your gear. And over 2k with full T7.5 in naxx. If you were hit/expertise capped and used a good amount of block value you could hit over 3500 dps on patchwerk 25 man.

And yes tank dps is very important, if tank is doing low dps it directly means hes putting out low threat. If dps has to hold back cause threat is too low, it makes boss fight longer = higher chance of wiping either from parrygib or healer going oom or boss enrage timer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hailsy
    a prot warrior concerned about his/her/it's dps makes me think of ebay
    if u want better dps respec a uhmmm, dps spec
    if your threat is ok and your keeping your debuffs then your doing a prot warriors job.
    let the dps worry about their dps
    let the tanks worry about tanking :
    You're wrong. Your DPS as a tank adds to the raid's DPS. In addition, when maximizing the damage potential of a raid, tank dps is important, especially, if other tanks might do significantly more DPS than you, then you might get replaced by other tanks.

@op

Improve your gear, then your DPS will improve too. Your rotation is right, equipment is ok, but there are many upgrades possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lór
    You're wrong. Your DPS as a tank adds to the raid's DPS. In addition, when maximizing the damage potential of a raid, tank dps is important, especially, if other tanks might do significantly more DPS than you, then you might get replaced by other tanks.
    Wrong. Tanks are all about threat. As long as you out-threat everyone else, your dps is insignificant. If your raid of ~18 dpsers can't make up 1-2k dps between them, they are fail.
    This user has been banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Varithorn1
    Wrong. Tanks are all about threat. As long as you out-threat everyone else, your dps is insignificant. If your raid of ~18 dpsers can't make up 1-2k dps between them, they are fail.
    I remember wiping on hardmodes cus we were 300 dps short.

serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Knuffelbert
    Well, prot DPS isn't nearly as high as, say DK dps. But a few things you haven't mentioned:

Thunderclap,for trash, is the most dmg heavy spell after shock wave of course. Using cleave for thrash will also up you dmg by quite a bit. Cleave glyph will increase dmg too, but that's only for thrash and thus not really a reason to glyph for it. In some fights you can time some CDs as well, like shock wave whenever Maxxena (or whatever) spawns the little spiders. And don't use demo shout and thunderclap single target if you don't have too.

Considering your gear your DPS really is not low (if you only count bosses). Including trash it's a bit lower than I would expect I guess.

Especially capping expertise will bring you a significant DPS boost.
    I've done about 3.5k on patch... 4k+ if speced for unrelenting assault build on certain fights..

@ the OP
    Your gear, I hate gemming for avoidenced I'd go stam or expertise. Your trinkets could be like grim toll and mark of norgannon.. Ummm.. But ulduar you're going to want other stuff like stam trinks which is fine. Umm if you're tanking then your dps should definitly be higher... Maybe your rotation? But if your not tanking dont expect much, go into battle stance only def stance to shield block ...Don't use heroic strike as much?..I dunno what to say it's better not to try to dps if you're prot but if you HAVE to then don't expect high numbers.

I'm not amazingly geared, but I am in mostly ilvl 213 with a sprinkle 226 here and there and I find that I average about 1850 in every raid. I find it unusual that you are so low but then again I don't really know how high my single target DPS is and I feel like between TClap and Shockwave, Cleave spam and Sunder glyph - I probably get decent numbers just trying to control everything.

I honestly think you should just focus on your TPS and that's it. Maybe put Shield Slam on a higher priority or something, but other than that DPS just isn't a number that you are supposed to be concerned with compared to some others.

Quote Originally Posted by Varithorn1
    In a 25 man raid environment, you may be right, although some hundred DPS by the tank can make the difference. My reply is a suggestion for the opener, which raids mainly 10 man content (armory) and in a 10 man environment the tank's DPS is very important.

I don't belive it how people make such useless topics like this ;s

Some1 above said; if you want to dps, get dual spec go arms/fury and do abit more than 1,1k dps...

Prot warrior dps "facepalm"