Yogg-Saron raid comp question (10 man)

Heya people.

My 10man Ulduar run got to Yogg-Saron this past weekend and I was just curious if my raid compisition is going to make the fight impossible or not. We seem to adjust to most fights in Ulduar with our lack of ranged quite well but after reading the fight I'm wondering if we will need to respec people into ranged dps for it or if its do-able how hard will it make it on us?

Tanks:
    Prot Pally
    Feral Druid
    Healers:
    Resto Shaman
    Holy Paladin
    Holy Priest or Resto Druid (they switch off due to scheduling)
    DPS:
    Ret Paladin
    Arms Warrior
    Combat Rogue
    Enhancement Shaman
    Arcane Mage

Re: Yogg-Saron raid comp question (10 man)

to heavy on melee, you need to kill the big tentacles and those cant be touched by melee so ranged only..
    And that mage will get i tough since you want to range dps down yogg in p3 to..

If the enh shammy could swap to elemental for Yogg that would be nice, or let him go resto and the resto elemental if possible..

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Breathe
    to heavy on melee, you need to kill the big tentacles and those cant be touched by melee so ranged only..
    And that mage will get i tough since you want to range dps down yogg in p3 to..

If the enh shammy could swap to elemental for Yogg that would be nice, or let him go resto and the resto elemental if possible..

those die so fast on 10 man

thx for the quick response, the enhancement shaman has an elemental set but its pretty weak and he just started building the gear up for it. I was assuming this would be one of the things we had to consider.

Idd - too many physical dps'ers. Our yogg kill yesterday, we actually had just me as physical dps.

Tanks:
    Warrior
    DK

Healers:
    Druid
    Paladin
    Priest

Dps-ranged:
    Mage
    Mage
    Boomkin
    Warlock

Dps-melee:
    Paladin (me)

the only thing you should care for is 2 tanks (1,5 if mt is good) 2-3 heals 1-3 Melees Rest Casters

no need for certain classes in 10ns

have enough casters to keep big tentacles in check and enough melees to get clear with p4 adds and vision mobs/brain

2 healers may suffice once you come clear with the adds in phase 1 ^^

Many class changes. You won't like the ones made to your own class but you'll think the changes made to the 9 other classes are all overpowered. Tigole

why 3 healers? we use 4-5 healers for 25man which i would imagine, has much higher damage to both the raid and tanks.

i would take 1-2 tanks, 2 healers, rest dps

Quote Originally Posted by Aerials
    why 3 healers? we use 4-5 healers for 25man which i would imagine, has much higher damage to both the raid and tanks.

i would take 1-2 tanks, 2 healers, rest dps
    A group just starting him would have it much easier with 3 healers.
    It can tone down after they learn the fight.

I've done two keeper with 1 tank 2 healer, you just have to do the dodge the cloud strat. If you have trouble with it, you can assign a dk to the middle to pull them in just as they're about to die, but it's pretty tricky without Hodir's buff.

Only thing you really need is probably 2 ranged dps for 4 keeper, unless your 1 ranged dps is a huge baller. The suggestion to ask the enh shaman to spec elemental for the fight is probably the best bet you've got in that group, unless the priest can go shadow, which is also good. I don't think a third healer will really help learn the fight as it is almost entirely a dps check in p2 and p3.

On our 10man kill we had
    Warr tank
    Resto sham
    Holy priest
    Holy pala
    2x rogue
    Enha sham(me)
    Mage
    Boomkin
    warlock

1tank, 3healers, 3melee and 3ranged dps.

And the kill went just fine.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !

my 1 light in the darkness, working on no lights group

prot pld
    tank dk, 23 5 43

resto shm
    holy/disc priest, think he uses holy for this fight

ret pld
    unholy dk
    hunter
    fireball mage
    shadow priest
    moonkin

probably gonna have to drop one of the ranged dps for a rogue for no lights, stupid FoK wound poison cheese =/

your group is way to melee heavy
    Val'anyr Completed: July 9
    Mimiron's Head
    Comablack @ magtheridon

1 Tank, 2 Healers.

We did it with mass melees on our first kill, you just have to do phase 3 a bit different then.

Have the shammy go elemental and feral druid in cat spec and gear if possible and put him in the portal group. If the dps in the portal do around equal damage each they may not require healing. A single tank is enough in phase 3 as long as he's ok at grabbing the mobs quickly (and a paladin with his taunts has an advantage there). Another thing you may try is have a healer spec dps for the fight.

If you haven't tried Yogg yet you'll notice he's actually a pretty forgiving fight in 10-man, the requirements for dps and healing are not very tight. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the crusher tentacles could be brought down with just healers + 1 ranged dpsing with a melee to help dps when the crusher is stunned.

let one of the shamas switch elemental and/or maybe try with an healer less and a ranged dd more

we did it with
    tanks:
    1dk
    1kitty-feral who tanks in phase 1 & 3

DD:
    arms warrior
    rogue
    2x firemage
    elemental shaman
    hunter

healer:
    shaman
    paladin

arms, rogue, kitty & elemental through the portals for bloodlust & offhealing & there are some save spots in the rooms where you can shoot without being hit by the skulls

Quote Originally Posted by SurePlay
    Most Loved : [...] Germans (yea German people are actually awesome, fuck the World War sterotype bullshit)

1 tank, 2 healers, 3 melee, 4 ranged would be "ideal", though it doesnt matter much. Just keep in mind the crushers need to be killed by ranged, so as long as you have the ranged to keep them under control, you have the proper group composition.

1 tank and 2 healers are really all you need, i solo tank yogg10 without any issues; it only gets tricky if the immortal guardians get backed up, and our healers say the healing in that fight is laughable.

We're running with about the same setup:

2x tank
    2x healer
    1x moonkin
    5x melee dps

So far we've killed XT hard mode pre nerf and tonight 1light bites the dust most likely!

Having only 1 ranged is a lil tricky in p2 specially since our moonkin also needs to do decursing but it's still doable!

As soon as the portal group is on the brain and the large tentacles are stunned you have an easy job zerging them down!

You could take a 2nd ranged with you, but you can handle it witouth just fine on 10man.

thanks for all the informative responses. We'll probably have the enhance go elemental.

Appreciate it.

you definitely only need to be using two healers, and it's quite doable with one tank but your feral can dps when needed so that's no biggie.

We generally have 4 melee (one of them is the OT specced to dps) + 1 healer for the corruptors and brain portals (healer stays out) and then there's 3 ranged, 1 healer and a tank for the crushers and cleanup. The tank is mostly interupting the crusher debuff in p2. This seems to be the best balance of group for the fight from our experience.

We had a feral druid (dps spec/gear) in bear form helping pick up adds in phase 1 so our prot warrior didn't have to run around so much. After phase 1 a second tank isn't particularly useful.

I believe the group composition for our kill was:

Prot Warrior
    Arms Warrior
    Feral Druid
    TTW mage
    TTW mage
    Survival Hunter
    Retribution Paladin
    Disc (Holy?) Priest
    Holy Paladin
    Holy Paladin

The fight is pretty forgiving as far as group composition goes, but having only one ranged dps is going to be pretty rough when it comes to the crusher tentacles. If your brain phases are being done quickly, you may have enough stunned time to allow a melee dps to help finish off crushers, however. Having that one ranged be an Arcane mage is going to make it even worse, as there's a mana draining debuff and several ways evocation can be interrupted. Even worse, if your ret paladin is heading into the portals for the brain phase, that mage isn't getting replenishment until the paladin is out. Arcane is a strong spec for many fights in Ulduar, but Yogg isn't one of them.

We did things a bit backwards in phase 3. We had ranged on the adds and melee on Yogg, with melee swapping back to adds for a few seconds to avoid Yogg's glare and whenever we fell behind on the adds. The adds were tanked close to Yogg. Myself and the other mage both had focus macros to cast Living Bomb on Yogg (as it doesn't require facing him, plus the adds rarely lived long enough to allow it to go off), plus we occasionally flipped around to fire off a few spells during any down time between adds.

This fight really isn't a DPS race in 10 man. It helps to have a strong team for the brain phase, but otherwise it's more about proper execution than large numbers. The enrage timer is very forgiving.