Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Drain life in the affliction rotation and also in PvP importance

all i can say i am realy satisfied with warlockplaystyle in pve. and i just cant understand why you say that you wish different playstyles because we have them allready.
    just a list
    1 dotlock you have dots, haunt, sb as filler and soullech(a channeldspell) under 25% as your filler. and the
    destruktion % of the overall damage from a affli warlock is maybe 20%.
    2 full demo which is a good supporter spec and you have good old sp spamm with dotd and a godmode on a
    2min cd also a nice pet that you have to manage.
    3. full destro you play most with incin and direkt damage spells on cooldowns
    4. demo destro hybrids with another playstyle one with felguard and another with conflagrate
    also dezimate which is a nice playstyle.

and there all viable ok there is some spec that does in some situations more damage but not as it was in bc times where you have to spec THE officiel warlockspec that everybody must have.

and i never mind on pvp in wow if i want to play a balanced game i woud play starcraft broodwar or
    counterstrike...

15+ Year Old Account

I just want to put forth the concept that players will cast what is worth casting.

Drain Life as it currently stands is not worth casting as a dps spell in both PVP and PVE. Bumping its damage (even if you left the healing the same) will not make this spell worth casting.

Drain Life is currently 30% less than Shadow Bolt. Thus you need to buff the spell by ~40% to make it even worth casting as our filler (because Shadow bolt applies Shadow Embrace and ISB).

30% more healing means we're OP, esp. when mine heals for 1500 as is.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    I just want to put forth the concept that players will cast what is worth casting.

Drain Life as it currently stands is not worth casting as a dps spell in both PVP and PVE. Bumping its damage (even if you left the healing the same) will not make this spell worth casting.

Drain Life is currently 30% less than Shadow Bolt. Thus you need to buff the spell by ~40% to make it even worth casting as our filler (because Shadow bolt applies Shadow Embrace and ISB).

30% more healing means we're OP, esp. when mine heals for 1500 as is.
    I already talked about that comparison of damage to shadowbolt

Second, drain life doesn't have to do as much damage straight up as shadowbolt. Give affliction talents that gives dots a bonus for using drain life and things of that nature.
    Nor am I convinced that warlocks being healed for more than 1500 in a burst environment easily capable of 10k crits is automatically overpowered.

All you need is some pet survivability(which will be addressed by pets gaining resil) and some defense against stuns,aka teleport while stunned.
    this is good idea but teleport is not supposed to be blink like - this is blizz statement (i think ;p)
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. "

~Ghostcrawler

i think that this is a problem i have always wondered why this has no use in pve

blizz could fix this for pve and make it not OP in pvp

buff the damage by say 30% (the diff between this and shadowbolt from the former posts)
    make the healing only 70% of the damage (gives the current heal but more damage)

this would reduce shadow bolt spam but SB should still be kept in the rotation

like instead of 3 shadowbolts u have 2 and then a drain life

plus to those hwo say a self heal is useless in pve

affliction warlocks lifetap a ton
    this could make that more healer friendly

also aoe damage could be self healed more practically saving mana of healers

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ofmanv
    Nor am I convinced that warlocks being healed for more than 1500 in a burst environment easily capable of 10k crits is automatically overpowered.
    1500 HPS, on top of Siphon Life (~800/second), on top of Felhunter glyph, on top of Haunt, is not overpowered? We haven't even started on the synergy of this and your partner.

This would invent a reverse peel - the warlock stands there and takes it, his healer heals through the remainder. The opposing team gets fed up and switches targets. Boom, warlock is free again to recast damage, control their healer, etc.

I see this ending badly. Thats it. I don't want to be the survival caster. Another poster pointed out that doing damage from range means you should be more vulnerable at melee. I don't want to be good at both, and I don't want to be good at survival at the expense of my ranged dps.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    1500 HPS, on top of Siphon Life (~800/second), on top of Felhunter glyph, on top of Haunt, is not overpowered? We haven't even started on the synergy of this and your partner.

This would invent a reverse peel - the warlock stands there and takes it, his healer heals through the remainder. The opposing team gets fed up and switches targets. Boom, warlock is free again to recast damage, control their healer, etc.

I see this ending badly. Thats it. I don't want to be the survival caster. Another poster pointed out that doing damage from range means you should be more vulnerable at melee. I don't want to be good at both, and I don't want to be good at survival at the expense of my ranged dps.
    More realistically in an arena situation, 500 HPS while draining barring interrupts and stuns, Siphon life 500/three seconds, no one uses felhunter glyph.

I just think its ironic you're afraid warlocks will become "the survival caster" if drain life does more damage. I think Burning Crusade has scarred you. Warlocks are so not even close to having good survivability in WoTLK.

Also, your description of the "reverse peel" sounds fair enough to me. Playing a melee class in arenas should require more thought than "Tunnel vision the warlock at all times." No matter who you focus fire, the person you're not focusing firing is going to be free to cast. That's not just warlocks.

If you can't switch onto the warlock and burst him down in a short period of time, it seems kind of broken to me that warlocks are still tunnel visioned seeing as its the most efficient and easy way to win, rather than switching to something else.

15+ Year Old Account

bc has scarred me. I dont want to be forced into one spec to win. I enjoy how pvp is right now, regardless of how bad people think it is.

In regards to "tunnel vision the lock" the order of importance is:

warlock
    boomkin
    shaman/shadowpriest (interchangable)

Focusing any of these will result in a win. 100% of the time. They rely on spells with cast times to do sufficient damage, and use paltry cc effects to pull these off. They have piss poor defenses that are easily counterable.

The problem is not "omg a warlock kill it", its "omg that person is a weak caster kill it". We just happen to be the most dangerous if ignored.

R.I.P. YARG

warlock
    boomkin
    shaman/shadowpriest (interchangable)

Focusing any of these will result in a win. 100% of the time.
    Do I need to explain why I think this needs to change?