Ret Gear in Arena - high end pve gear vs. crappy pvp gear

Hi there,

I'll be a ret-paladin in an arena team and since ret is my mainspec and I raid ulduar 25 with my guild i got pretty decent gear. 4k attackpower, 36% crit unbuffed. I'll join a team with a full resi paladin healer that heals in prot spec.

My question is if i should get my hand on the very crappy pvp gear (hateful, wintergrasp stuff) in order to get some resi or should i just go without any resi and hope that my burst is high enough to kill things fast? I have some wintergrasp pieces and even those 3 pieces lower my crit by 5%. Do you think our 2v2 team will do well even without any resi on me until i can get some deadly pieces? Or should I definetly gear up for arena more before even entering it? :-[

Thank you!

Re: Ret Gear in Arena - high end pve gear vs. crappy pvp gear

Hey there. So up front I don't have a Paladin but I spend a decent amount of time reading up on forums here and the official WoW site. I'm pretty sure that as a general rule PvE gear is not good for arenas in the long run even as a Paladin. Some weapons or off-set pieces may be useful for procs or stats but more often than not raid gear should stay in PvE.

I play casters (Warlock, Resto Druid & Mage) and I know for us resilience is critical. Since you're a plate class it may not be as necessary but geared classes will have around a 35% or higher crit chance which you won't be able to reduce at all without PvP gear.

I'd say get the starter PvP gear myself and go from there. Also I've read on multiple forums that a Prot Paladin will NOT cut it in arenas. Again I don't play one nor do I run with one but without the Holy talents I don't see it happening.

10+ Year Old Account

Hey
    Im prot
    Ive never had anything above 62 so im kinda new to endgame
    and once i get to 80, im kinda confused about what to do
    should i PVP, like BGs and arenas and stuff?
    or PVE...
    yeah i know, its all about your interests...GAH!
    but what has more use for a prot pally?
    and if i dual spec, could i do both?

but what i understand ur saying is that PVE gear sucks against people loaded with PVP gear. so id have to get 2 different sets?

i feel like im answering my own questions.
    but if im getting anything wrong, set me straight, lol.

-Turis 8)

If you're just playing 2s your PvE gear(I'm assuming it's Ulduar 25, if not I'd probably go for hateful) should be okay until you can pick up at least Deadly gear. A lot of rets in 2s wear pieces of PvE gear anyway. What I do recommend is to pick up the offset pieces(rings belt bracers neck cloak boots) asap. You don't lose all that much in the way of offensive stats, and you will definitely need the resil as you start playing better teams.

tldr: Get in there and start playing some games. If your healer has a decent amount of resil you should be okay for now, as long as you're not bad.

at first you have to consider that you only need 5% hit vs players and also greatly less expertise, so you can first start to swap out your hit/expertise items with str/ap/crit/or whatever youve got-stuff to improve your gear even further. after that if you start at 0 rating, your gear will be just fine, but for higher ratings like lemme guess about 1700-1800 youll need some resilience like dunno lets say about 200. youll see for yourself how its working out anyways. if you feel you die too fast, get resilience, if you dont then dont heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrøg
    Hey
    Im prot
    Ive never had anything above 62 so im kinda new to endgame
    and once i get to 80, im kinda confused about what to do
    should i PVP, like BGs and arenas and stuff?
    or PVE...
    yeah i know, its all about your interests...GAH!
    but what has more use for a prot pally?
    and if i dual spec, could i do both?

but what i understand ur saying is that PVE gear sucks against people loaded with PVP gear. so id have to get 2 different sets?

i feel like im answering my own questions.
    but if im getting anything wrong, set me straight, lol.

-Turis 8)
    Uh... wow. So I can't tell you what do to. Anything tank specced is best in PvE. That being said my buddy LOVED BGs on his Prot Warrior a while back because he never died and had tons of CC. So as a Prot Paladin you may like BGs but that will only reward you with semi-decent off-set PvP gear.

In arena, as I stated, I'm pretty sure the Prot Paladins are not viable. At least my Warlock/Rogue and Resto Druid/Warlock teams have no problem with them. Maybe the players we saw didn't know how to use their spec well but regardless they were of no threat.

In PvE I've read that Prot Paladins are currently the weakest tanks in Ulduar though I've seen some great players in my guild have no problems tanking regardless of class (Druid, DK, Paladin and Warrior). So if you love Prot spec then I'd stick to PvE since that's where you'll shine. Also with dual spec you could go Ret or Holy for either end-game option.

But to answer your question: you will need two sets of gear if you wish to partake in both PvP and PvE. The stat allocation varies greatly depending on the type of gear. Resilience is an expensive stat that is not only useless in PvE but also costs you other stats your class needs to do well in PvP (crit, AP, w/e the class requires).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul
    at first you have to consider that you only need 5% hit vs players and also greatly less expertise, so you can first start to swap out your hit/expertise items with str/ap/crit/or whatever youve got-stuff to improve your gear even further. after that if you start at 0 rating, your gear will be just fine, but for higher ratings like lemme guess about 1700-1800 youll need some resilience like dunno lets say about 200. youll see for yourself how its working out anyways. if you feel you die too fast, get resilience, if you dont then dont heh.
    Okay so if a class needs resilience (which they ALL do at high end arena) 200 is nothing. I run with people who have 900-1100 resilience. Granted they're mostly casters who, as I mentioned, need it more but anything under 600 is pretty useless tbh. =D

Tbh, resilience doesnt do much unless you have a decent amount and for a ret, id say 600-650, if your not willing to sacrifice your stats for this, or cant get the resi atm then dont worry too much, aslong as you have a PvP use trinket of some sort then you can get your pally healer to spec offensive and try some burst/cc strats. Its unlikely you'll reach 2k or higher like that unfortunately, but you'll get some arena points to improve resi atleast.

get high enough without your resil to buy all the honor offpieces as well as 2pc furious. the furious will take awhile, but hte honor shouldn't thats all you'll need, and you'll have about perfect gear

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders