Thread: Searing Pain

Searing Pain

I never really used Searing Pain, and I don't now. But it does seem like a nifty little spell and I was wondering if Blizz could somehow rework a talent or the spell itself to make it viable for something. Besides I think something to spice up the Destro rotation would be nice.

Thoughts? Comments? Yay? Nay?
    - Khody is the Lord and God of the Forums. When spoken to, you may only refer to him as the following:
    'Lord Khody'
    'My Liege'
    'The One True King'
    'God'

Re: Searing Pain

good for levelling and tanking mirions head?? (flying machine thing). Other than that, not useful and in reality adding a high damage, quick cast ability to pve would raise warlock dps to high for blizzards liking forcing a nerf, which they'll fuck up, making us worse.
    Everthing is so much easier when you stop giving a shit

not even using sp to tank mimi's head, as a destro lock u easly can get 4k tps just using your cycle
    All men…are NOT created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born weak of body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different! Yes, the very existence of man is discriminatory! That's why there is war, violence and unrest. Inequality is not evil. Equality is! - Emperor Charles zi Britannia

its good for pvp where you dont have enough time for shadow bolt, and pve where you tank and need aggro. example lady vashj in bcwhen i had to kite stridders, havnt played my lock since bc so i dont know if locks still kite anything i just heal now

15+ Year Old Account

Besides I think something to spice up the Destro rotation would be nice.
    Blizzard cant spice up destrospec or any spec much. The key to spicing something up is RNG and they said they want it removed as much as possible. Only major RNG warlocks have are shadow trance.

As much as RNG can make something overpowered as well as underpowered in PvP I would still label it as one of the keyelements of making a PvE dps/healing cycle fun.

Another nice reason to seperate PvE from PvP, which won't happen
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account

Searing pain is what affliction warlocks should be casting in PVP for direct damage, especially if there is a chance to be interrupted.

It is also how Blizzard made more diverse encounters. Twin Emporers, Illidan Phase 4, Leo Phase 2, etc. "Lets make a ranged tank"

Making it more interesting doesn't matter. It has to do more than double its current damage in order to be considered in a destro rotation, and since incinerate procs decimation it will never be used by demo locks.

R.I.P. YARG

Searing pain is the equvalent to a mages scorch, only this spell causes a massive amount of aggro and doesn't apply a debuff to the target.
    Alot of people oversee this spell as nothing more than a "OH Shit!" button when good spells are on a cooldown and running won't get you nowhere. However, this spell can pull out more dps than incinerates if you have talents and glyphs into it. I experimented with this spell in battlegrounds and arenas, you'll be surprised how much damage u can do when interweaving this spell into your rotation. My hits with searing pain were 2500 with pyroclasm up, and the talents that increase searing pain's crit chance work with pyroclasm because it crits almost every time! My crits would range from 5800, to over 6k dmg! And thats a 1.5 second cast, not mentioning haste...

For Arenas, this spell melts people before they know what hits em... I throw in searing pains on my target before I conflagerate, then toss out a shadowfury on the healer and choasbolt my target and end him with a few quick backdraft searing pains... It work almost every game until the rogues started getting smarter

Overall, this spell has alot of potential if you use the glyph and put talents into it. Other than that, it doesn't really compare to incinerate spams if your not criting with searing pain all the time. BTw, highest crit ever with searing pain was just over 9k, beserker FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Searing pain is what affliction warlocks should be casting in PVP for direct damage, especially if there is a chance to be interrupted.

It is also how Blizzard made more diverse encounters. Twin Emporers, Illidan Phase 4, Leo Phase 2, etc. "Lets make a ranged tank"

Making it more interesting doesn't matter. It has to do more than double its current damage in order to be considered in a destro rotation, and since incinerate procs decimation it will never be used by demo locks.
    Searing Pain is perfect for Affliction Warlock PvP "burst". Shadow Bolts take too long to cast and can lock you out of the Shadow school of magic which makes you useless.

I've never used this as a Destruction Warlock PvP spell BUT I'm wondering if I got the Glyph and Improved Searing Pain talents if it would be worth it. The critical strike damage would be 120% of the spells normal damage with the glyph and the crit chance would be ~45% for geared Warlocks in PvP.

Interesting indeed! I never would've thought of this. Maybe I'm a noob or maybe this idea is fail?

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Lol no, l2 fake cast

Quote Originally Posted by Darklordace
    Lol no, l2 fake cast
    Meh. That can work but if ill timed or even remotely laggy congrats, you're not 100% useless.

I used to spam Searing Pain when I was Affliction and whenever I got interrupted or Counterspelled or what have you I'd just Fear then Shadowbolt. =D

It's a niche spell, used for niche encounters that involve range tanking.

Retooling it would probably result in a less interesting ability then its current state.
    I'm your maker, not thy saviour.

If you're using searing pain, you better be tanking Kil'jaedan, Mimiron, The Eredar twins or Leotheras the blind.

Other than that, if you have a full set of dots on people in arena and need to do "Burst" (lol) damage, by all means, cast your warlock smite!

If you're casting searing pain instead of incinerate/CB as destro though, you have serious issues.

as felguard/ember, i've only used searing pain when farming and when in pvp... especially in wg, when incinerates seem to get lost in the lag...