Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Give paladins a HoT?

Quote Originally Posted by Niuxe
    Yeah I know that we just can't keeping geting better. But I would give up my Instant spell
    I think if we were to talk about what would be a fair trade for a HoT, I believe it would be a much more interesting conversation. I wish I could top the healing meters (not that I pay much attention to them) and some nights I come close but honestly as someone else said... as long as my target, no matter who/what it is stays alive, then I've done my job and proven my worth to the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by telemain
    The holy 2set is trash.

I don't want a hot on my pally. If I wanted to hot people I'd play my priest or druid, but we definitely need a change to our healing. Spamming holy light damn boring, and having a massively large overheal is annoying. I also hate that any paladin that is awake basically won't go OOM. There is not enough skill to paladin healing, and I'd like that fixed.
    I still vote for a melee healer.

Make the mechanics require of the Paladin to strike the boss in melee. Illumination should be a vital regen talent, but redesigned to feel less like our primary source of mana. Make it so that healing is very mana intensive, through frequent Holy Shocks and perhaps a holy damage > healing conversion onto a marked tank, but your seal of light heals also benefit the tank. Using SoL would be a reasonable HoT effect that means you cast fewer direct heals, and spend less mana, while using SoW would provide the extra mana to cover the difference, so you could cast as many heals as needed, but no HoT effect. Finally you could play an offensive healer, your DPS couldn't get too high, though, because you'd be TIMING your damage abilities (Judgement, ShotR, Holy Shock) so that they became effective healing. I think all three would make for interesting playstyles.

Holy needs something in it's tree to make it more attractive. I don't think a hot is the answer, but a conversion talent from Plate Armor to Spell Power has been talked about for a very long time.

Something I would like to see implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinestorm
    Holy needs something in it's tree to make it more attractive. I don't think a hot is the answer, but a conversion talent from Plate Armor to Spell Power has been talked about for a very long time.

Something I would like to see implemented.
    But my non-spirit crit-cloth

Quote Originally Posted by telemain
    The holy 2set is trash.

I don't want a hot on my pally. If I wanted to hot people I'd play my priest or druid, but we definitely need a change to our healing. Spamming holy light damn boring, and having a massively large overheal is annoying. I also hate that any paladin that is awake basically won't go OOM. There is not enough skill to paladin healing, and I'd like that fixed.
    I wouldn't say their is not enough skill, but I will agree that it's boring.

If youw ant switch it up so only the druid main tank heals in 10man ulduar and have you raid heal, bumps up the difficulty a lot as I did it the other day, first time I've had fun as a holy paladin in about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    I take it this isn't a raid setting, which is what most people are talking about. Imp devo is useless as you most definately have a tree for the HoT moments and//or improved gift.

And you could have 99% overheal, and still never run out of mana as a holy light build, as long as you have a replenishment.

I got myself a druid buddy and went to north bank in dal to see how long i'd last, with one druid innervating me (Happened twice) I lasted 15 minutes, and still had 20000 mana leftover, but I got bored and stopped.

Overheal is such a small issue that you should just ignore it as long as you do what you're supposed to do (IE: keep those two tanks alive)
    Yes, it is a raid setting. Sorry, that post got cut off half way through my thoughts/explanations because I was in class and it was time to give my presentation. I took imp devo aura because frankly the remaining talents I don't have in holy are lackluster at best, and it's usefull when I'm not raiding. It's also occasionally useful in raiding too, such as thorium if we don't have a pally tank or tree druid going down the hallways.

Yes, we can heal forever without going oom, but it's boring. That's was my point.

I use flash in a raid setting because generally it is far more useful. It's common for the tank to not be taking enough damage to need holy light, so I do raid heals with flash which keeps the tank topped off and the raid up. It saves some mana for those other healers who still have it as a resource instead of just a blue bar that never goes down. Of course when heavy damage is incoming I swap it up to holy light.

In 25s we generally have too many pallies, so someone else can keep up the OT. In 10man the situation varies quite a bit and so my healing style varies with it.

The key point however is that whether I'm raid spamming FOL or tank spamming HL. It's just spam. It's boring. I wish I had leveled my priest instead so I could be disc, since I prefer preventing damage anyway.

There ARE more buttons than just FoL, and HL though.

Flash, Holy light, holy shock, sacred shield beacon of light, several hand spells, divine favor managing, cooldown managing

To start, I've been a paladin for around 3 years now, and I don't want a hot. We work in tandem with the other healers to maximize performance, we deliver the big heals, they put in the intermediate heals to deal with the damage coming in while we're casting.

If your raid heals are getting sniped, TALK to the other healers in your raid! I ran a seperate channel just for healers and as the raid leaders went over the fight on vent, I assigned healers to the tanks and raid. If you feel the need to raid heal with more than just your holy shock, get a healing leader in your raid, have him assign the healers and assign people to watch groups if needed.

As for changing our skills because some of you are bored, take a second and step back. Look at your raid makeup. Are you running too many healers? Naxx 10 could be done with 2 healers, Ulduar 10 is the same. I ran naxx 25 with 4 healers, Ulduar 25 its nice to have 5-6 as you learn the fights, but once people get to know what they're doing, 4 healers will be the norm, even more so when hard modes become whats on farm to hit the timers reliably and still gear people up.

You may have several paladins in your raid. Great. Not every raid does. Some have a ret paladin judging light. Some don't. 10 classes, 3 specs, 30 combos. 10-25 man raids, you can't have one of everything everytime, and you will more than likely have several of some. There are literally hundreds of ways to set up healers for raids depending on the fight, number of offtanks, types of healers present, etc. Change things up, go ret for a raid or 2, have one of the other healers bring an alt in and dps, etc.

Things are far easier if you work with the other healers. As for overheals, so what? Its going to happen. DPS doesn't have to worry about overdamage, damage is damage. Long as it dies, they did their job. Same goes for healing. Overhealing doesn't matter if you are oom as the boss dies or still have mana left, adn the tanks are alive and people who didn't do stupid things(standing in fire/rockets/pool of Algalon spooge from seeing more newbs walk in/etc. If you judge light, congrats, you will see overhealing. Everytime a melee dps hits the mob when they're at full health, you overhealed them. Is it bad? No. They're full. It didn't cost anything. Its not an issue. Healing the MT with holy light and splash hits the melee who are topped up. More overheal. Not a big deal.

Overhealing is a stat thats only good for adding to effective heals to show your total output for e-peen. As far as stat value goes, its as valuable as knowing how much the paint on your refrigerator weighs. As long as the food is cold at the end of the day, it has done its job, and no one gives a fuck. If you're THAT worried about overheals, walk into Ulduar 25 with 3 healers. If you can keep everyone alive, I can garuntee you wont see a large overheal number. Just don't come to me wanting to sue after you get out of the hospital for having a stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkalibur
    To start, I've been a paladin for around 3 years now, and I don't want a hot. We work in tandem with the other healers to maximize performance, we deliver the big heals, they put in the intermediate heals to deal with the damage coming in while we're casting.

If your raid heals are getting sniped, TALK to the other healers in your raid! I ran a seperate channel just for healers and as the raid leaders went over the fight on vent, I assigned healers to the tanks and raid. If you feel the need to raid heal with more than just your holy shock, get a healing leader in your raid, have him assign the healers and assign people to watch groups if needed.

As for changing our skills because some of you are bored, take a second and step back. Look at your raid makeup. Are you running too many healers? Naxx 10 could be done with 2 healers, Ulduar 10 is the same. I ran naxx 25 with 4 healers, Ulduar 25 its nice to have 5-6 as you learn the fights, but once people get to know what they're doing, 4 healers will be the norm, even more so when hard modes become whats on farm to hit the timers reliably and still gear people up.

You may have several paladins in your raid. Great. Not every raid does. Some have a ret paladin judging light. Some don't. 10 classes, 3 specs, 30 combos. 10-25 man raids, you can't have one of everything everytime, and you will more than likely have several of some. There are literally hundreds of ways to set up healers for raids depending on the fight, number of offtanks, types of healers present, etc. Change things up, go ret for a raid or 2, have one of the other healers bring an alt in and dps, etc.

Things are far easier if you work with the other healers. As for overheals, so what? Its going to happen. DPS doesn't have to worry about overdamage, damage is damage. Long as it dies, they did their job. Same goes for healing. Overhealing doesn't matter if you are oom as the boss dies or still have mana left, adn the tanks are alive and people who didn't do stupid things(standing in fire/rockets/pool of Algalon spooge from seeing more newbs walk in/etc. If you judge light, congrats, you will see overhealing. Everytime a melee dps hits the mob when they're at full health, you overhealed them. Is it bad? No. They're full. It didn't cost anything. Its not an issue. Healing the MT with holy light and splash hits the melee who are topped up. More overheal. Not a big deal.

Overhealing is a stat thats only good for adding to effective heals to show your total output for e-peen. As far as stat value goes, its as valuable as knowing how much the paint on your refrigerator weighs. As long as the food is cold at the end of the day, it has done its job, and no one gives a fuck. If you're THAT worried about overheals, walk into Ulduar 25 with 3 healers. If you can keep everyone alive, I can garuntee you wont see a large overheal number. Just don't come to me wanting to sue after you get out of the hospital for having a stroke.
    Haha, the last paragraph made my day. The idea of really being concerned about overheal amounts is so incredibly dated.

Also, be careful what you wish for, paladins. I might perhaps trade a little mana regen for some more healing options, but tbh I'd just like Glyph of Holy Light to crit again. Holy paladins definitely fill a niche right now that I don't think any other class can match. Yes, other healers have a significant edge in aoe heals, but I'm not the guy screaming for innervates either, and the tanks don't die. If you're bored, try another healing class.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kendaus
    I don't get it... In the average raid, I'm Buffing, MT healing, Making sure that Beacon doesn't fall off of other tank (or myself :P) Judging Wisdom, Holy Shocking/FoL'ing (when crits) the raid, Clensing, Salving folks who can't control their threat, Bubble Sac'ing Tanks, and constantly managing other cooldowns like trinkets and Illumination... and if that's not enough... now we're dodging rockets and green clouds... ;D

The argument for a HoT for our class is weak when, at the end of the day we Paladins bring utility to a raid that other class's don't. But if you want to have a fair discussion about this, what would you be willing to give up for a HoT? Kings? Bubbles? Holy Shock?
    Druids have Innervate, Cyclone, Hibernate, De-curse, GoW, Battle Rez.... both classes have plenty of raid Utility.

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022
    give mages a healing spell .. then.

Wow. L2Evocate. Kthx

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

if they gave the holy tree a hot, it would just be more of a reason to not go down the holy tree as a healer =P

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson
    If you really don't like the holy light playstyle, lean towards spellpower and run with a 54/17/0 build. Yes, I know it's not popular with a lot of paladins, but if you don't think it's viable, go armory Mackzster of Ensidia. :P
    I think his main reason for speccing into prot is for the aura since I don't believe they have a full time prot paladin or at least I didn't see one.

You must be kidding!!! Can druid go bubble and heal for full health while their target is stunned?!? You can interrupt, silence druid from casting that school of spells and we are dead!!!

Give druids vanish, bubble and balance druids ability to heal while in moonkin form :P

BTW as for request i was sarcastic!!!!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by markos82

BTW as for request i was sarcastic!!!!
    ORLY

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    I still vote for a melee healer.

Make the mechanics require of the Paladin to strike the boss in melee. Illumination should be a vital regen talent, but redesigned to feel less like our primary source of mana. Make it so that healing is very mana intensive, through frequent Holy Shocks and perhaps a holy damage > healing conversion onto a marked tank, but your seal of light heals also benefit the tank. Using SoL would be a reasonable HoT effect that means you cast fewer direct heals, and spend less mana, while using SoW would provide the extra mana to cover the difference, so you could cast as many heals as needed, but no HoT effect. Finally you could play an offensive healer, your DPS couldn't get too high, though, because you'd be TIMING your damage abilities (Judgement, ShotR, Holy Shock) so that they became effective healing. I think all three would make for interesting playstyles.
    Go play Warhammer if you want that playstyle, keep it out of WoW.
    Have you ever seen a ret paladins healing on fights like mimiron or hodir?