Staves seem disappointing.

Picked up greatstaff of the nexus today. I was pretty excited because I'm in an ulduar-running guild (I'm the new guy whose gear is terribad) and I've been using the argent tournament mainhand and heroic badge offhand. Pretty low lvl items considering the content my guild is on.

Problem is, I'm not sure the greatstaff is an upgrade. Pretty lame that a weapon from dailies and a badge offhand is comparable to a 213 iLevel staff that drops off a raid boss.

Sure, it's only 10 man, but Maly isn't a pushover.

I've been thinking that I've hardly ever seen Mages with staves. Pretty lame IMO.

Re: Staves seem disappointing.

They do compare, the difference is that the majority of the item budget is spent on stats like stam, int, etc rather than spelldamage, crit or haste.

Using a main hand a an offhand gives you more flexibility in your gear set which is why you see most casters using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noochie
    Using a main hand a an offhand gives you more flexibility in your gear set which is why you see most casters using them.
    For sure. Trying to get my +hit to where it needs to be has become a nightmare with this staff. It's like some sort of cruel mini-game.

the 2 staves from 10/25 hodir hard mode are BiS until the algalon dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminair
    They do compare, the difference is that the majority of the item budget is spent on stats like stam, int, etc rather than spelldamage, crit or haste.
    I lose about 30 spirit with the staff and gain maybe 10 int (off the top of my head). Stam is great and all but I don't even look at it usually.

I like my Staff of Endless Winter, but in general, a lot of the lesser staves are still pretty comparable because of a lack of a really well itemized offhand. Unfortunately it had to be on Algalon's loot table, just like how the only good ring in Ulduar10 also drops off Algalon.

Generally speaking, you'll be better off with a mainhand and an offhand. However, as a Shadow Priest, my Best in Slot is definitely that Staff of Endless Winter, and I believe it's the same with Mages, Warlocks, Boomkins and probably even Elemental Shammys. Well... Technically, the legendary healer mace is my best in slot, but that aint going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne
    Generally speaking, you'll be better off with a mainhand and an offhand. However, as a Shadow Priest, my Best in Slot is definitely that Staff of Endless Winter, and I believe it's the same with Mages, Warlocks, Boomkins and probably even Elemental Shammys. Well... Technically, the legendary healer mace is my best in slot, but that aint going to happen.
    This be the mage's forum. No healer mace shall be called Best in Slot here.
    Champion of the Naaru Hand of A'dal Ambassador Elder Merrymaker Chef Knight-Lieutenant Korred, the red mage, of the Nightfall, the Twilight Vanquisher, the Explorer, the Hallowed, the Argent Champion, Guardian of Cenarius, Jenkins, the Undying.

Don't be afraid of the end of the world (of warcraft). Be afraid of the unlived life.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Korred
    This be the mage's forum. No healer mace shall be called Best in Slot here.
    Thank you!

15+ Year Old Account

A general lack of staves in Naxx/Ulda. Im so sick of MH/OH for my warlcok, since Kz I had them with a short break with felmyst staff.

A casterdps to me "should" have a staff
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

The reasoning behind making best MH + OH better than best staff may be that staff is just one item... while for best combo out there you need two?

But now you can put on staff better enchant (more sp than for other weapons).

Yes you've pointed out the fact that staves are not as well itemized as MH/OH combos. Usually at the same step of iLvl you can find better spent item budget in MH and OH rather than staves (which still be good for healers). The reason why all casters look at the staff of endless winter as a sub-BiS is because there is no other main hand or off-hand item with the same iLvl before Algalon (and you know, Algalon is Algalon...) so it's more likely the one they have a chance to get in the near future.

I dont know what the hell you people are looking at. But our BIS is a staff, and the Lifebinder and Intensity are both some awesome staves. Staves sucked in Naxx, not so in Ulduar.

Until you get to Uldaur Hard Modes and/or Heroic Ulduar; main hand and an offhand always beats a staff in terms of stats.

That being said the staffs found in Ulduar are a welcome change along with the better SP buff introduced staff only.

lifebinder rocks for an arcane mage atleast until hardmode loot.

15+ Year Old Account

i'm assuming no one here has tried to do some arenas for the mui caliente staves from there?

BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    i'm assuming no one here has tried to do some arenas for the mui caliente staves from there?

The haste staff is indeed en fuego.
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

I got the staff from 10 man hodir hard last week on my lock, it beats the dagger from yogg-saron heroic :> .