Warlocks and Aggro

I never see much about it, but I seem to be having a huge problem with it as Dest Spec. I give the tank a few seconds to get aggro usually 4 or 5, then start in, Immolate, Chaos, Conflag, Incin Etc etc, but just a few seconds later, my aggro rockets up, somtimes I dont even make it past the first Chaos Bolt if its a crit. Am I doing a rotation wrong? Or is it somthing every warlock is having problems with?

Re: Warlocks and Aggro

Think about what you are doing for a second.

Immolate then CB then Conflag.

Immolate's DD isn't much even if it crits, its nothing to really worry about.

CB is the biggest DD move, then you follow it up with your second biggest DD move. And since conlfag is instant, it hits at about the same time as CB.

Its about as much burst threat as you can do.

You basically are just going to have to wait longer after the encounter starts.

from what i have seen only pala tank can deal with that burst... you just have to wait a bit if its someone else..

but if you are talking about raid environment then somethings wrong with your tanks

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

If the tank sucks you will pull aggro. With my lock I do not even come close to pulling aggro over our warrior MT even if immo, conflag and cb all crit.

Then there are pugs where I get to 50% threat with just my immo critting. It is all about the tank.

Im starting to think it may be.. Im dual specced, and I went back to aff since the threat build up is slower, and after about two rotations, I was up to 95% threat, and that never happens. This was also on Ignis and I got locked out of spells. ( wasnt paying attention to the jets, had to break a golem )

It's a bit of both. If you're giving the tank a few seconds to build aggro, you will generally not pull. If everything crits of course you need to back off.

However, if you are pulling aggro in that case, it's likely a tank problem. Worth keeping in mind that a tank's goal is not necessarily to put massive amounts of threat on -your- current target, so do make sure you're thinking like a tank before you dps. In most instances, of course, the tank's goal is herding mobs first and foremost.

That said, there -are- warlock threat issues. See http://blue.mmo-champion.com/28/1761...anagement.html for a current discussion on it.

My guild runs with 2 pally tanks and our druid MT and in 10ms same druid tank and a DK tank and i still have issues on threat about 20 seconds after the fight starts i soulshatter and after that im usually good the only problem is after the shatter i still get to be about 3rd or even 2nd in threat and i stop my rotation from time to time.

it is the tanks since the only way i do not pull threat right at the start is when the druid pops beserk even then i get close

i think that blizz needs to increase the threat reduction of destructive reach from 10% to a possible 20% since even 10% its easy to pull threat.

threat as destro is definitely depending on the tank
    i remember last time on ignis with a PUG, we wiped like 5 times just because of me
    this group was so bad ... dps meter looked like this

me- 4600 dps ( warlock)
    dps1- 2k ( moonkin)
    dps2- 2k ( rogue)
    dps3-1.8k (dk)
    dps4-1.6k (ret pally)
    tank1-1.4k (prot pally)
    tank2-1.2k (prot warri)
    three healers

I'm not sure why we always wiped, it must have been because of dmg ( oom healers or something)

So I'm of course trying to step my dps up. The pull looks like this: 10 sec nothing. corruption, CoA. 5 sec waiting. then start regular rota. 1 min later I got 100% aggro used soulshatter and http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=1038. http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=50720 on me since beginning, and 1 min later im on top again X[
    Pally main tank had full epic some t7.5 and stuff, dont't know about specc but he definitely sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai
    If the tank sucks you will pull aggro. With my lock I do not even come close to pulling aggro over our warrior MT even if immo, conflag and cb all crit.

Then there are pugs where I get to 50% threat with just my immo critting. It is all about the tank.
    The tanks doesn't need to suck for a destro warlock to pull aggro. In our guild we have a singel warlock, destro specc for the matter. This guys threat is amazing, it takes only a few seconds for him to top my (warrior tank) threat while I'm tanking a boss. And for those people that think thats I'm a bad tank, I might add that I have no problem with other classes at all when it's about single target tanking.

But what we usualy do is to put a Vig on the lock, the paladins got macro to cast Hand of Salv on the lock and he will soulshatter when the threat is getting to big... *Blizzard, nerf the CD of soulshatter!*
    Retired WoW player - Active as a casual in Vanilla, raider in 3.0 and 3.1 and casual from 3.2 and forward!

yeah lock threat is wayyy too crazy.

Im on every tanks A$$ on threat.

But mainly its when i do Immo > Inc > Confl(crit) > CB(Crit)

I normally sit on the verge of pulling for as long as i can.

Since alot of fights in Uldar require some form of target swapping i try my hardest to not soulshatter b4 i change targets. If i dont need to shatter then i dont as ill be on a target which then gives the tank enough time to get ahead of me.

Tho i did a Maly Pug the other day with a very good and geared tank who was front loading ALOT of threat.

all four locks were sitting above him on threat after the 2nd Vortex(all destro) we all had to pop shatter and then everything was fine.

I find Aff also is quite threat heavy aswell. Tho its not front loaded threat as destro. Again as aff after about 2mins im on the tanks butt about to pull threat.

I sacrificed some crit from Backlash for less threat, not regretting it yet.

15+ Year Old Account

So you think that 1-2% less crit will impact threat much? Doubt it, since thats a piss in the sea.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Should have been more clearer then, since I stuck that point in Destructive Reach.

It used to be in vanilla and TBC, agro management was a key thing for a good dps class. Locks are the only class(destro specs) that have to still do that.

15+ Year Old Account

Blizzard has no immediate plans to decrease threat for warlocks. Maybe in 3.2, and definately by 3.3.

And as for your rotation, Cast Curse, Chaos Bolt, pause for threat, Immolate, Conflag, blow that mother up.

Check your tanks gear - Stamina = Threat only works for Paladins. Every other class can't afford to stack nothing but stamina. Look for a gem with STR on it and you know you have a decent tank.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Ai

Maybe because when a warrior tanks, you do 10% less threat and that threat you dont gain goes to your tank. Pally and Warrior tanks ftw. DK tanks ftl..

I did an Naxx25 pug just for some /giggles

There was this Pally tank wearing Uldar gear. On Saph i was about 100 threat behind him and he was going nuts.

Me and 1 other lock(from my guild who is pretty geared too) were the only 2 people about to pull threat throughout the fight.

I gave him about 5secs after he threw his sheild b4 i opened up and i was well impressed.

He ended up whispering me saying WTF dude how the hell are you soo close to pulling threat. My reply was WTF dude how did i not pull off you.

I was well impressed by his threat Gen, But then again as everyone is saying Pally tanks arnt really havning a problem with threat. its just everyone else lol.

15+ Year Old Account

Pally tanks don't have threat problems because:

1) Half their damage is holy and bypasses armor
    2) They can stack avoidance/mitigation gear and get threat from it (stam = threat for paladins, and paladins only)
    3) Everyone else stacks avoidance gear and thus has crappy threat gen
    4) They can get threat at ranged (Exo, Shield throw), while running away (Vengeance ticks do much more than Rend ever will), and without even targetting the mob (Consecrate, Hammer, Holy Shield)

The problem is this: Tanks are stacking avoidance, Blizzard has said "Hey this isn't helping", and noone has reacted.

When your tank has 45k HP and a bunch of cooldowns, all the tank has done is delayed their death by at most two swings. Tanks should not need 45k HP, just smarter healers.

R.I.P. YARG