[Holy PvE] Spec Advice

I am slowly starting to get more and more into my healing priest alt but feel that my spec is hindering my performance a bit. Currently I am using one that the Ensidia website suggested (cut me some slack...it was an alt) here:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ta...The+Maul+Squad

But I am thinking of swapping it out for this:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc....00000000000000

I definitely like Surge of Light and have only recently realised the utter futility of Improved Healing. The whole Renew vs Flash Heal discussion is confusing me at the minute, I feel far more comfortable using Flash Heal over Renew as i see a more immediate benefit. With this in mind I am willing to forgoe the three points in Mental Agility.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I think I will get rid of the Renew glyph for my CoH glyph.

Also, as a quick aside, judging from my Armoury sheet, how far off stat wise would you say I was from being a third healer in Ulduar? I realise not having a meta is deadly, doesn't seem to be a lot out there aside from the tier hat though

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: [Holy PvE] Spec Advice

I like to have Desperate prayer just incase, if you wanted to do that, drop 1 pt in divine providence.
    Otherwise your spec and glyph choices are fine, 1 extra target on coh glyph aint bad, but chances you'll need it with Pom jumping every second and atleast 1 coh should crit, thats a chance at a free FoL are limited.

You gear isn't quite ready for Ulduar, you lack a bit of regen and crit.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

You are correct to assume that GH, for now, has become quite dead for most raiding holy priests. Our niche for 3.1 is combating burst raid wide AoE damage. OFC, we can do other things well... but Tantrum, Flame Jets, Frozen Blows, Oblivion, et all is where we excel.

The whole FH vs. Renew discussion is still underway, with good points on each side. I have been trying to sub Renew for FH as of late, but I seem to keep going back to FH. From what I can see, some fights favor Renew as your "spot heal" spell, while FH is better in others. The upside to specing heavy into Renew is it allows you to keep up a very strong HoT (esp. with GoR) on the tanks to help out the tank healers. The downside is your FH hits for less, making your SoL procs less effective. I'm currently still out on the debate.

The "Ensidia" Spec is a pretty solid "all around" spec. It makes PoM, CoH, & Renew cheaper while still giving you 4/5 Emp. Healing to help beef up your FH & GH. The glyph selection plus the spec suggests that they have their priests spamming renew a lot, spot healing with FH, while making use of Serendipity for hasted GH & PoH bombs when needed.

What their spec sacrifices is maximizing the ability to counter massive AoE spikes. My guess is that Ensidia has such a good raiding team that they do not need to lean as heavily on a holy priest countering these effects, thus freeing them up to spec for more versatility.

Of course, most people do not belong to "Ensidia" type guilds. My suggestion would be to maximize your AoE healing abilities by specing into ToF. You can drop 3/3 Imp Healing and put 2/2 Healing Focus to pick up 3/3 ToF. If you plan on using FH over Renew for your spot heal, you can safely drop the 1 point in Imp PW:S and 3/3 MA. If you plan on never casting GH (I rarely cast it anymore), you can also drop the 5/5 Divine Fury for 5/5 Spell Warding for extra survivability (Most of the damage you will take will be spell based). For Glyphs, I would choose PoH, CoH, & GS.

The following spec is an Anti-GH, AoE heavy build with a focus on FH over renew: 14/57/0
    If your having mana issues, you can drop the glyph of CoH or PoH for FH.

Nothing to add here except one thing: Try to get Body and Soul into your spec as well. If noone in your guild ever makes movement errors (runs at the right time, avoids damage correctly) then you might consider skipping it; otherwise, it will be a huge benefit and sometimes even a life-saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockk
    Nothing to add here except one thing: Try to get Body and Soul into your spec as well. If noone in your guild ever makes movement errors (runs at the right time, avoids damage correctly) then you might consider skipping it; otherwise, it will be a huge benefit and sometimes even a life-saver.
    Yeah, I currently have BaS in my build. It is deceptively useful if used right. However, if you have a shield spam happy (as they should) Disco priest in the raid, its not worth the 2points.

Thanks for the great replies everyone

I actually went to Ulduar tonight and had a lot of fun. I used a slightly modified version of the 14/57 that Spiritvex posted and found it mighty. Great tip about Body and Soul.

I still feel more comfortable going down the Flash Heal route rather than Renew. Gonna put it down to a playstyle situation, especially considering I limit myself to 10 mans now.

So yeah, thanks a lot for all your help, it pointed me towards a very enjoyable evening