Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Reaching unhittable?

Ive been gathering tank gear for a while now, and finally replaced my last rare a few days ago (exept for trinket).
    A lot of people say you can easily reach the 102% needed just in Naxx10 gear. I only have 92% in my gear, and although ive socketed almost nothing but stamina I doubt I can push that number above 97% by resocketing.

Does anyone have an idea how this is doable? Do you have to get blockrating gear or?
    btw armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...gar&n=Bigfeets

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Reaching unhittable?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcas
    Ive been gathering tank gear for a while now, and finally replaced my last rare a few days ago (exept for trinket).
    A lot of people say you can easily reach the 102% needed just in Naxx10 gear. I only have 92% in my gear, and although ive socketed almost nothing but stamina I doubt I can push that number above 97% by resocketing.

Does anyone have an idea how this is doable? Do you have to get blockrating gear or?
    btw armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...gar&n=Bigfeets
    For 102% combat rating avoidance? If so don't forget to add 30% from this.

Change the Valor ring, get rid of the Parry gems (dodge>>>>>) and try to avoid parry and hit/exp on gear as much as possible, as they're all fairly useless
    Also replace that shoulder enchant, you really don't need to stack Stam that hard core if you're only in Naxx and probably starting Ulduar
    Also you're not quite defense capped, sort that

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xs
    Change the Valor ring, get rid of the Parry gems (dodge>>>>>) and try to avoid parry and hit/exp on gear as much as possible, as they're all fairly useless
    Also replace that shoulder enchant, you really don't need to stack Stam that hard core if you're only in Naxx and probably starting Ulduar
    Hes defense is fine, considering it is in fact the shoulder enchant that is keeping him from being crit'd by bosses (due to the Resilience).

But basically, yeah, this ^

Title of the thread seems misleading. A block is technically a mitigated hit (you still take damage). Looks like you're shooting for what used to be "Uncrushable" pre WotLK. To be truly "Unhittable", you'd have to have your dodge, parry, and miss chance take up 102.4%. Don't think that's even close to possible, especially since dodge and parry are subject to diminishing returns.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

It does take alot to reach block cap in naxx gear.

You should go for 4 piece valorus except for the helm.

That should put you at about 5% short, and with full raid buffs you always get a good 2percent avoidance.

But 92% with Holy Shield up does seem pretty short.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Heck
    Title of the thread seems misleading. A block is technically a mitigated hit (you still take damage). Looks like you're shooting for what used to be "Uncrushable" pre WotLK. To be truly "Unhittable", you'd have to have your dodge, parry, and miss chance take up 102.4%. Don't think that's even close to possible, especially since dodge and parry are subject to diminishing returns.
    Unhittable is what we call it now. You never get a direct hit from a boss, at worst you block. Hence, unhittable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    But 92% with Holy Shield up does seem pretty short.
    +5% miss, 96% if you actually do the maths from his armory :P

Hey man I'll try and give you the skinny on unhittability. First, it dosen't mean just dodge, parry, and miss. Unhittability includes guarenteeing a block. Block rating as a very high percentage compared to dodge and parry so as said before it is very easy to get unhittability in naxx 10 gear while wearing some blue crafted things. This was mandatory during pre wrath because of crushing blows. Currently, it still provides a nice reference for wbout where you should be to balance out all the things you ned like HP, threat, mitigation and avoidance. To be pure avoidance capped, that is 102.4% with just dodge miss and parry, is pretty much impossible with diminishing returns on miss dodge and parry. Here are the basic steps I use to gear that have worked since vanilla for me.

1)Get defense capped.

2)Get to 102.4% total unhittability (including block rating, and this will be easiest way to do it)

3)As your gear progresses, switch out that block rating for pure avoidance (dodge, parry, miss) while staying raid buffed at 102.4% or as close as possible.

4)Stack stam

This seems to provide the best overall combo of HP, avoidance, threat from holy shield and mitigation form my experience.

Google "avoidance macros" from or look it up on wowwiki, maintankadin or tankspot. They have ones that tell you your pure avoidance, unhittability, and how far above and below def cap you are.

Best of luck to you!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...thas&n=Skiball

That is my armory link if you wanna have a look and see what I mean in case my post wasn't cleat. Notice I still have two pieces, my helm and shield, that have block rating on them otherwise it is all miss dodge and pary by this point.

Hope this helps.

My post was more aimed at him in his lower standard of gear, obviously once you get your stuff balanced with ease you should go for more offensive stats or damage reduction via Expertise and back to that shoulder enchant

Also I was talking about the base 5% hit of the mob, the base miss of 540 def is 5.6%

Also 16 defense gems give more avoidance than 16 dodge. So its still a nice gem even after you hit 540 defense!

justa  aside note your not def capped for bosses

edit nvm saw the resil xD but yea im at 92% ish also and i still have a few rares....

Quote Originally Posted by arel00
    Unhittable is what we call it now. You never get a direct hit from a boss, at worst you block. Hence, unhittable.
    Just commenting that it's a poor choice of words. The term "mitigation cap" would be better. I'm guessing most people can't spell "mitigation" though... and "unhittable" isn't a word (but easy to spell).

Just commenting that it's a poor choice of words. The term "mitigation cap" would be better. I'm guessing most people can't spell "mitigation" though... and "unhittable" isn't a word (but easy to spell).
    so can i say it is threat cap? i am stacking avoidance mostly, and i like the threat from HS. If you block every hit that means a stable 1k threat with 2.5sec boss swing, even though this is not the real estimation still getting threat from HS is a good thing. nvm... when someone says "unhittable", they generally mean that with holy shield bonus, otherwise it is impossible to gear up for dodge/parry/miss every attack.

If you are still trying to get to unhittable, defense is second only to block rating. Use defense enchants/gems well over uncritable. Swap them out only when you exceed 102.4% (or if you decide you are willing to accept taking some hits).

Unhittable is a perfectly good description for the 102.4% number too. The combat table includes crit, crush, hit, block, dodge, miss and parry. Just by hitting 400 defense you become uncrushable by 83s so it really isn't talked about anymore. After that you knock crit off the table and become uncritable. After that you knock hit off the table and become unhittable.

Calling a block a hit is just as wrong as calling it avoidance. It is a block. It procs "on block" things (damage, mana regen, damage reduction).

You could try calling it block rating capped, but that is being needlessly verbose since you normally call the caps by what was limited rather than the thing doing the limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs
    Well, Hit is in no way 'useless'. Try dealing with a pull when your Avengers Shield misses.

Martini

It's an absolute correct choice of words for anyone who knows about tanking. It is refering to the hit tabke

Miss
    Parry
    Dodge
    Block
    Hit
    Crit

You become uncrittable at 540 Defense

and you become unhittable at 102.4% avoidance.

Just mincing words with you all...

But if you parry you take no damage...
    If you dodge you take no damage...

If you take a hit you take damage...
    If you block you take damage.

I've got nothing against anyone. But is the tanking community in general so illiterate that they can't come up with proper terminology? ]

/end troll

15+ Year Old Account

Just mincing words with you all...

But if you parry you take no damage...
    If you dodge you take no damage...

If you take a hit you take damage...
    If you block you take damage.

I've got nothing against anyone. But is the tanking community in general so illiterate that they can't come up with proper terminology? ]

/end troll
    It's not us being illiterate, it's you lacking knowledge.
    The difference is not about taking damage or not. That's the difference you use when splitting Block apart from the rest. It's about getting a Hit result on the combat table, or making such a result impossible.

At 102.4%, the Hit result cannot be returned by the combat roll. The possible outcomes are Miss, Parry, Dodge, Block.

WoW is a program, and combat is based on RNG rolling over precisely designed Case/Switch structures. Correct terminology refers to the game structure, not linguistics trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.