Boomkin gem question

OK so I hope to get my T8 pants tonight (only one left to get it, so I can't lose that roll). I am looking at all my gear options as it seems I have to swap multiple pieces of gear to put on my T8. So I have my gear options set, but now I have 2 gems slots available due to being over hit cap.

So here is my situation. With swapping out my gear my haste will be at 371 (caster form), SP up by 51, and my crit will go down by 25 (I am at 26% crit unbuffed in moonkin form).

Now I know haste is better than crit, and my head says do the +8 haste + 9 Spirit in the Blue slot and the +16 Haste in the yellow. But since my haste is 371 without it, I worry about losing the 25 crit. My gut wants me to put crit in to keep my crit about the same.

BTW I am a lunar eclipse rotation.

PS I can't find the intellect--> crit conversion. I think it is like .008% per point
    "Peace is a lie"

Re: Boomkin gem question

Your drastically hurting your DPS by doing a Lunar Eclipse Rotation with those stats. You need to be doing a Solar Rotation for sure. Your crit is really high and your haste is really low for a Lunar Eclipse Rotation. If you intend to do Lunar, drop about 4-5% crit and get another 170ish haste. Personally, I'd stick with what you got and do Solar.

As far as the gems. If you have the blue gem requirement for your meta covered, and you are hit capped, I would suggest just gemming +19 Spellpower instead of the haste gem or blue socket gem you have picked out. Socket bonus' are, 9/10, negligible.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus
    Socket bonus' are, 9/10, negligible.
    Mostly true, but there are some nice +7 / +9 spellpower blue sockets (for example) to be found in Ulduar. For those, not putting the purified opal in there is criminal. That being said, it means to both gem those with whatever is best and potentially regem the less worthwhile socket bonus you had blue in order to just keep the minimal amount of worthwhile blue gem (ceiling (2, number of nice socket bonus)).

My gems were needed to activate meta (and the bonus is +SP), and the yellow is the last bit of hit I need. That is why I was going that way. Last night in Ulduar I did try the solar (Damn priest pants dropped, not mine) and I saw about a 200 DPS increase. But damn I chewed mana like crazy.

So what I get from this is my Crit is high, so if I have the option between crit or haste, go haste all the way, like logic told me.
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer
    My gems were needed to activate meta (and the bonus is +SP), and the yellow is the last bit of hit I need. That is why I was going that way. Last night in Ulduar I did try the solar (Damn priest pants dropped, not mine) and I saw about a 200 DPS increase. But damn I chewed mana like crazy.

So what I get from this is my Crit is high, so if I have the option between crit or haste, go haste all the way, like logic told me.
    Get the thoughts of "crit or haste" out of your rhetoric, because it is a balance. Just as a quickfire answer: 400 haste is the Solar Eclipse "Soft Cap." You don't want to go too much higher then that or you will start clipping your cast strings thanks to GCD restrictions. Spellpower is triumph to all our statistics unless it is a significant increase. Stat weights are located <a href="http://www.themoonkinrepository.com/...1477">here</a>. Crit is of major necessity on both rotations, more so on Solar.

Get the thoughts of "crit or haste" out of your rhetoric, because it is a balance. Just as a quickfire answer: 400 haste is the Solar Eclipse "Soft Cap." You don't want to go too much higher then that or you will start clipping your cast strings thanks to GCD restrictions. Spellpower is triumph to all our statistics unless it is a significant increase. Stat weights are located <a href="http://www.themoonkinrepository.com/...1477">here</a>. Crit is of major necessity on both rotations, more so on Solar.
    I totally understand what you are saying, and have read EJ and other sites. What I have missed since 3.1 is trying to identify the balance. As an ex FFB mage I was addicted to crit, and needed +30%. Being that we are crit dependent, I am trying to find the ideal crit for both rotations. I prefer the lunar rotation personally, but have just moved to solar due to my low haste. Once I get my t8 pants I can swap gear out and get to 400. As I stack haste to get closer to 500, I will have to give up on crit. But How much? I have seen people at 600 Haste and 17% crit on the armory. That seemed low to me, as you only get a 60% proc chance
    "Peace is a lie"

Stay on a Solar Rotation til' you get into the upper 400's (about 480) on haste. As far as how much. I'm not going to endorse a 100% accurate number. But, I would say for Lunar you will want to get something like 550 haste and 20% crit (that is about what I am at).

Stay on a Solar Rotation til' you get into the upper 400's (about 480) on haste. As far as how much. I'm not going endorse are 100% accurate number. But, I would say for Lunar you will want to get something like 550 haste and 20% crit (that is about what I am at).
    Thanks
    "Peace is a lie"