Thread: mac book pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: mac book pro

Quote Originally Posted by Arcybaby
    lol dude what website are u looking at? a cached one from 5 years ago?
    OMG MACS CANT GET VIRUSES
    OMG, UNLESS YOU ARE RETARDED YOU SHOULD RARELY HAVE A VIRUS ON YOU COMPUTER.
    I've had my pc for 5 years. I've made one upgrade, still run wow with 60+fps everywhere with full graphics (round 20-30 in Dal). "Oh it crashes so much" ...Out of the past 5 years my xp has crashed once, IF that. And thats through rigorous amounts of WoW, CoD2, CoD4, CSS, TF2, Gary's Mod, etc... Apple overprices all their products to a rediculous amount. I have tried my friends Mac, but after hours of fooling around, was dissapointed. It was not as smooth as people claimed and such. He built his own pc and hasn't used his Mac since..
    If you can seriously say that a Mac is more bang for your buck you sir are completely anti-windows.
    edit: when I first built this I was 11. To all those people who say "ZOMG ITS TOO COMPLICATED", gtfo

Summary of all the points made in these amazing posts.

PC people: pcs are better
    Mac people: macs are better

Personally I like cake whereas some people like pie. The only difference is that I will eat their pie because I can.

Mac sucks, PC's are better.

Thats my opinion and nothing you can do will change it.

:

Had to register for this thread.

To the OP, wow runs fine on a MBP, its not as good as a PC of equivalent specs, and you will pay more for it, but you are paying for "the right" to use the OSX. If all you are going to be doing is playing wow on it, a PC is the way to go, since windows will run wow slightly better. However if you are looking for a Mac for other reasons, you will still be able to play wow on it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupport
    There's nothing really wrong with a Mac. I just see it as extra money you could save or spend the same amount of money on a PC laptop and get much more power. Honestly I see Mac as a fashion statement, PC's get you so much more power for the money.
    Try resell a PC and resell a Mac... so who got the most for the money now. Its because its more then natural to replace hardware in a PC yourself making it alot worse second hand value.
    Besides that id say a Mac is alot more USER friendly you dont need to sit for hours installing drivers etc, Mac has one premade Hardware setup and its included in the system and all parts are chosen to work in symbios apart from most PCs where its alot of different brands put together, hence why its also req alot more from the person who bought it to simply install drivers for each part. I enjoy being a user nowdays compared to the technician i was forced to be owning/building my PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny1313
    Summary of all the points made in these amazing posts.

PC people: pcs are better
    Mac people: macs are better

Personally I like cake whereas some people like pie. The only difference is that I will eat their pie because I can.
    lol cake sucks, pie is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by beandebo
    Had to register for this thread.

To the OP, wow runs fine on a MBP, its not as good as a PC of equivalent specs, and you will pay more for it, but you are paying for "the right" to use the OSX. If all you are going to be doing is playing wow on it, a PC is the way to go, since windows will run wow slightly better. However if you are looking for a Mac for other reasons, you will still be able to play wow on it just fine.
    '

windows will run wow slightly better? Doesnt that depend on what you match it with, how come only Mac users have built-in video recording as an option for wow if its running better on Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble
    lol cake sucks, pie is so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny1313
    The only difference is that I will eat their pie because I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator
    '

windows will run wow slightly better? Doesnt that depend on what you match it with, how come only Mac users have built-in video recording as an option for wow if its running better on Windows?
    Because the impenetrability of UNIX code choked the life out of the Mac freeware community, meaning we had no equivalent software.
    In mediocre MMOs, people complain about some classes.
    In good MMOS, no one complains about any classes.
    In the best MMOS, people complain about every class.

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator
    '

As far as FPS and graphical features go(specifically the new shadows), it will run slightly better. Yes mac has built in video recording, that is something you can consider.

EDIT: I will also add that i play on a mac, and I'm just stating facts, if that gets the mac fanboys off my back.

i have been a pc user since i can remember. i have not used an apple since i was in 6th grade (1986) and that was an apple lle. but i have been doing some reading lately as i am going to purchase another computer soon. i'm not looking for a laptop, but a desktop machine. i did find several reviews from independant companies and most of them all have said the same thing. Mac's are faster, and comparably priced.

check out http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...s/4258725.html

i thought it was funny that they even showed where a mac running windows was faster than the pc's running windows. and you cant compare going to apple's web site to newegg for a price comparision. being fair would be go to a company like dell or alienware.

i did find it disheartening that the apples did not support SLI thou. with the new destops you can run 4 video cards, but the OS will not support them being SLI, and the only reason to do that with a mac is if you plan on having 4 different monitors. still, i am doing more research before deciding what to buy.

also, before stating that the review does not show stats for the computers playing games, take this into consideration. the stress test that they ran was eight programs all running at thesame time. not just a program being in the background, but the programs actually using the ram and processor to actively run.

See this is what I don't get I make a thread about waffles and it gets closed in 5 mins someone starts a flame war between macs and pcs (a topic that can spark heated debates comparable only to religious flame wars) and its allowed to go on for close to 3 pages. I guess if you don't have a bunch of people in your thread calling each other idiots its not worthy of these forums.

TechSupport

Sadly they used two crappy desktops and two sub par laptops to compare in that review. If they truly wanted to see which had more power they could have set up a top of the line Mac desktop and laptop and built a PC to match it.

To answer OPs question, yes, MBP can run WoW on ultra setting no problem. I do most of my personal computing on my MBP, however, I am also a PC enthusiast.

My custom made (by me) PC runs Vista with an Intel Core i7-975 CPU, Asus PT6 MoBo, 3x Nvidia GTX 285 (1GB) running tri-sli GPUs, 6GB DDR3 Corsair RAM, 64GB Ritek SSHD, Thermaltake ToughPower 1,200W PSU, all liquid cooled. There isn't a game I can't run on max, and it's pretty future-proof atm (although I heard Intel is gonna release a 6-core CPU that has me rather interested).

IMO, if all you want to do is play WoW, don't get a MBP, your better off saving money and getting a pc/mb. If your dead set on apple, try just the normal macbook--it will run WoW on medium-high settings. The MBP has a lot of nice features for design and has hardware that out-classes WoW. Seriously people, stop making WoW sound like it requires an uber hardcore rig--it absolutely does not!

I have a Macbook pro and love it 100%, but not because it's an "awesome WoW machine". WoW runs fine on it, but it's highlights are in other departments.... photo/video/graphic design work is what I use it for.

To sum it up: buy a Macbook Pro if you need it to do other work. If you're just buying a WoW machine, go PC.

I have a top of the line PC i built, dual geforce 260's, etc etc... and also have Macbook Pro I played on for about a year. The mac runs wow just fine but dont expect to run high settings at all. It is nice for when I have to go stay at my parents or something but other than that, it is a dedicated school computer. Thats about it.
    http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg198/asbyo/Punkinz.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupport
    No, Vista does not suck if you know what you are doing. You can turn off a lot of the bloat. I've been using Vista for about a year now and it is perfectly stable and no speed loss over XP.
    IMO windows XP is the only windows OS that works and saying that Vista is stable I presume you may work for a PC company or something or you are just a Pc fanatic rofl well,, its your money

getting back to the topic..
    I play wow in a MacBoo Pro 2.16 and it works great. Im sure you will have better performace with some more powerful machine but if u can pay 2k for a laptop and wanna enjoy all the cool apple stuffs. you are welcome
    and yes.. I have a Pc as well that I use to work

TechSupport

Quote Originally Posted by superfla
    IMO windows XP is the only windows OS that works and saying that Vista is stable I presume you may work for a PC company or something or you are just a Pc fanatic rofl well,, its your money
    Hm nope, I don't work for a PC company. It is my own personal experience in saying Vista is stable, because it has been for me. You could call me a "PC Fanatic" if you mean PC's in general. I've used many Linux distros, Mac and Windows throughout my life.

Macs are like the Cadillac's of computers where as some of you posters out there are running Pinto's with a big block. ;D If you don't get that joke, then maybe you should kiss Bill Gate's ass some more.

I saw some posts about people complaing about the HDD in the Mac Book Pro only being 5400 RPM. Well if you knew anything about Macs and have actually purchased one from their website, you have an easy option to upgrade to either a 500GB, 10,000 RPM HDD or even a 256GB Solid State for more performance.

Those that are posting about building some custom high-end gaming tower should learn to read. The original poster wasn't asking about getting a MacPro tower or an iMac, he was asking about getting a laptop. So there is no reason to post about your uber PC gaming tower you built and who cares if it was maybe cheaper.

So to respond now to the original poster about getting a MacBook Pro. I think it is a great investment. Also so would any great high-end PC laptop. Both platforms will run WoW just fine. The MacBook Pro has a higher re-sale value over any PC though. So if you decide to get one, then maybe a year or two you decide to sell it, you'll still get hundreds of dollars more than an equally quality PC laptop.

If you do decide to purchase the MacBook Pro and play WoW on it, I would like to suggest you get some things to go along with it.

1. Get a laptop cooler. There's tons of nice ones out there that work great. This will help keep it running cooler.
    2. There is a free program you can download called smcFanControl (iirc). This program will allow you to customize the RPMs of the internal cooling fans. My laptop used to run around 130 degrees on average playing WoW. This program alone brought the temp down to around 104-111 degrees and down to around 86-92 degrees when used with the laptop cooler. I think the default minimal RPM was like 960 RPMs so I only turned it up to around 1300-1350 RPMs. Just remember that you can customize these setting depending on what you are doing. You don't want you fans going all the time when it's on idle.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

WoW will run great on a Macbook Pro, and will give good framerates on a normal Macbook, even the bottom of the line models.

If your dream, however, is to play WoW on your lap while lounging on your couch, definitely invest in a laptop cooler ... or some pillows. Mac portables run HOT.

If you look closely, you'll see that Apple doesn't actually sell any 'laptops'. They sell 'notebooks' Why? Because 'laptop' implies that you can operate it comfortably in your lap without toasting the tops of your thighs. This is not the case with Macbooks or Macbook Pros.

Don't get me wrong - it's not unbearable pain or anything. But WoW will push your machine to it's hottest, and if you're playing for long periods of time, it can get uncomfortable.