Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account

Threath problems!

Hey there guys and gals. I have a question about warrior tanking, i just mentioned at General Vezax yesterday i had an hard time holding the threat. My TPS was really low and i do everything properly.. The same thing is with almost every boss where ppl get an damaged increase, im having a hard time getting my TPS up fast and therfore my guildmates need to slack a bit wich is no good.
    So basicly to my question, how do i as a warrior build faster threath?
    And dont come here and said that i have eBayed my char or someting like that, just new to tanking!

Here is my armory link, i mean my gear ain't really that bad.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&n=Ikyr%C3%B3s

I would really like to know what to do so i can improve my roll as MT.

Thanks

Re: Threath problems!

to put it blunt... regem, your all stam isnt helping your threat in any way shape or form, you have more HP but at the cost of damage -> rage -> threat

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jdubya
    to put it blunt... regem, your all stam isnt helping your threat in any way shape or form, you have more HP but at the cost of damage -> rage -> threat
    Wich gems should i go for instead of stam?

You are under hit AND expertise cap. What does that tell you about gem choices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucidor
    I don't know if it's envy, as much as it is most WoW players following this line of thought:

-Anyone who plays less than you is a casual scrub getting free welfare epics.
    -Anyone who plays more than you is an unemployed virgin who needs to get a life, a job, and/or go outside.

Could be both, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikyros
    Wich gems should i go for instead of stam?
    IMO, I run with:

Yellow = 8 hit / 8 expertise
    Blue = 24 Stam
    Red = 8 expertise / 12 stamina
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    Send that bitch a smiley face...Bitches loooove smilie faces.

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kysimir
    IMO, I run with:

Yellow = 8 hit / 8 expertise
    Blue = 24 Stam
    Red = 8 expertise / 12 stamina
    Ok thanks, i will try that.

You're not hit capped nor expertise capped. If you're having hard time with TPS, try 15/5/51.

Make sure your rogues / hunts aren't being lazy, and talk to your locks/mages to know when they are using soulshatter/invisibility. They should use it when they are at 115% / 125% of your threat.

PS: and change your spec (15 points in fury will let give you a very small increased survivability, granted, but at the cost of a huge loss in tps).

PPS: gag order is good, really

Go with this spec:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warr...0&version=9947

Make sure that you put Vigilance on a mage, as generally they do a load of threat on Vezax. You should also be using Expertise food considering how your currently below the softcap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikyros
    Hey there guys and gals. I have a question about warrior tanking, i just mentioned at General Vezax yesterday i had an hard time holding the threat. My TPS was really low and i do everything properly.. The same thing is with almost every boss where ppl get an damaged increase, im having a hard time getting my TPS up fast and therfore my guildmates need to slack a bit wich is no good.
    So basicly to my question, how do i as a warrior build faster threath?
    And dont come here and said that i have eBayed my char or someting like that, just new to tanking!

Here is my armory link, i mean my gear ain't really that bad.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&n=Ikyr%C3%B3s

I would really like to know what to do so i can improve my roll as MT.

Thanks
    I would suggest, first and foremost, making sure your keeping the correct rotation. Make sure that your constantly spamming HS the entire time and hit SS when either Revenge or Concussion blow is not up. Keep in mind that Revenge is one of your best rage per threat abilities, and be watching for it constantly.

As far as your spec goes, I woud say you can tweak your avoidance spec to give yourself better threat, like going into imp HS by moving some points.
    Megademon [110] Warlock - Area 52 (US)
    Tailoring/Enchanting

I'm going to assume your using the right threat rotations and keeping HS up since you say you "do everything properly". I'll comment on Vezax, since you mention him specifically in your post.

Do not regem, unless you plan on trying to raise your stam more. Your gear isn't bad, but try to hit def cap/expertise cap through gear choice and not by enchanting/gemming for it. Personally, I have stam enchant on my chest/shield and pvp enchant on my shoulders because Vezax hits like a truck and stam is king on that fight. If you're gemming/enchanting to hit expertise and def cap, then the gear you're wearing is wasting stat itemization on something less valuable (see block rating below). In Naxx, you could afford to gem for def, expertise, hit, etc... in Ulduar, stam is king.

Is it that your TPS is low? Or is it that DPS TPS is high?

Vezax is a tough threat fight to begin with and you need as much stam as possible for it. If it's the only fight you're really having trouble with, then you're probably not doing anything wrong. DPS needs to REALLY watch their threat when standing in shadow pools, ESPECIALLY in the beginning of the fight. With a 100% magic and casting speed buff, they can easily out threat you.

To start the fight, pop Recklessness and quickly go defensive stance to charge in. Hit Shield Slam to get your glyph buff, then hit Shield Block right before your NEXT Shield Slam to maximize it's damage and threat. Your first few hits will all crit from Recklessness and help with initial burst agro. Make sure your casters don't abuse shadow pools until you have a good hold on him. Have someone else watching for Searing Flames interrupts and you just be their backup. That way you can concentrate more on TPS, and not worry about interrupts. (and that person is also taking care of it when you're kiting)

As far as spec goes, you should consider a 15/5/51 or 15/3/53 for more threat (I use 15/3/53, personally. 2min SW's help on that fight too). Impale and Deep Wounds will help a lot. Personally, Block rating is a terrible stat and you have a couple items that have a lot of it, on top of being 4/5 and 5/5 Shield Specialization on your specs. Block value on the other hand is awesome and Glyph of Blocking should be on both your specs, not just one.

This is the spec I tank him with, with Blocking and Shield Wall glyphs (my 3rd glyph doesn't really apply to this fight, but if you want a TPS one, I'd go with Revenge for free Heroic Strikes. Don't use Devastate since after 5 sunders, it does nothing for your threat):
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12521330113321

Hope something (anything) in my ramblings helps and good luck with the fight.

-jak

On Vezax mages can overaggro u easily=(
    For threat u should spec 15-5-51, and take Vigliance glyph. U should be fine with that.

P.S Vezax isnt ZOmg heal tank encounter... its impotant but less than other factors

Don't use Devastate since after 5 sunders, it does nothing for your threat)

??? ??? ??? ???

Here is tanking rotation :
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...-rotation.html

isnt Deep wound better than 3% crit??

Quote Originally Posted by Grob
    Don't use Devastate since after 5 sunders, it does nothing for your threat)
    Sorry, let me clarify. If you look at the entire paragraph, I had just finished talking about glyphs and "don't use Devastate" was about the Devastate glyph that he's CURRENTLY using, not the ability. The Devastate GLYPH does nothing for your threat after 5 sunders. Thank you for helping me clarify.

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jakalas
    I'm going to assume your using the right threat rotations and keeping HS up since you say you "do everything properly". I'll comment on Vezax, since you mention him specifically in your post.

Do not regem, unless you plan on trying to raise your stam more. Your gear isn't bad, but try to hit def cap/expertise cap through gear choice and not by enchanting/gemming for it. Personally, I have stam enchant on my chest/shield and pvp enchant on my shoulders because Vezax hits like a truck and stam is king on that fight. If you're gemming/enchanting to hit expertise and def cap, then the gear you're wearing is wasting stat itemization on something less valuable (see block rating below). In Naxx, you could afford to gem for def, expertise, hit, etc... in Ulduar, stam is king.

Is it that your TPS is low? Or is it that DPS TPS is high?

Vezax is a tough threat fight to begin with and you need as much stam as possible for it. If it's the only fight you're really having trouble with, then you're probably not doing anything wrong. DPS needs to REALLY watch their threat when standing in shadow pools, ESPECIALLY in the beginning of the fight. With a 100% magic and casting speed buff, they can easily out threat you.

To start the fight, pop Recklessness and quickly go defensive stance to charge in. Hit Shield Slam to get your glyph buff, then hit Shield Block right before your NEXT Shield Slam to maximize it's damage and threat. Your first few hits will all crit from Recklessness and help with initial burst agro. Make sure your casters don't abuse shadow pools until you have a good hold on him. Have someone else watching for Searing Flames interrupts and you just be their backup. That way you can concentrate more on TPS, and not worry about interrupts. (and that person is also taking care of it when you're kiting)

As far as spec goes, you should consider a 15/5/51 or 15/3/53 for more threat (I use 15/3/53, personally. 2min SW's help on that fight too). Impale and Deep Wounds will help a lot. Personally, Block rating is a terrible stat and you have a couple items that have a lot of it, on top of being 4/5 and 5/5 Shield Specialization on your specs. Block value on the other hand is awesome and Glyph of Blocking should be on both your specs, not just one.

This is the spec I tank him with, with Blocking and Shield Wall glyphs (my 3rd glyph doesn't really apply to this fight, but if you want a TPS one, I'd go with Revenge for free Heroic Strikes. Don't use Devastate since after 5 sunders, it does nothing for your threat):
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12521330113321

Hope something (anything) in my ramblings helps and good luck with the fight.

-jak
    Thanks alot this really helped, and of course i yelled at our mages abit but with a few trys we got the hang of it. So the aggro problem is like blown aways.. We havn't downed him yet but we will in the next few days.

Deleted

Sorry, let me clarify. If you look at the entire paragraph, I had just finished talking about glyphs and "don't use Devastate" was about the Devastate glyph that he's CURRENTLY using, not the ability. The Devastate GLYPH does nothing for your threat after 5 sunders. Thank you for helping me clarify.
    Actually, I'm gonna be abit devious and mention that bluntness isn't groovy. Devastate glyph has some bright moments on certain encounters where DPS is a real pain in the ass, or there's alot of sunders fading/needing reapplying.

But yes, for general raiding it's far from ideal, I'd personally go with heroic strike glyph, shieldwall, and blocking for progression trough Ulduar.

Keep last stand, taunt glyph aswell as the glyph(s) you're changing in bags to swap depending on encounter.

Sounds like you got a lisp problem too...

first of all, THREAT

second of all - if you cant manage a high tps rotation as a standard 5/8/5x spec or 15/5/51 spec, then just go 1 button smash mode 12k tps spec

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAMf0...trx0zid:obdmMc

make a macro

/cast Revenge
    /cast Heroic Strike

sunder to 5, slam that macro and ss when its off cd.

if you find that survivability is an issue, tell your raid to help you cycle defensive CDs to get you through burst.

otherwise, you just need to stop being a noob tank and do moar TPS. there is such thing as you doing it wrong btw, not your spec or moves.

edit : you can move points from imp tclap to blocking, but i dont. also the blocking major can be swapped for your needs as well (shield wall maybe, but then you'd have to retalent for mitigation, so i'd say leave it)

-80 Tauren Warrior-80 Undead Priest--80 Tauren Shaman-70 Tauren Druid-67 Human Deathknight

After reading this thread, I take back what I said about Glyph of Devastate doing nothing for your threat.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...-check-me.html