Thread: Tanking Addons

Tanking Addons

Hiya - Im wanting to compile a list of all the must have tank addons that just provide that bit of extra help for tanks.

So if you could all please comment on addons you use and what they do and ill put them in main topic and we can try and get this stickied. I will show the layout with some addons id like to add to the list.

Omen Threat Meter

Watches and displays the threat of you and others on the current mob. Very useful for making sure you are where you need to be in terms of aggro.

DeadlyBossMod

Not tank specific but i find it especially helpful when using my tank. This addons gives you warnings and timers etc when raiding / doing 5mans about bosses key abilites.

Recount

Not necessarily tank only but i keep it on my tank to keep check on whose healing who and when (also if you know dps is slacking you can spur them on as group leader).

Please comment

My Awesome Sig Made By Shyama - Thank You!

Re: Tanking Addons

DBM is probably the only one that is essential, as it tells you when to pop CD's etc for certain moves, stuff which could wipe a raid if you're not paying attention.

Omen is nice yet, to make sure no DPS are sneaking up on the Threat, but tbh they shouldn't be really. Omen is probably more useful for the DPS to use to make sure they're not getting close.

Recount again isn't essential, and is more for a raid leader to see who's slacking.

I do have all of the above when I am tanking, but the only one I couldn't do without would be DBM.

I am Priest - Play Free Online Games

Personally I couldn't have AoE-tanked without using the nameplates(v-button), makes it easy to see which ones you have aggro on, which ones you are loosing aggro on and which ones you dont have aggro on.
    But seeing as I find the default ones fugly I love Aloft, which is an addon that lets you change the nameplates anyway you want.

Here's mine:

And another thing I use is a HuD(Heads-Up-Display) which shows yours and targets Health/power and castbars etc. around your character.
    Personally use IceHuD, but there are loads to choose from.

Here's mine:

(Damned hackers in WG!)

Both are cosmetic, but that's what costumizable UIs are for

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

For nameplates, i use an addon called "Combat Names", which automatically toggles on enemy/neutral nameplates when I go into combat, and turns them off when combat ends.

Deadly Boss Mods/BigWigs (or some other boss addon, there's some out there) are really the only necessaries.

I don't watch Omen when I'm actually in combat, most of the time, unless I'm running as a shadow priest. On my prot pally, well, threat really isn't an issue - prot Paladins put out absurd amounts of threat (over 7K tps, barely geared enough for tanking Naxx10 - more now, since I have better gear).

Recount is not something a tank should actually be worried about - ever.

My biggest thing is OmniCC - an on-button cooldown timer display. Makes my prot pally's rotation so much easier to keep up - especially after something happens and screws my rotation to hell and back.

TankAlert - Its the mod that advertises to the raid when your taunt is resisted or you pop shield wall / last stand
    Tankpoints - improves the Defense tab in your character panel with some nifty new information

As for Mt target lists I still prefer ct_raid but ora2 is more advanced

I don't use any addon for tanking.
    I used to have omen as DPS but as a tank I turned it off because I had no issues while tanking and it frees space on screen
    DBM is good for any player even as DPS or healer.
    For recount... well, I don't care who heals who and when. People have to know what to do and when they have to do. As long as my guild is made with RL friends only, I don't care too much wiping. (It's a game for us, not a competition, our goal is to have fun, not slacking in dala to show the stuff)
    But as you said, it is a good tool to analyse what did happen and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfoot
    Omen is nice yet, to make sure no DPS are sneaking up on the Threat, but tbh they shouldn't be really. Omen is probably more useful for the DPS to use to make sure they're not getting close.
    well i disagree as a destro warlock i tend to gain aggro quite fast, pending on crits faster then the tank, so i say use Omen because it could tell you who to put vigilance on who to make a salv macro for or who to say SOULSHATTER to.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheuse22
    well i disagree as a destro warlock i tend to gain aggro quite fast, pending on crits faster then the tank, so i say use Omen because it could tell you who to put vigilance on who to make a salv macro for or who to say SOULSHATTER to.
    Not to say anything about your tanks but they really shouldn't be having problems holding aggro off you. They should be able to build up enough threat in the first few seconds to hold you off.

Unless of course you just nuke straight away, which probably isn't a good idea...

I am Priest - Play Free Online Games