Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadow Priest, help needed

Hi guys.
    I have a shadow priest and after raiding today with my new guild I found my DPS to be lacking a bit.
    On the Thorim 25 fight I ended up with 3k DPS only.
    On Hodir hard mode I got 5k DPS (6.4K on my best try) while most ppl got 8K and the mages and locks got like 10k DPS or more (on that fight I actually might have slacked off on a few buffs during combat).
    WWS of the Thorim fight: http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/5237248

My latency is around 300ms but that's pretty normal for South America.

I have a ATI RADEON HD4770 as my video card and play with mininum video effects and my FPS is in the 30's.

Computer: Athlon X2 5600+, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP (I have Windows 7 installed on another HD but dont play wow on that cause the only thing that is higher is my FPS on W7, the latency is worse).

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hi&n=Amarantis
    Many ppl that raid with me have almost complete t8 gear, does that make that much of a difference ?

I follow the priority MB>VT>MF (I didnt take SWP into account cause its up pretty much all the time, as is DP).
    Most of the time I let Mind Flay tick to the end. Is that advisible ? Or Should I just cast MB when its off CD even in the middle of a MF ?

Can u guys give me some pointers ? It would be extremely appreciated.

Oh and are there any sites out there to gather info on hard modes and boss tactics that u guys like ? I know of Bosskillers and TankSpot.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Shadow Priest, help needed

I dont know about thorim coz i always mind control there.

On Hodir[HM] 5k DPS seems like u never got the Storm power Buff. If u didnt get that buff so ur DPS is OK. Gear doesnt look that bad but there are much improvements (4pc t8 will help dpsing ) With 2pc Boni DP is on the prio list before vT.

On Hodir try to stand nead to a fire and the "Light" for maximing DPS but other classes will always before you if they get the same amount of buffs

It's hard to play a optimal DoT class with 300ms. You should work on getting that down, it's unacceptable high.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    It's hard to play a optimal DoT class with 300ms. You should work on getting that down, it's unacceptable high.
    I know its difficult but 90% of the ppl I play with here have that kind of latency, Im from South America, its deosnt get much better than that... 230ms sometimes, not much.

You can't expect top dollar dps outputs with a rotation that's very fragile to lag.

But there should still be ways to get a better latency, since even ISDN like connections which got outdated around 8 years ago here, would provide you with a ~150-200ms latency. Anything over 200 means the ISP is not doing their job right, and cheating the customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Anything over 200 means the ISP is not doing their job right, and cheating the customers.
    I don't know about south america, but in Spain we've got those or worst latencies for "only" ~50 €/month... :-X

The best i can get my Australian connection to is 200ms... and even then its usually closer to 300ms... nothing to be done about it unless Blizzard start hosting the oceanic servers in oceania.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

i dont know if its your ms, but 5k dps is quite low on hodir harmode, i'm about the same gearlvl and i do around 7k averge, are you standing in moonlights at all?

btw, you should not priotise mindblast before vampiric touch, and your dmg on thorium depends alot on whether you are in arena or gauntlet

I did almost 7k on our last 10man kill of Hodir HM. So yeah, 5k in 25man is *very* low.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandas
    i dont know if its your ms, but 5k dps is quite low on hodir harmode, i'm about the same gearlvl and i do around 7k averge, are you standing in moonlights at all?

btw, you should not priotise mindblast before vampiric touch, and your dmg on thorium depends alot on whether you are in arena or gauntlet
    Yeah, no moonlight for me during that fight.
    And on Thorim fight I stood in the arena part.

Should'nt I prioritize MB over VT ? The Shadow DPS post here said to do just that. I'm confused now.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

i havent read that post, but vt do alot more dmg than mindblast

15+ Year Old Account

Even without the stormcloud buff 5k dps is low, cause of the toasty fire debuff on hodir.
    Our shadow priest reach 10-12k there
    German player, sorry for bad grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Florentzia
    Even without the stormcloud buff 5k dps is low, cause of the toasty fire debuff on hodir.
    Our shadow priest reach 10-12k there
    If they don't get Stormcloud, they probably don't get Tasty Fire on Hodir either

What spell should I use Inner Focus for? My friend who also play Spriest told me to use it on VT, but I doubt it would increase crit chance throughout the duration of that VT.
    I dont care about mana costs reduction, but I want to get the most out of the 25% increased crit chance. What spell would benefit the most from IF?
    and for the guys who didnt read the latest hmm about 5? retpaladin changes, they arent fotm anymore since long, fotm right now is warlock and priest obviously...

Mind Flay.

You shouldn't have Inner Focus in a Shadow PvE build !

Why not?

It don't fit in. You'll have to drop other talents to get it, other talents that's far superior.

What I drop for IF is 1 pt. in meditation. Mana isn´t my biggest concern atm so for me it works out just fine.

Oh and thanks alot for the answer. I´ll try MF out with IF!
    and for the guys who didnt read the latest hmm about 5? retpaladin changes, they arent fotm anymore since long, fotm right now is warlock and priest obviously...

Um, interesting. I use it every time the CD is up and pop a MB.

Not really sure where I'd put that point. Veiled Shadows, meh. Shadow Affinity, meh.