Dispel issues, Assembly of Iron

My guild was doing hard mode Assembly of Iron this evening, and the holy paladin that normally dispels the fusion punch debuff was out for the night, so I went disc to fill his place (along with the dispel duty). Every couple attempts, I was completely unable to dispel the debuff off the tank. I wish I had a combat log screenshot, but the log said something like.... "(My) dispel magic failed to dispel (tank)". So I know I'm not accidentally casting on the wrong target, and I know the spell is being cast, but the debuff is not being taken off.

This only occured after Molgeim died (we kill him first), dispels before then worked fine. We ended up having another paladin do the dispels to avoid this happening, but I'd like to know if any other priests have had this happen, or what I could be doing to cause it.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Dispel issues, Assembly of Iron

i`m a Priest, never had any issue with dispelling here. But try cleaining/updating ur addons.

i use Decursive for dispelling.

Hey,

With my guild we had the duty completely off the healer since I as a retri pala can do the job just as good, and it takes a huge load off the healer.

And I can defiantly confirm that I've seen it say "Failed to dispel". We've had 1-2 wipes cause of that.

Best strategy I found was to have 2 people on the job "just in case". If you have any retri palas in the raid with you (and you probably should), organize it so that you are both doing the dispel. This way if one fails the other will defiantly succeed.

I'm not sure if this is a hit rating issue (as a retri pala you only need 8%, so spells arent hit capped) or simply spell resistance on the spell itself, but whatever the cause doing double duty on that spell can save the day.

Its mostly just luck and I never saw it 2 tries in a row, but if you dont have the option of a safety net, I suggest just spamming it before the boss casts and after.

But I can confirm that I've seen it.

Appreciate your post Jabbapal. It seems to me like there could be some weird thing going on with the dispel mechanics on that fight if you've had a similar problem to mine, thanks for the input.

How about the instant dispell.

Affliction lock with felhunter:
    /tar steelbreak
    /assist
    /cast devour magic

The felhunter never goes on GCD until theres somethign to dispell and hes not attacking, so just spam that while punch is being cast. Punch thus is dispelled the sec its put on the tank. It lets the healers heal, the pally tank build threat, cuts my dps a bit but nobody else needs to be on that duty.

Never had an issue since I have been put on that duty, now if the damn tank could get out of runes of power!

Quote Originally Posted by cheessy
    How about the instant dispell.

Affliction lock with felhunter:
    /tar steelbreak
    /assist
    /cast devour magic

The felhunter never goes on GCD until theres somethign to dispell and hes not attacking, so just spam that while punch is being cast. Punch thus is dispelled the sec its put on the tank. It lets the healers heal, the pally tank build threat, cuts my dps a bit but nobody else needs to be on that duty.

Never had an issue since I have been put on that duty, now if the damn tank could get out of rune of powers!
    We do have a lock who is very good with felhunter dispels, but the only fight he ever goes affliction for is yogg. He normally is our top dps when he's destro, so I don't see him going affliction just for dispels. Not a bad idea though if you already have an affliction lock in the raid.

I'm our deep demon spec lock(minus that, kologarn since the feltard cant figure out what to do on him, and yogg). But keeps us from wiping from GCD dispell problems on reg or hardmode IC(especially hard mode). :-\

Having your dispeller with a Draenei is helpful, but yes, you can get the dispell resisted. RNG ftl!

I've had it resisted as well, and I also have to agree with trying to keep the duty off of the healer as much as possible. Having a DPSer handle it, is best, especially because they'll generally be hit-capped, but even a Prot Pally handling it is better.

For hardmode you can't have your dps dispelling, so just get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Of course you can. Just learn to dps, that's it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

No you can't the dps requirement is insane and any dps using GCDs on anything other than a damage spell is going to result in a wipe due to the soft enrage mechanic.

Please tell my raid leader so I can just full time dps and ignore SB cast bar from now on :x

No you can't the dps requirement is insane and any dps using GCDs on anything other than a damage spell is going to result in a wipe due to the soft enrage mechanic.
    Yes, you can. The dps requirement is high, but not that close to insane, we do it even with normal strat (aka kill Runemaster first, so no Rune of Power up in SB phase). Compare to losing few dps, wiping because of a resisted (failed?) dispel is much worse (actually with my guild, it's healers can't waste gcd in SB phase, but maybe it's just us =p).

Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

We often use a ret paladin too, but do it the other times. I don't think it's hard for a healer, the fusion punch is a long cast and during that cast he doesn't deal dmg to the tank.
    And I never had to stack +hit for dispelling debuffs of friendly targets, or am I missing why you want a draenei dispelling?

For the +hit: I'm not very sure about this, but when we were using a healer to dispel, there were times we got few random wipes because of failed dispels (don't know if it's because of the +hit or not). After leaving it to DPS with hit, everything about dispelling have been going well.

So it could be just a coincidence and our SPs are lucky, but it could be that you need hit to dispel a boss's spell. Not that I really care until we wipe again b/c of dispel =p
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Could always have a prot paladin dispelling himself/Other tank. They wont be hit capped, i can nearly guarentee you that, but the chance will be far less to happen
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Quote Originally Posted by Darrkh
    Could always have a prot paladin dispelling himself/Other tank. They wont be hit capped, i can nearly guarentee you that, but the chance will be far less to happen
    When we do the assembly of Iron we always have a pally tanking the big guy and doing all the dispels himself and we don't have much issues.

Get a shadow priest or Ret paladin to dispel it.

Both specs are pretty terrible for DPS so missing 1 MF or their CS being 1 second late is hardly an issue.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    lol so on hard mode you rather have healers dispelling who are already under enough strain?

And I fail to see why everyone makes such a problem out of this entire thing we always just have a pala tank on steelbreaker who dispels herself, with the healers backing up in case it fails.