Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: World first all shaman 10man os

Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    I see 434 defense. >.>
    Every level 80 character has 400 defense by base. I looked up how much defense he got from gear, which was 34 (for a total of 434, yes).

Quote Originally Posted by Wyked
    They are changing resilience yet again. This will not work come 3.2 if they implement how they want to.

~dy
    Not quite.

As far as the preliminary Patchnotes go, only the added reduction of all dmg will be restricted to PvP-damage. There's no indication that the crit-reduction resilience provides will cease to work in PvE.

To the OP: Very well done, I've been waiting for some Shaman do do it for a long time. "All Shaman" OS is a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainz
    I seem to remember Shamans and Moonkin's tanking Malch and other raids in Burning Crusade, no?
    Yes, but to be fair, Prince was never hard, in and of himself, if the healers kept the tank topped off. I used to tank heroics in my pvp gear in BC. It was kind of fun.

Grats to the OP for pulling this off and recording it.

would it be possible to get a mention on the front page of this acheivment since we did it before any all druid or all pally raid? lol
    I'm pretty sure it classifies as an extreme event

Quote Originally Posted by sharicasmi
    would it be possible to get a mention on the front page of this acheivment since we did it before any all druid or all pally raid? lol
    I'm pretty sure it classifies as an extreme event
    *support*

Quote Originally Posted by EzriEU
    As far as the preliminary Patchnotes go, only the added reduction of all dmg will be restricted to PvP-damage. There's no indication that the crit-reduction resilience provides will cease to work in PvE.
    If it does, there's always Druid tanking gear. But that's quite a bit lower on the armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainz
    I seem to remember Shamans and Moonkin's tanking Malch and other raids in Burning Crusade, no?
    They probably spec'd into the talent they reduced spell damage taken by 10%.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

blizzard stated on launch of 2.4 patch already that resilience doesnt work on pve, is it bugged then or wut?

Deleted

Doing it is not hard, anybody can do it if they bother too collect gear to tank.

But considering you came up with the idea too do something this unique it deserves a thing on frontpage.

Grats on the kill and even more grats on the fact that you said it was mostly a pug group. I dont know that many ppl who would be up for trying something like this in a pug for many reasons. Just makes it that much more impressive imo. Agree with front page position

Quote Originally Posted by tears
    blizzard stated on launch of 2.4 patch already that resilience doesnt work on pve, is it bugged then or wut?
    Resilience-based crit reduction ALWAYS worked in PvE, ever since resilience was first introduced. Blizzard never stated that it shouldn't work. It works now, and at least as far as the current patchnotes go it will work with 3.2 as well. The only thing they stated (and this is absolutely right) is that the new effect of reducing all damage by the amount that the opponent's chance to crit you is reduced will not work in PvE.

And what's the matter? Resilience is a no-go for PvE-tanking since its only use is to make a tank uncrittable, while Defense also adds Dodge, Parry, Block and Miss at a lower iLvl cost. Resilience can be a bandaid-fix for undergeared PvE-Tanks who are just slightly below the Def-cap, nothing more - or a means to pull off a stunt like Sharicasmi did.
    Now, if they had made it so that the new dmg-reduction would work in PvE, it would suddenly have become a desirable stat for tanks. They don't, rightfully so, end of discussion.

Resilience was supposedly deactivated in pve for patch 3.0, though i beleive things changed when ulduar was released because one of the bosses (thorim i think) has a crit buff that increases his chance to crit (making a little bit of extra resilience useful even for geared defense capped tanks)

Ezru pretty much nailed it when he said "that the new effect of reducing all damage by the amount that the opponent's chance to crit you is reduced will not work in PvE"
    I beleive it is our RIGHT as a dps class to be able to wear resilience gear for pve crit immunity for those situations where your tank may not hold aggro for long.

Pugging this event was tricky, our guild had only 4 shaman online but i was lucky there was high enthusiasm for the event. I had about 3 pugs selected a day before hand who I had previously tanked for in heroics. Although people were welcomed and encouraged in the raid, people also understood that they could be replaced in any role since they were all ele/resto or enhance/enhance so we had our worst geared folk dpsing and our best geared folk healing.
    I often pug people in heroics with the opening line "Excuse me, ________ have you ever seen a shaman tank before? No? Would you like to?" word gets around pretty fast. When people stop saying no to the initial question you can assume you're well known lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sharicasmi
    Resilience was supposedly deactivated in pve for patch 3.0, though i beleive things changed when ulduar was released because one of the bosses (thorim i think) has a crit buff that increases his chance to crit (making a little bit of extra resilience useful even for geared defense capped tanks)

NO NO NO.

RESILIENCE HAS ALWAYS WORKED IN PVE.

Always.

Always.

Awesome job.
    Also, there seems to be a huge confusion on whether or not resilience works in PvE or not.
    Honestly, the more you know (for the most part) the less you know about this issue due to lack of communication.

Announced in 2.4, Blizzard said that they were removing the effects of resilience in PvE. But due to Druids severely needing this gear to tank, they held off and never did the change.

Once again, in 3.0 Beta, they said they were removing it in PvE, once again. But they decided that PvP Gear has terrible tanking point allocation and decided never to go through with the change, even though they announced that it was changed.

awesome thanks for the more detailed clarification. I always assumed resilience was disabled in pve from 3.0-3.08 though i had tanked most of heroic nexus and uk in 3.04 in an ele pvp spec. I've always used resilience to get crit immunity, even when i was tanking at level 70. I use resilience gear on my feral druid as well, not because of the crit immunity it offers, but because it's so rich in stam/agil. I'm not a fan of savage defenses so the new ulduar gear is garbage for feral tanks imo, having more attack power and less stam really just sounds silly. A bear tank doesnt care about a 1600 absorb because he's been nerfed down to mail+shield armor (23k) in 3.1 and getting hit for 18k per melee swing on kologarn 10man. Death knight tanks will soon be nerfed down to mail+shield armor level, making paladins and warriors our main raid tanks, and druids/dk's/shaman our less than preferred classes that can tank.

Quote Originally Posted by altiris
    Link please.
    What is there to link to?

Bears use Leather armor and apply a 400% (?) armor buff to cover up for the difference between Plate and Shield armor. Shamans have only Mail (and a Shield).
    When my Shaman went from (crappy) Leather to (crappy) Mail at 40, my armor reduction jumped from ~25% to ~35% or so.
    This guy had just over 50% reduction. Tanks normally go over 60-65%. Imagine how low a Shaman's reduction is in tanking Leather.

well lets see iv got 19.5k armor to 19.9k (57%) armor self buffed, with a 6% bonus damage reduction. Average druid armor (bear multiplier i think is +370%) is between 22k to 27k depending on their gear, with a 12% bonus damage reduction.
    I have well over 23k armor raid buffed and become difficult to tell apart from a druid or death knight tank to many healers. When i pop an ironshield potion it goes up to 27k armor.
    Shaman avoidance is what fails though, and the only thing we can do to make up for it is more self heal and keeping up with stoneclaw absorb shield. It's like playing a tank that gets hit quite often but procs x5 6k-10k heals per minute in bossfights. In many situations any excess damage dealt to the tank can be simply corrected with a 'click'. This philosophy doesn't work on many 25man bosses and most ulduar fights where the average small hit is 11k, and the average boss hits for 17k-25k on mail targets. Still the underlying philosophy you dont want a shaman to tank ulduar for the same reason you dont ask a ret pally to tank ulduar. A few bosses would be possible but it might be messy.

The avoidance isn't the only thing that fails, you wouldn't be able to hold threat against someone doing 6k+ dps.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

Grats, I used to play Alli in BC on Chromaggus, so it's cool that horde is still doing well there. Congrats, was extremely interesting to see

That's effin' awesome. Reminds me of closed beta, before bear druids and prot pallies were finished, shaman were taking offtank roles, and some maintanking, all the time. Glad to see that it's back and viable.