Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Vanilla WoW server?

With the new 3.2 patch incoming it made me think about the old days vanilla days in WoW. Would it be a good idea for blizzard to implement a 'Vanilla WoW server' where AV lasted for hours, leveling to 60 was actually somewhat of a challenge, the opening of the AQ gates was the biggest thing on the server, mounts at level 40 and 60 instead of this level 20 mount for 5g thing. Post if you think an Old School WoW server would be a good or a bad idea.

Thanks

Re: Vanilla WoW server?

Bout the millionth time this idea has been suggested.

It would be cool, but it just ain't happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash
    I want to put Beastslaying on Val'Anyr and AFK in Dalaran.

15+ Year Old Account

good idea.

under 5 known priv servers that hosts vanila wow 1.12 with naxx and couple servers that hosts vanila wow 2.4.3 no naxx

gbye
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

yes it should happen, but there are guilds out there that still run vanilla content.
    you won't get old naxx and the talents are different, but hey, you'll get SOMETHING.

Deleted

Vanilla was "bugged" or now really how Blizz intended some things to be.

I think they could try it..but i think a TBC server would have more succes.
    Classes have a choice how to specc, raids are still hard, you can earn mony alot easyer, more abilities, etc...
    Not to forget, to make a TBC realm it would only take to go few patches back before the Nerf of 30% less health came.

Also TBC had a more fun PvP aspect in it with arena.

They already stated this is not going to happen, due to a multitude of reasons. One of them is that they don't have the original software stored (probably the server software).

It would be fun as an alternative, but not all that interesting in the long run. People seem to only remember the good things about vanilla, and that feeling we had when levelling up and experiencing everything for the first time..? Well, a vanilla server is not going to bring that back. Either way, 3.2 give players the opportunity to cap their levels, which hopefully will lead to some people banding up and doing old content. I'll try, atleast
    "Like it's MY fault some BIG dragon knocked me into a cave full of LITTLE dragons!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight View Post
    The community didn't go down the shitter because of the LFG system, the LFG system just introduced you to the shitty community in a horribly effective way.

This suggestion has been made 10-20 times per day on various forums for the last 3 years.
    Blizzard has said time and time again that they have no plans to do this.

The closest thing you could do is get a group of like minded people together on one server that don't have any of the expansions installed on their computers and you can enjoy playing and raiding lv60 style.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

wait for patch 3.2 , disable exp and enjoy level 60 / level 70 content again in a way it is "pretty much" supposed to be. it's not going to be equal but it will be as close as you can get nowadays. It doesn't hurt all the ulduar raiders on your realm as long as you and your guild are doing something you like it doesn't matter.

if only they could remove the 30% TBC hp nerf again (its not like it's alot of work to add some HP numbers to bosses..) and maybe even add level 60 naxx again ; it's not like those 2 small changes would imbalance the game in some way and it would please alot of people who'd like to cap themselves and "twink" old raids.

blizzard said it's their intention to let most players experience raids. being able to cap yoursel and "twink" oldschool (pre-bc or TBC) raids is a great step in the right direction and will most likely provide hours of fun for those who never done those raids before in a way they are "supposed" to be done.

Why would blizz want to waste resources like that? Especially when there are already private vanilla servers people can go to if they really want.

With 3.2 coming out, Blizz is basically letting us relive Vanilla raiding. With the ability to turn off XP gains, you can go raid lvl 60 raids without having to worry about leveling up from the XP gain from the raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    We agree with Communism.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gibborim
    Why would blizz want to waste resources like that? Especially when there are already private vanilla servers people can go to if they really want.
    would it be that much work to remove the 30% hp outlands nerf?

Quote Originally Posted by Labss
    With the new 3.2 patch incoming it made me think about the old days vanilla days in WoW. Would it be a good idea for blizzard to implement a 'Vanilla WoW server' where AV lasted for hours, leveling to 60 was actually somewhat of a challenge, the opening of the AQ gates was the biggest thing on the server, mounts at level 40 and 60 instead of this level 20 mount for 5g thing. Post if you think an Old School WoW server would be a good or a bad idea.
    Most ppl will say im wrong but here is what i tink of vanilla:

only good thing: LORE!!

Bad things:
    ppl say it was great because you had to put some effort into the game to actually achieve something... efforts like:

spending 90% of your time leveling a char to 60 wich was hard as hell to simply face the never ending farm the game was back then....

never ending AV - ofc those battles where epic.. but have you heard of RL deaths because of ppl that didnt really "knew how to play"? like standing infront of a computer 2 days in a row without eating just to play that one AV! Gratz to blizz for the reinforcements system imo

PvP Ranks... farm for HK all day long to see what happened the day after

Farming instances 24/7 if you wanted to at least have a sneak peak of a 20man raid boss wich was basically the same as the never ending AVs

40 man raids.... wich where sucessfull like what? once a month? and all the hard work you had to make just to organize them

Grinding for Rep.. same as the never ending AV i refered above..... lol

Vanilla was a farming game, TBC wiped most of the farming in the game with most reputations being earned trough daily quests, now WoTLK clearly wiped all the farming left in the game.. even tho ppl say its too easy to play now (Wich i agree), blizz still gave you another path to walk.. you can allways go fly around northrend on your new ulduar hard.modes proto drake with your immortal title if you tink the game is too easy for you

im not against a vanilla server i would personally go there to lvlup a char to 60 but im not leaving wotlk for nothing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Labss
    Would it be a good idea for blizzard to implement a 'Vanilla WoW server'
    How very original and thought provoking! If more people would create a new account to ask this more often, the forums would be a better place!
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    that is a moment where even /headdesk does not quite cut it. i promptly proceeded to /bodywall.

I don't know about you, but I certainly as hell didn't enjoy wiping on retardedly easy bosses (there was the odd gem in vanilla that was hard) because 30 people were AFK on auto-shot and / or failed to understand how to move out of the raid.
    I certainly didn't enjoy nothing but pure garbage stats on my gear because blizzard didn't know how to itemize their own game.
    I did not enjoy getting to C'thun and finding out that he was unkillable because Blizzard screwed up big time.
    I did not enjoy wiping on bosses because the mechanic blizzard implemented was buggy as all hell and never fixed.
    I did not enjoy wasting 4 hours of my day farming so I could go and raid another 4 hours later that night.
    I did not enjoy being -forced- to heal if I wanted to raid because that's what my class dictated.
    I did not enjoy the retarded Grand Marshal grind.
    What did I enjoy? I think I cheered a little when C'thun died. Actually, looking through my sound recordings, 25 people cheered longer, louder and harder on M'uru than 40 people did on C'thun, so I don't know. BC was overall more enjoyable than Classic by miles, despite what some of those people may think.

First of all; if you want this to happen, post it on the suggestion forums (it'll be taken down/flamed tho). Secondly; No.

First of all, why is this in the battleground forum? Second of all, no. For all of the reason stated above.

I would settle for them just bringing back ranks in PvP and have another "Step Above" set of gear for the people that achieve that level.  I am not saying taking honor out of the game but make it where (like arenas in a way) the people that make rank can get special mounts and gear.

Edit: I know, stupid idea but not any worse than this thread and it makes it PvP.

wrong forum section imo

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

its proven that people remember positive things easier than negative, but as soon as you starting think about something you will remember the negative things too
    ...................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

I didn't like vanilla much. I especially hated the class design and the way gear/dungeon progression was handled. Every expansion brings the game a bit closer to what I want it to be.

I don't want to go back, I want to fast forward