Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Lake Wintergrasp Changes in Patch 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by Hunohana
    What about Dalagran ?
    Only 200 may be allowed in Dalaran in 3.2, there will be a queue system which will allow you access to the city for 15 minutes. Enough time to visit the vendors and do the fishing daily! You may not return to Dalaran for 30 minutes, a debuff will placed on you.

If you are not in the queue, you will be teleport to Shattrath... <3
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by evoker
    Only 200 may be allowed in Dalaran in 3.2, there will be a queue system which will allow you access to the city for 15 minutes. Enough time to visit the vendors and do the fishing daily! You may not return to Dalaran for 30 minutes, a debuff will placed on you.
    epic :P

no point in it being a zone now tho, might aswell just be a BG!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by evoker
    Sheesh, don't get them ideas or else you'll read this one in the 3.3 notes soon™ ^^

Well if this wont solve the lag, what will?

I hope blizz learns from this and makes people spread more in new battle grounds to prevent lag.

Using "world pvp" as an argument is petty. I do not recall a time ever where I was in "world pvp" other than Taren Mill where there was 100 people per faction. Unless you also count the AQ'40 event and the world bosses for the quests... and we all know what happened to the servers at those times.

They should ninja some more ideas of WAR, like stable servers which can host 300v300 battles.
    Yeah... and WAR is going strong with over 11 million people.

That's pretty crap. Why not just make it instanced?
    They are. This is what you can call a "soft instance". After the match is over, people are free to come and go as they please. You can farm the revenants for your quests/eternals. You can fish for your daily/feasts. You can still mine the area and pick cold flowers. You cannot instance a world zone as semi-important as Wintergrasp is. This idea is awesome... It's the best possible solution they could come up with.

Well... that is, except for the suggestions from people posting behind forums that have very little knowledge on how the game/hardware works and what it is capable of doing.

Deleted

Yay if your selected you have more chance grinding ores and herbs as less palyers are there.

To all those who thinks this is a good idea becouse of the lag, here is a QFT from the WoWeu forums:

"Yeah it's something, like blowing your leg off with a shotgun is something to cure an ingrown toenail."

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Yeah... and WAR is going strong with over 11 million people.
    Dummy, all these 11 million ain't playing on a single server so this argument is fail.

At best there are serveral hundred people in the same zone on high pop servers and WoW still can't handle it.

War might have less subscribers but has even less servers, so it might even be true, that it's more stable.

itt: qq

Quote Originally Posted by Eriador
    this game really needs to end soon. bring on starcraft 2 or old republic. the changes theyre making to this game are now beyond annoying.
    Then cancel your account and stop playing. Why waste $15 bucks a month on a game that is beginning to annoy you then?

as usual from Blizzard, a terrible change to a problem they couldn't be bothered to spend money on fixing.

Reaons why Wintergrasp fails at the moment:
    a) Vault of Archivon - free epics - so everyone wants to do the battle, leading to a HUGE number of people in the zone
    b) Huge amount of honor, for AFKing, even more than AV
    c) Zone-wide honor and token system, meaning you can AFK and clog up the zone, and still get good rewards
    d) [Most important one] A ridiculously badly designed zone, with 1 choke point to win the battle, leading to an enourmous number of players in 1 tiny area

All the above is fine if Blizzard fixes the problem with the lag, but they couldn't be bothered to put a proper solution to it, so they thought they'd just nerf it into oblivion so nobody bothers to go there any more. TBH though, there will be no reason to go to wintergrasp after 3.2, so tbh this change isn't even needed.

a) free T8.5 makes VoA pretty pointless (random drop rate is just too low to bother with)
    b) Wintergrasp pvp items are outdated and are crap compared to Season 7 gear
    c) No 2v2 arena bracket (effectively) will remove probably at least 25% of the PvPers from the game. I know I'll be stopping arena, as I just don't have the game time to play 3v3 and 5v5 matches (matches take same time, but organising is much harder). Also FoTM rerollers wont pvp anymore, resulting in fewer people bothering with the zone.

All in all, Blizzard are killing off the most successful thing they ever implemented in this game.

Now, that's Blizzard logic for you.

http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

15+ Year Old Account

This soft instancing thing is nice, but at the same time, part of me prefers it was just a traditional battleground and something like 80 v. 80.

1. WG only happens every 2.5 hours. If you're waiting and waiting and waiting for WG battles and you don't get selected, you're out of luck. No WG marks for you.

2. If you're going to make people enter a queue it might as well be a full and independent instance. Wintergrasp was a great idea. Unfortunately, the technology isn't available to Blizzard to pull it off and support the scale of players interested. Not your fault, Blizzard, but making more and more restrictive changes to it every patch is quickly ruining the idea of a "persistent world PvP zone". What players who ask for world PvP mean is not that they want to take a portal to a zone designed for PvWall combat every 2.5 hours.

3. Some servers still experience lag even when there are only 2 or so raid groups on either side. 100 v 100 isn't that restrictive for some realms, but it's restrictive for larger realms and probably won't make that much of a difference for lag in and outside the zone.

I like all of the new changes, but this is the only thing that I don't know about. I really don't like what they are thinking.

I know that it's hard for them to make a stable server since they are broke and have no money to buy good equipment, so I guess that they have to do what they can! :
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

Quote Originally Posted by Smisktrasan
    To all those who thinks this is a good idea becouse of the lag, here is a QFT from the WoWeu forums:

"Yeah it's something, like blowing your leg off with a shotgun is something to cure an ingrown toenail."
    Incorrect, and shows just how much people on forums tend not to understand the ways in which networking and servers actually operate.

In the above quote there is a specific tool to deal with the problem, a set of nail clippers.
    Here, it's not so clear cut. There is no "magic code" that they can implement to make lag go away. You have to make your own tool most of the time, or else you don't have the right to be called a DEVELOPER. Don't give me the excuse that "it's what they are paid to do", because quite frankly, they are trying their best here to alleviate problems. This may be just a temporary solution till they can get things worked out. Maybe they don't have other options. So it's either try this change and see how it goes, or do nothing at all and listen to people QQ to "fix WG plz Blizz, gg".

EDIT: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    Well if this wont solve the lag, what will?

I hope blizz learns from this and makes people spread more in new battle grounds to prevent lag.
    New servers. They said themselves they need new servers but it's a process that takes a lot of time, and a lot of time is something Blizzard doesn't want to deal with. They just use band-aid fixes.

I totally agree with Brasko...

I think limiting the ammount of people in the zone goes against the whole 'world pvp' idea that was the reason for it's creation; also it's probably be pretty annoying being teleported around.

A better solution would be spreading people further in the area, what causes the lag is people's proximity. By spreading people I mean of course giving more objectives within it the give them reason to spread out (a silly example would be if the fire elementals dropped a material that you can harvest and use on catapults during the battle).

This cap is going to be pretty harsh for bigger servers, on Warsong-US for example it's usual to have 4 full raids groups of each faction fighting for the zone on peak times.

Yay if your selected you have more chance grinding ores and herbs as less palyers are there.
    If you are selected you are more than likely doing battle. Not running around trying to find nodes.

There is time in between battles where people go to Wintergrasp to farm. You can agrue this all you want, Wintergrasp is the single best place to farm Thorium. With epic gems coming from Thorium... yeah.

So it's either try this change and see how it goes, or do nothing at all and listen to people QQ to "fix WG plz Blizz, gg".
    There is no reasoning to these people. If 3.2 Wintergrasp was what we go at the start of WoTLK and 3.1 Wintergrasp was what we were getting in the next pach... People would be bitching about that. People will bitch about change... no matter if the change is for the better.

Like, for example, if Blizzard announced they were going to add another currency to the game, Platnium. Then people would bitch about that because they wouldn't have "big numbers" to represent how much gold they had. They would just have 32.8 Platnium.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

They need to do one of two things:

1. Make it a real instanced BG that will still be played after Northrend is a ghost town in 4.0 and beyond.

2. Give it a one hour timer.

No more winterlag? yay. 100% no chance of winning due to random scrubs getting in wintergrasp? Yup. Guess my faction can kiss wintergrasp good bye.

We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies