15+ Year Old Account

The role of a ret paladin in 3's

Well being that ret is more of a defensive dps class, what really is their role in 3's? Are they better suited to keep the other 2 classes mobile..i.e, HoF , cleansing, and throwing a heal here and there while keeping ss up? Considering the direction blizzard is throwing us in the next patch with our burst being brought down to par, it seems they want to keep us as a defensive hybrid. So for those rets in the high 3's brackets, is that what you find urself doin, while at the same time throwin damage down? I'm actually lookin to start 3's again and i just wanna know what i should focus my attention on, other then just "dmg" cuz its apparent that 2-3 globals wont cut that, and we have better uses to be a bit more defensive since thats our build.
    "If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

15+ Year Old Account

Re: The role of a ret paladin in 3's

I think the Ret's role can only be decided by knowing what 3 classes make up the team, But overall Primary or Secondary cleansing/Dispelling is where we sit strong. We have a lot of defensive utility but nearly 0 offensive utility. I practice on timely Sacs and Divine sacs to help reduce incoming damage as well as SS and instant FoL anytime It's available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Requital
    I think the Ret's role can only be decided by knowing what 3 classes make up the team, But overall Primary or Secondary cleansing/Dispelling is where we sit strong. We have a lot of defensive utility but nearly 0 offensive utility. I practice on timely Sacs and Divine sacs to help reduce incoming damage as well as SS and instant FoL anytime It's available.
    thats what i thought, because...and i'm not complaining at all...really if u look at our mechanics and our abilities, we really are more a defensive fighter as ret. Our burst is rediculous but our lack of interupts and gap closers sets our offensive abilities back alot from goin in and nuking someone down. After that first gc we're pretty much just sitting there with our thumb up our asses. I think ppl really dont understand or realize that. i was thinkin of running either one of these comps...

resto shaman/mage/ret
    resto shaman/war/ret -for ms
    resto druid/and same above combos
    and mabe a rogue or a dk possible too, or a resto druid

"If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

disc/surv/ret
    disc/mut/ret

massive cc chains while dispelling sheep, immolates etc

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

15+ Year Old Account

thanx mysmere..i thought about takin a priest as a healer but i wasn't sure of it, makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    disc/surv/ret
    disc/mut/ret

massive cc chains while dispelling sheep, immolates etc

Keeping pressure on a target and rotating CC on the desired target, typically the healer.

On a triple dps team you tie down the burstiest one and kite the most kiteable.

Triple dps teams are few and far between though.

it is a MUST to cleanese CCs
    it is a MUST to assist with defensive Hand spells
    while you tryin' to burst down agreed target

I play mut/disc/ret at like 1900 or so

My job in the team is to dump large amounts of damage on the target obviously, I also need to use cleanse/freedom to enable to rogue to stay on target and I have to roll sacred shield on whichever person the other team is dpsing and occasionally throw a spot heal.

I cant tell you how many games we won because i threw a few heals while the priest was cc'd

To do 3s as ret successfully you need to figure out how to use all your abilities on your teammates while still putting out constant large damage

with a retri fulfilling the same job as an ele shammy
    often, kill out 1 of their team

then sit back and heal as much as you can

if you try and blast after the 1 enemy is down it can sometimes lead to someone dying and ending up a 2v2

with the healing it should help you get 1 more down

remember that paladins are a defensive utility based hybrid, they are v good at keeping others up

often not used is the HoS on a mate, followed by glyphed salv on yourself, you still take dmg, but it can keep people up that extra few seconds

Cleansing is one of our biggest advantages, I have a focus macro so I can keep on my target and cleanse at the same time. You have to quickly learn when the best time for a silence is because its probable that your healer or teamate will be silenced, or stuned etc. Our main job is putting pressure where needed, cleansing, and putting your 1 min cc where it matters. Hand of Sacrifice is extremely important as well, nothing like a good hand of sac to get out of a sap from a rogue.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sevearith
    Cleansing is one of our biggest advantages, I have a focus macro so I can keep on my target and cleanse at the same time. You have to quickly learn when the best time for a silence is because its probable that your healer or teamate will be silenced, or stuned etc. Our main job is putting pressure where needed, cleansing, and putting your 1 min cc where it matters. Hand of Sacrifice is extremely important as well, nothing like a good hand of sac to get out of a sap from a rogue.
    Whats the cleanse/focus macro that u use? And thanx for all the tips and re-iterating what our role is. I knew it couldn't be just running in and nuking, its been said and i've seen it playing as ret in pvp..we really are a defensive/support dps hybrid. It actually makes me feel good that we're not the "facerolling" class ppl say we are, because in this sense and instance, it seems we aren't

Quote Originally Posted by Sevearith
    you should have a focus for repent and stun and your cleanse macros and freedoms etc should be direct name tied like:

/cast [nomod] repentance; [mod:shift,target=focus] repentance
    same for stun.
    and
    /cast [nomod] cleanse; [mod:shift,target="partner1's name"] cleanse; [mod:ctrl,target="partner2's name"] cleanse

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species

DOOD RET DUBLE HEELER. If only that was still viable , who knows it might be. I'll be running what I am now in the 3s bracket, resto sham/rogue/ret
    Here's my user friendly signature...enjoy.

The role of a ret paladin in 3's ?

I would guess facerolling like in every other situation in the game ?

Quote Originally Posted by highwind01
    The role of a ret paladin in 3's ?

I would guess facerolling like in every other situation in the game ?
    hai mr troll.

Playing defensively in 3s is pretty standard for Ret.

I run with

Proly/Ret/Rogue

Our rogue insists that Muti rogues are easy pickings, and he runs with Combat, I certainly see why he does, too.

If you have any trouble against priests or druids, SnD + Blade Flurry + Killing Spree makes it seem pretty sickeningly easy for him to deal with. The only problem is that occasionally RNG hates him and he attacks the wrong target too much.

Because our healer is Proly, both the Rogue and the Healer are incredibly tough targets to fight for a melee DPS, so they all come bruising my way, and casters tend to pick on the rogue. We coordinate filling in the gaps in our CC/Damage CDs with cleanse spam, DS, HoSac, HoP, AoW heals, and my favorite trick, Seal of Light.

I make very certain not to use HoF, HoJ, or Repentance during our defensive downtime, though, as all three are critical to any offensive maneuver.

During O, it's a matter of bunching them up, stunning the healer while the rogue goes Killing Spree and I pop wings, doing as much damage as possible to as many targets as possible, and then stunlock the priest while I finish off whatever targets are easiest.

Don't be afraid to try using SoJ or SoL to give your healer a break during the enemy's offensive downtime, and avoid wasting your CDs needlessly, your damage might be good, but it's nothing unless paired with HoJ or Repentance, too many classes can wriggle away if you time it wrong.