Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Ret Paladins are not needed in a 25 man raid, correct?

Assuming you have a Protection Paladin, and a Holy Paladin in the raid, WHY do you need a Ret Paladin?

Attack Power Buff (Flat Add): Battle Shout, Blessing of Might
    Percentage Haste Increase (All Types): Improved Moonkin Aura, Swift Retribution
    Percentage Damage Increase: Ferocious Inspiration, Sanctified Retribution
    Critical Strike Chance Taken Debuff (All types): Heart of the Crusader, Totem of Wrath
    Stat Multiplier Buff: Blessing of Kings

The Holy Paladin uses Kings, and the Protection Paladin has Blessing of Sanctuary, way more reliable than Grace.

Moonkins have 3% haste, Sanctified Retribution is more reliable than Ferocious Inspiration so that may be the only use.

Everything else is replable, and a GOOD Rogue, Warlock, Shadow Priest, or Mage will beat a good Ret Paladin any day of the week. Not to mention 3 of those four classes have range.

Re: Ret Paladins are not needed in a 25 man raid, correct?

We don't even take ret paladins unless we overload on healer and our paly healer wants to go ret. We have one somewhere in the guild though.

If you NEEDED every spec of every class you wouldn't get too far in 25man raids now would you? 10 classes X 3 specs = 30.

The whole point of 'Bring the player not the class' is so that you can get the same buffs from different classes.

Quote Originally Posted by shono99
    any day of the week.
    my favorite catch phrase right there

and yes, i can only repeat what peopel said before me:
    You can't make every specc manditory for a 25 man raid, and blizz made it so that if you are trying to set up a 25 man group and you happen to not have a pally, the shamans will bring the exact same buffs

Quote Originally Posted by Bananengurke
    my favorite catch phrase right there

and yes, i can only repeat what peopel said before me:
    You can't make every specc manditory for a 25 man raid, and blizz made it so that if you are trying to set up a 25 man group and you happen to not have a pally, the shamans will bring the exact same buffs
    Except totems are better...

No spec is mandatory, but most serious 25 man raids consider all buffs mandatory.

This is really, really old news TBH. Use some common sense, connect the dots, and realize that no spec at this point in the game has a safe place in any raid just by virtue of being what it is. Not rets, not rogues, not protadins or even DK's or anything else.

My raid considers our ret paladin to be absolutely vital, because he is our choice to bring some of those buffs, because he is an extremely solid player, because while "any of blah blah blah classes can top him" on a patchwerk style fight, he still does extremely well on certain niche fights, and yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe ret paladins aren't vital to your raid, but it isn't a trend and it isn't a general truth.

Nope.

You also don't need:

Protection,Fury, or Arms Warriors
    Holy, Disc, or Shadow Priests
    Arcane, Fire, or Frost Mages
    Destro, Aff, or Demo Warlocks
    Assassination, Combat, or Subtlety Rogues
    Balance, Resto, or Feral Druids
    Enhance, Elemental, or Resto Shamans
    Marksman, Survival, or BM Hunters
    Frost, Blood, or Unholy Death Knights
    or Prot, Holy, and of course Ret Paladins

But you do need some combination of the above, whoever can fill the specific needed rolls, but there is no need for any one specific class or spec, unless a fight specifically requires one for some ability that they only have, such as priests on Razuvious for MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia
    This is really, really old news TBH. Use some common sense, connect the dots, and realize that no spec at this point in the game has a safe place in any raid just by virtue of being what it is. Not rets, not rogues, not protadins or even DK's or anything else.

My raid considers our ret paladin to be absolutely vital, because he is our choice to bring some of those buffs, because he is an extremely solid player, because while "any of blah blah blah classes can top him" on a patchwerk style fight, he still does extremely well on certain niche fights, and yadda yadda yadda.
    You've simply bucked the hypothetical. In a situation where all the buffs are present without the ret paladin, you then consider the player and the class that player is bringing. When a GOOD ret paladin is so far behind in almost every fight, and the buffs he's bringing are spoken for, there's not much reason to bring that GOOD ret paladin.

We still bring one ret paladin (me) because I'm part of the cooldown rotation on the tank in certain fights. That's the only reason I get brought.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahadev
    If you NEEDED every spec of every class you wouldn't get too far in 25man raids now would you? 10 classes X 3 specs = 30.

The whole point of 'Bring the player not the class' is so that you can get the same buffs from different classes.
    It takes skill to be the top DPS. You have to know how to gear your class once you get hit/expertise capped.

Do Warlocks stack spellpower? Absolutely, however Haste and Crit are also very important as Haste outputs more damage in a shorter amount of time, shortens the global cooldown(Conflag, COD, Backdrafted Incinerates, Immolate), all of which can easily get under 1.3 seconds with a decent amount of haste. Even Ret Paladins make use of haste, even though stacking attack power is most important, as they use a ton of global cooldowns to get their abilities out faster.

But if you want your 1.5 second spells to cast at 1 second, you need around 40% spell haste. It's not unobtainable, but not practical unless you stack haste/hit

AfterDinnerPayback

Be happy!

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

There's also Judgements, either Light or Wisdom. If you have a Tankadin with you, then you will likely have one of them up. The Ret paladin can bring the other. Sure, the Holydin can bring the one that the Ret brings, but I dare say it won't have half as much up time as the Ret's would.

C
    x

After 3.2, you won't even need a Ret for OP JoL procs. If PvE damage isn't ramped up to keep pace with DKs, Warriors, and Shamans, Rets will be losing their spots to any Raid with 2 or more Paladins.

It takes skill to be the top DPS. You have to know how to gear your class once you get hit/expertise capped.

Do Warlocks stack spellpower? Absolutely, however Haste and Crit are also very important as Haste outputs more damage in a shorter amount of time, shortens the global cooldown(Conflag, COD, Backdrafted Incinerates, Immolate), all of which can easily get under 1.3 seconds with a decent amount of haste. Even Ret Paladins make use of haste, even though stacking attack power is most important, as they use a ton of global cooldowns to get their abilities out faster.

But if you want your 1.5 second spells to cast at 1 second, you need around 40% spell haste. It's not unobtainable, but not practical unless you stack haste/hit
    I gear myself properly. I can FCFS in my sleep. Even so, I wouldn't take me to a raid if we didn't need one of my cooldowns on a couple fight. Nobody cares about my "OP" JoL (it just makes the real healers overheal). Nobody cares about my buffs. Other than Kings, they come from other classes, and Kings comes from the prot or holy pally. It comes down to DPS plain and simple. And honestly, ret paladins aren't keeping up.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account

Assuming you have a Protection Paladin, and a Holy Paladin in the raid, WHY do you need a Ret Paladin?

Attack Power Buff (Flat Add): Battle Shout, Blessing of Might
    Percentage Haste Increase (All Types): Improved Moonkin Aura, Swift Retribution
    Percentage Damage Increase: Ferocious Inspiration, Sanctified Retribution
    Critical Strike Chance Taken Debuff (All types): Heart of the Crusader, Totem of Wrath
    Stat Multiplier Buff: Blessing of Kings

The Holy Paladin uses Kings, and the Protection Paladin has Blessing of Sanctuary, way more reliable than Grace.

Moonkins have 3% haste, Sanctified Retribution is more reliable than Ferocious Inspiration so that may be the only use.

Everything else is replable, and a GOOD Rogue, Warlock, Shadow Priest, or Mage will beat a good Ret Paladin any day of the week. Not to mention 3 of those four classes have range.
    Until 3.2 when they fix JoL a Ret Paladin can provide the spot that a healer is in allowing you to take another DPS to up the raid DPS and that is what I would suggest not to mention JoW is gooda s well. I see a lot of guilds running with 2 Ret JoL/JoW that is also what we do and it allows for slightly better DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

An extra Divine Sacrifice, Divine Intervention, and some nice dps on fights that require everyone to be moving.

Rets tend to shine in fights where there is alot of raid motion because they can burst and have a nice mixture of ranged an melee attacks.

edit:
    Though as said before, not needed

This thread makes me sad =(
    I started the Book of Faces moving
    Was involved in the RP Invasion

/Brofisting Vol'Jin

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    You've simply bucked the hypothetical. In a situation where all the buffs are present without the ret paladin, you then consider the player and the class that player is bringing. When a GOOD ret paladin is so far behind in almost every fight, and the buffs he's bringing are spoken for, there's not much reason to bring that GOOD ret paladin.

We still bring one ret paladin (me) because I'm part of the cooldown rotation on the tank in certain fights. That's the only reason I get brought.
    A good ret paladin does competitive DPS in every encounter. You're just terrible if you think you're good and yet "so far behind in almost every fight".
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

looks like were going back to prebc ret again /sigh
    :'((they didnt exist)

Quote Originally Posted by SPF18
    The lair is on the ground in the mountains.

Deleted

It seems that many people especially from "raiding guilds" are still stuck at Vanilla or TBC. Wake up, Wrath is here and paladins hit just as hard as anyone else. Assuming they are not alts of yours who have never even been played seriously, but instead just to pretend that you know paladins well enough to justify your bullshit and hatred towards the class. Like those people who acquire a Ph.D and right after that reject all of their education to spam their own old opinions behind their paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie
    You're just terrible if you think you're good and yet "so far behind in almost every fight".
    ^

i was once top effective heal in hodir 25 man fight as a ret. 800-900 heal per attack will help ur healer and raid. JoL ftw