15+ Year Old Account

Warlock Question and Answers - Post Here

New here? Have a question? Post here. Any topic, even non-warlock questions, are allowed as long as you follow the rules.

Rules of posting in this thread:
    1) Do not troll or flame. New players need to feel welcome, not shamed.
    2) If you disagree with advice given to a player, say you disagree and explain why. Calling each other idiots will not be tolerated.
    3) Breaking these rules will get you reported, and the mods have ACTUAL trolls to deal with and probably don't want to ban your ass too.
    4) This is an international forum. English is not the first language of many of the readers. If you can't understand what they are saying, don't bother replying.

I will keep a summary of the most frequently asked questions with answers in the next post. Happy posting.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Warlock Question and Answer Thread

How does Hit Rating work, and how much do I need?
    Casters require 17%, minus talents, minus raid buffs from a Balance Druid or Shadow Priest, and minus Heroic Presence from a Draenei in your group.
    The following website explains this much better than I ever could:
    http://wowmb.net/forums/f104/30669-w...t_cap_mr_wolf/

Melee require 8% hit, minus talents and minus Heroic Presence, and 6.5% Expertise for their main hand weapon. Offhand weapon hit, while important, does not get you the dps gains it once did. Being over 8% when dual wielding is not a bad thing.

Hit rating is important for the following scenarios:
    Warlock Below Hit CapStupid Mage
    Warlock starts casting Shadow BoltMage stands there going "dur."
    Warlock is still casting Shadow BoltMage starts using his wand
    Warlock's Shadow Bolt misses the targetMage's wand hits target for 200 damage

Guess what: the Mage just outdps'd you with his wand. You lost:
    - Time - This is the most important DPS stat because its the only value you cannot fix. The mage stood there like an idiot while you worked, but the outcome was the same. You wasted time and that is a huge mistake.
    - Mana - important because whenever you press Life Tap you are not pressing a button that applies damage.
    - Damage - your numbers went down, not a lot, but enough

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Reserved, just in case :P

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Andyplayswow
    whats hit cap for elemental shammy?
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_hit - Has a nice little chart for you to follow according to buffs and such.

http://wowmb.net/index.php?page=FAQ

This would be a good place to start

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=47314.0 already got atleast 90% of all the pve info you would need so I cant realy see any reason to make a brand new thread. Maybe it just me but it just seems like q and as threads does not work, all the info is already here but still you weekly see new posters asking about haste vs spellpower or something else that has already been posted atleast 900 times.

I think its nice to collect all the info but most people already know it all and the people that could use the info are just going to make thread nr. 9762. But if you want to make a q and a thread then start with the basic, what is a warlocks? what is special? what is dots? and so on since with out a general idea few people are going to post in this thread.

Melan

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Crazhr
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=47314.0 already got atleast 90% of all the pve info you would need so I cant realy see any reason to make a brand new thread. Maybe it just me but it just seems like q and as threads does not work, all the info is already here but still you weekly see new posters asking about haste vs spellpower or something else that has already been posted atleast 900 times.
    The point of this thread is to have one place where people can ask that question. People feel better when they communicate, rather than have a one way information path (Screen --> You). If this thread is filled with 900 questions about Haste and Spellpower then thats 900 people who feel a bit better about themselves and their ability to play a warlock.

Also, there are multiple ways to answer the same question, and there are multiple ways to ask the same question. Not understanding the answer even though its the right answer means that the question is wrong, or being asked incorrectly. Thus you get hundreds of people asking the same question.

The summary I indicated will not try and create a PVE knowledge base. Hundreds of those exist to varying degrees of complexity. The summary is more for "What kind of questions get asked and answered here"

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronism
    Warlocks have many types of passive physical damage reduction, such as Molten Skin, Soul Link (which can be glyphed for an additional +5%), the small amount of armor that comes from the cloth gear, the Voidwalker effect from Master Demonologist, and even the armor given from Demon Armor.

-How do these multiple forms of physical damage reduction combine?
    I asked this question in regard to tanking as a Paladin and Lore, one of the more knowledgable people over at tankspot.com, indicated that they are applied one at a time. Here's a play by play, and keep in mind that the order does not matter, except that Soul Link occurs last.

Warrior winds up a big hit for 10k unmitigated.
    20% armor knocks it down to 8k (10,000 * (1 - .2) = 8,000)
    6% molten skin knocks it down to 7520 (8,000 * (1 - .06) = 7520)
    10% voidwalker knocks it down to 6768 (7520 * (1 - .1) = 6768)
    25% soul link means you take 5076 and your pet takes the rest (6768 * (1 - .25) = 5076)

20 + 6 + 10 + 25 = 61%, but we only mitigated ~50%.

R.I.P. YARG