Thread: Spell Pushback

Spell Pushback

Since the still remains a disparity between melee and casters in PVP, perhaps the easiest solution would be to do away with spell pushback.

Re: Spell Pushback

Most everyone has talents that reduce spell pushback by ~70%. In BC it had no limits but now it is limited to 2 pushes back at .5 seconds each. Thats .3 seconds pushed back after both hits on a talented target. I barely even see this as an impact.

If I had to change something what I would do is make pushback no longer limited to 2 pushes (either make it unlimited or have a higher maximum), but change the effect of interrupts to something like: Pushes the current spell back to the start of the cast and reduce its casting speed and casting speed of the same school spells by half for x seconds.

Then the only problem would be that melee could dance around the caster and not let him get his spells off. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by wyzard
    Would you like to make a product that very few people can actually use? No, you're not.

Go away pesky rogue!!!

Sorry you got global'd by destro skillcrits

Pesky rogue? I'm a warlock, I do the destro skillcrits. :P

I was trying to think of a way of getting rid of complete silences and just making the cast time longer but without making it too overpowered, perhaps by trying not to make it look like too much of a buff I have made it look more like a nerf?

Maybe interrupts like: pushes the cast time of the current spell back to the start and make it cast twice as slow, and keep pushback how it is now. This just seemed a little too overpowered to me though so I made it same school spells and improved spell pushback.

I hope you understand what I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyzard
    Would you like to make a product that very few people can actually use? No, you're not.

I sincerely think it's good as it is now... Caster's have enough of a trouble as it is now (Healer's have it easier as they don't have to face the target at the same time they are being hit)
    I don't want to have it like it was before. If you think raising the max or making it unlimited is a fix then no it's not it would just bring it back to how it was before... you had pretty much the same spell pushback reduction just that it didn't really stop

What I would rather like to see is something to help caster's with lag problems when trying to cast at a target that is running around you... What I would like to see is something like "when a target is in melee range, you won need to face the target to get your ability off (only when starting the spell you need to look in the right direction)"
    I think it's fine with how the behind the target work in a way, but if you have lag (which I actually doesn't have a lot of, but have had before) you will most of the time not get the spell off because it says you must be facing your target...

I agree... if ur facing the target when u start the cast it should complete whether they are infront, behind, beside, below, above, inside, and even out of range of you... All melee have interupts or silences to stop caster, yet casters don't have a disarm, yeah that makes sense. Sure we have ways to distance ourself ie. snares, fear, blink ect... yet melee have tools to close those gaps immediately like charge, hand of freedom, SPRINT, deathgrip, frost shock, hamstring, crippling poison, repentance, trinkets, intercept, piercing howl, instant ghost wolf... did I forget any?

I missed the old days of feral cat pushback......i raped all

Casters are supposed to lose to melee if they stay in melee range. Also not all melee have interrupts (ex ret pallys), most interrupts are on sufficiently long cooldowns that spells may be cast during the cd even after an interrupt occurs, and most casters have silence reducing talents.

Some casters DO have disarms.

Lets be honest 2 types of melee are destroying casters in arena;

#1 Plate wearers

#2 Rogues

Rogues are widely recognized as an anti-caster class, only recently have they also become an anti-melee class (that needs to be fixed obviously, it was a bad bandaid to keep rogues alive when there was too much plate in arena). Plate wearers all share 1 thing in common, THEY CAN TANK. Tanking comes with damage reducing cooldowns, which have become too effective in arena and are ruining it for everyone, not just casters.

When you want to generalize that "All melee can do X", try to think about all melee, then you start to realize what is really broken (I roll Enh, it makes the disparities more obvious).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

That's what I was saying... melee can coutner every attempt casters make to get out of range. And Rep. and HOJ could be considered an interrupt in a broader scope of things.

What caster's have disarm?

and lol that its ok for rogues to own casters in arena but when they start owning melee THAT'S when change is needed.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback
    That's what I was saying... melee can coutner every attempt casters make to get out of range. And Rep. and HOJ could be considered an interrupt in a broader scope of things.

What caster's have disarm?

and lol that its ok for rogues to own casters in arena but when they start owning melee THAT'S when change is needed.
    Fire mages has an awesome talent that gives every melee and ranged attack have a 10% chance to disarm your target. It's a really reliable disarm, you can time it and stuff like that... Oh w ait.

And on a side not how many fire mages do you see in PvP with that talent? hardly anyone, because guess what? Fire sucks in PvP.

Sure return the pushback to what it was then, but then you should also start considering what to do with all the counters ALL classes has to get back into melee range against casters.

There will always be a huge difference between casters and melee. Being required to stand still to cast, while melee can run around and jump in circles, along with nearly every special ability being instant, is just imbalance in itself.

There is almost no real way to fix it that isn't complex. You would have to rebalance every spell, because its damage is balanced by its spell cast time. You can't just make melee have to stand still to attack, because that's even more broken than casters having to stand still.

I don't want to be able to run around casting 6k starfires on everyone, but it's impossible to get one off without a lot of haste, which doesn't exist on pvp armor pieces, only the necks/capes/rings/etc. Melee can literally run through a caster and cause the spell to stop. Yes, it's possible to turn around, but if they are turn-jumping back and forth through you, you rely on luck almost as much as positioning. With long spells, anyone with an interrupt or knockback or stun can very very easily stop you, but the only way to stop melee is to stun them, or be a frost mage. (Yes, I know other classes have snares and whatever. Frost mages just have the best of them.)

Removing pushback wouldn't be enough, but it would be closer. Pushback was retarded when the game came out, it's unbelievable that they didn't make a maximum pushback time earlier, and even more that it wasn't just removed.

i also think that the meele has big advantage because they can just walk trough you and you are interrupted because of LoS....i sometimes must cast my haunt 4 or more times band meele is just using normal game mechanic (move) to avoid spell....and i can only use my instant Howl of Terror which also breaks in 2 sec or my instant teleport which is sometimes out of range or makes also my healer dissappointed or i am already near it so it has no effect or i am charged if i am trying to port and cast haunt....we had fear to get away from meele range, now we have nothing but port which doesnt make sense all the time....its a pitty because i love my lock but i really suck and have only 1700 rating....

That is why I gave the idea, that if the melee are still in melee range (could be further away but it would make it a lot unbalanced imo) you can FINISH the spell cast without facing the target... BUT it should be required to face the target to START casting the spell

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback
    I agree... if ur facing the target when u start the cast it should complete whether they are infront, behind, beside, below, above, inside, and even out of range of you... All melee have interupts or silences to stop caster, yet casters don't have a disarm,

melee cant hit people behind them so no.

BTW palas dont have interupts or silences. (no thats a stun with a 1 min cd)
    Nerf 5 VS 1!!

Quote Originally Posted by NerDy

No they can not but the fortunate thing about melee is that they don't need to stand still to use most of their abilities (it's like 0.5% of their offensive abilities that you have to stand still to use), there lies the reason that at least facing in melee range to FINISH a spellcast shouldn't be necessary, in my opinion

15+ Year Old Account

1) Spell pushback is fine. The reason it exists is to add a tiny delay so that, for example, a rogue running towards you spamming Kick doesn't end up feared AND you silenced/locked out as well. Just like Charge has a stun to prevent you from being out of melee range when the warrior's screen finally loads his new position.

2) Spell direction is annoying but fine. Use your right mouse button more. Or, here's a crazy idea, stop using cast-time spells when the target is sitting on top of you so you can RUN AWAY. 50% of warlock pvp is running away.

3) Haste is a very important stat for every caster in pvp.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by NerDy

BTW palas dont have interupts or silences. (no thats a stun with a 1 min cd)
    so we should move while we cast!!!

@ gherkin, how do you run from a rogue who just crippling poisoned you...

Ok im shaman dont say cleanse, that shit is useless

Oh yay i cleansed,.... .wait shit im stunned..

stunnned.....

Thunderstorm, crap he sprinted to me....

Earthbind...
    cleanse.....

oh shit im dead..

(i totally agree with the startcasting facing them and finish as long as they are in range..like healz.)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Communist_Llama
    @ gherkin, how do you run from a rogue who just crippling poisoned you...

Ok im shaman dont say cleanse, that shit is useless

Oh yay i cleansed,.... .wait shit im stunned..

stunnned.....

Thunderstorm, crap he sprinted to me....

Earthbind...
    cleanse.....

oh shit im dead..

(i totally agree with the startcasting facing them and finish as long as they are in range..like healz.)
    Last I checked this was the warlock forums. I can't help you with your Shaman problems. If it was a warlock, Teleport the snare off, or pray your partner(s) can keep you alive for a peel.

R.I.P. YARG