Retribution vs Discipline Priest (PvP)

Anyone else having a huge problem versus Discipline Priests most of all?
    Shield absorbs mean no mana back from Judgements + Mana Burn + Dispel of Divine Plea = No damage.

Re: Retribution vs Discipline Priest (PvP)

Everyone has huge problems with disc priests.

Welcome to balance. No class has an easy time killing a healer 1v1, if that were the case 3's would be a joke. It would be 3 dps teams or 2 healers 1 dps teams.

Well, I dont have a problem with being unable to blast them.
    The real problem I have is becoming ineffective against any team
    with a discipline priest. It's not like I'm being focused with CC. It's
    just something they do on a regular basis that makes me unable
    to DPS. If it was a cyclone, fear, etc.. that they had to actually
    worry about breaking I'd feel less useless.

If you where stating at a Duel PoV, it's fairly easy, takes just some time.

- Go SoW (i know, you will suck at DPS..)
    - Save your trinket for the fear when he will drink (yes...)
    - Put the pressure, let him waste is mana.

Two things happen :

He try to manaburn you but you keep regaining with SoW and healing with JoL, when the bubble fade, you gain 25% of your Base Mana .

Over a long period, he will (mostly) try to kill you. Just put SS, heal, and continue. Save Your CD!.

When you see its low in mana, Change to SoB, put wings + trinket, stun him and Burst Him into Oblivion. Keep your Repentence CD as well, and your BE silence if you have it.

Works Fine for Me

Some good ideas. Thanks.

A disc priest's mana pool is the smallest and least retaining of all healer specs (including the non-viable Holy Priest).

He/she has to go offensive to win anything, because there's no chance of lasting a long drawn out fight. Blowing all trinkets and bursting them down won't work against any priest that knows what he/she's doing, but slowly wearing them out (while keeping yourself topped off) drains them. Mana Burn isn't that effective on a Ret Paladin anymore (especially one using SoW like suggested above) and our dots can be cleansed.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    A disc priest's mana pool is the smallest and least retaining of all healer specs (including the non-viable Holy Priest).

Umm, no?

Disc Priests have huge mana pools. Mine has over 22k unbuffed, the only other class that can get close or above that, is a Holy Pally. I never see Druids, shammys or even holy priests with that much unbuffed unless they go hybrid and spec into mental strength.

The guy above me is an idiot.

PvP priests do have a hard time retaining mana while focused. This is the key force them to burn mana staying defensive without giving him everything you've got. When he's low, it's time to unload. Hint: Stun/kill the shadowfiend and laugh.

armory link for the above plz.....while wearing pvp gear ofc seeing as we are talking from a pvp point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil
    The guy above me is an idiot.

PvP priests do have a hard time retaining mana while focused. This is the key force them to burn mana staying defensive without giving him everything you've got. When he's low, it's time to unload. Hint: Stun/kill the shadowfiend and laugh.
    yur the idiot..

learn to play yur disc better, I dont have those issues mmkay!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaze0zzy
    Umm, no?

Disc Priests have huge mana pools. Mine has over 22k unbuffed, the only other class that can get close or above that, is a Holy Pally. I never see Druids, shammys or even holy priests with that much unbuffed unless they go hybrid and spec into mental strength.

I'd like to see your armory link in pvp spec and gear with 22k mana unbuffed pl0x.

yes id love to see a discpriest with 22k+ mana too while in pvpgear ;o~~

Play defensive.. Like the class was originally intended.
    You'd be suprised just how effective a Paladin (of any spec) can be when it comes to a turtle match.

You can outlast a Paladin who is trying to nuke you..
    There is no way in hell you're gonna outlast a Paladin who is trying to outlast you.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

You could pay your nearest MS warr a couple gold. They can kill priests at 90% mana.
    SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES

yur the idiot..

learn to play yur disc better, I dont have those issues mmkay!
    We're discussing PvP here. My Disc priest has 962 resilience, and has around 16.5k mana. Since Sfiend has 1,000 ways to be CCed, this mana doesn't last long. Long matches only favour you if you're against a double DPS or a healer who's really bad.

Umm, no?

For PVP, that's not feasible unless perhaps if you were to exclusively gem / enchant for it. I'm mostly furious-geared, and even if I equip Pandora's Plea and get Int and Kings buffs I marginally break 21k. So for PVP, not buying 22k unbuffed.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

In the arena, Priests topple Rets because of the effectiveness of fear in the hands of a healer who relies on shields.

You can try a battle of attrition, but only if you're sure your teammates can also outlast the priest's teammates. If there's a rogue involved, I wouldn't count on winning by outlasting them, the rogue can peel you and keep you well away from the priest plenty long enough for him to drink. Fear + Run + One teammate CCing is easy mana gains for any Disc.

I personally reccomend you swap targets judiciously, and particularly when LoS is involved. If you can get the priest to PW:S a different target than his penance, you might have a game winning maneuver, Penance on CD and the target with weakened soul is the most dangerous time for a Disc, but you have a very short window of operation to decide whether to burn the priest or one of his partners. Same strategy applies in 2s and 3s. 5s is so damned crazy I can't do it, maybe someone else has better advice there.