Tools for Calculating Theoretical DPS

I've done a little theorycrafting, and lots of gear calculations, but one thing still eludes me... calculating my theoretical DPS based on current gear and talents.

I'd like the simulation to illustrate buffs, and especially rotation. Is there such a thing? I would like to be able to compare my current performance (measured with Recount) against this theoretical model to help me identify areas to improve. Any suggestions?

Re: Tools for Calculating Theoretical DPS

codeplex.com/rawr

That should help!

Get a handle on LoggerPro, latest version was 3.6 I believe. It's supposed to be a graphing program for physics and chem labs, but hell...

Excel would also work:

Time Column GCD Column Mana/rage/engy Column Ability CD columnS

Quote Originally Posted by Crovax
    codeplex.com/rawr

That should help!
    I play on a Mac, and haven't gotten Mono/Rawr to play nicely yet. It looks like a great tool...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeyzilla
    I play on a Mac, and haven't gotten Mono/Rawr to play nicely yet. It looks like a great tool...
    It is. Not only can you see your theoretical DPS, you can tell where it should be coming from, with what buffs on, etc. You can also check which gear would be best for you with your current set up.

15+ Year Old Account

Rotations
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokeyzilla
    I've done a little theorycrafting, and lots of gear calculations, but one thing still eludes me... calculating my theoretical DPS based on current gear and talents.

I'd like the simulation to illustrate buffs, and especially rotation.
    Rotation is easy. Figure out how much damage each of your abilities does, divide it by the amount of time it takes to use. Most of your stuff is instant, so 1.5s. This gives you the Damage Per Cast Time, and you simply sort this by highest value first. Each time you can press a button, start at the top of the list and work your way down.

For example, my list reads:
    Curse of Doom
    Conflag
    Chaos Bolt
    Immolate
    Incinerate

I press my buttons in that order, every time I can. Conflag on cooldown? Cast Chaos bolt. Both on cooldown? Cast immolate. Both on cooldown and Immolate already up? Cast incinerate.

The exception would be procs and talents, like a mage maintaining scorch. If all of a sudden we have Heroism/Bloodlust and my haste trinket procs, I might skip refreshing Curse of Doom to get more Incinerates in, because Doom would be GCD capped while Incinerate would not.

I would like to be able to compare my current performance (measured with Recount) against this theoretical model to help me identify areas to improve. Any suggestions?
    Rawr works, but you can do the same thing with the DPCT's:
    Spell 1: DPCT / Cooldown
    Spell 2: Repeat for all spells you use.
    Autoswing: Average damage / Swing Speed

Add all these up, you have your number.

For buffs, its a bit more complex, but the internal number blizzard uses is 55-60%. If you have all buffs in a 25 man raid you should experience a 55-60% dps boost over being solo.

R.I.P. YARG

How about this? Redcape's spreadsheet is very well respected.

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t57156-r...ulator_3_12_a/

Rawr
    Bellator's Spreadsheet
    Redcape's Spreadsheet

All are great tools. All should be used with a grain of salt. Even using these tools it helps to do some testing yourself and review yourself (WWS and such after a raid).

You can find the links to these on the EJ Ret thread or using google. I am to lazy to go get them for you. Sorry.