Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Blizzard trademarks "Cataclysm"

Blizzard trademarks "Cataclysm"
    A few days ago Blizzard filed a trademark for "Cataclysm" on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website. Cataclysm was registered for :

• Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; and providing on-line information in the field of computer gaming entertainment
    • Comic books, computer game strategy guides, trading cards, coloring books, adhesive stickers, rub-on transfers, notebooks, stationery-type portfolios, posters, greeting cards, calendars, instructional leaflets in the field of computer games, computer game instruction manuals, catalogs in the field of computer games, advertisement boards of paper or cardboard, photographs, art prints
    • Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

Below is a small extract of the Latest Status Info on the Trademark Applications and Registrations Retrieval (TARR) Website

---------------------------------------------

LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD
    Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
    16215 Alton Parkway
    Irvine, CA 92618
    United States

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES
    Class Status: Active
    Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

2009-06-30 - New Application Office Supplied Data Entered In Tram

2009-06-30 - New Application Entered In Tram

---------------------------------------------

So ... What does it mean? Well, Wrath of the Lich King was trademarked a few weeks before the Blizzcon, we're not going to jump to conclusions here but WoWWiki will most likely give you a few things to think about on their Great Sundering article.

The Great Sundering, also known as simply the Sundering or the Cataclysm was a world event which reshaped Azeroth approximately 10,000 years ago at the end of the War of the Ancients. This event was triggered due to the Well of Eternity being destroyed.

Prior to the Sundering, there was only one continent on Azeroth, referred to as Kalimdor. In the catastrophic explosion, eighty percent of the land mass was destroyed leaving behind the major continents and scattered islands that are known today: Northrend, Kezan, the Eastern Kingdoms, and the remnant still referred to as Kalimdor.

The site of the Well of Eternity became a swirling vortex of power known as the Maelstrom.

A few days ago, one of our user also spotted a test server named "Maelstrom 3 Test" in the US server list (it only showed up for a few seconds, see This post). If the expansion is indeed The Maelstrom/Cataclysm, we can expect to see a few things here:

Deleted

Re: Blizzard trademarks "Cataclysm"

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Queen Aszhara even :O

And this sounds awesome

Can't wait till Blizzcon to find out

Already? : O
    Lag - Network related. High server response time, stop downloading.
    Low FPS - Your computer can't keep up with the game - buy a better one

Dalaran doesn't lag (often) your pc just sucks.

RIP Paul Gray

15+ Year Old Account

But all my hard earned epics!! Nooo.. nooooo!
    Wait, a bit too early for this yet? Okay, I'll wait. :P
    "Interestingly, the rain in Spain doesn't actually fall in the plain all that much."

Goblins!
    weeeheee!

so the next continent will most likely be kezan, with a goblin capital
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Kezan

gl hf all bloodsail admirals! mwhahahaha

would be awesome to see the new capital city be like booty bay, where you can actually attack the opposite faction. too bad that won't happen :-\

Hmm, another cot instance featuring guldan in the tomb of sargeras maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dkt
    You didnt :0, its the next xpac to wow NOT the new mmo they were talking about. Just to clarify.
    Er how is that confirmed?

It could quite easily be a new game set long before warcraft.

Anything about this is pure speculation atm

So, off to kill the Queen?

A few days ago, one of our user also spotted a test server named "Maelstrom 3 Test" in the US server list (it only showed up for a few seconds, see This post).
    It only showed up for a few seconds? It was on mine for more than a day. If I'm not mistaken, it was still listed on it's own tab when I logged on yesterday.

Yes! There are so many signs towards the Maelstrom expansion that I really doubt it would be anything else!

Hopefully we Bloodsails will get some attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dammagia
    Er how is that confirmed?

It could quite easily be a new game set long before warcraft.

Anything about this is pure speculation atm
    because blizzard has confirmed their new mmo is an entirely new franchise. no world of starcraft, no new wow, no diablo. NEW

Sargaeras won't be in this. Too soon and he is uncomprehendingly more powerful than the Lich King, who will be the hardest fight in this expansion. He scoffs at him, referring to him as if he were a figment of imagination, powerless and meaningless. They can easily put him and all the Burning Legion's homeworld in an expansion of it's own.

I wonder if they will raise the Tomb of Sargaeras again. They could have Gul'dan be the final boss. I am really interested to see what will be happening lore/mechanics-wise in regards to roaming the old High Elf cities. Will we be purchasing underwater breathing spells or doing an epic questline?
    Playing since Patch 1.11 (Draenor & Icecrown - PvE).

I've personally thought the next logical expansion is the Maelstrom/Azshara ever since we've known that Northrend was this Expac.

Looks like it's confirmed.

Lots of underwater quests? Gogo turtle mount?
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We don't think burst is a problem in PvP right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloe
    Already? : O
    WoTLK was announced the BlizzCon immediately following TBC's launch, there is no surprise here.

If anything it was expected, and should it really be a Maelstrom-based expansion, that would be 3 points to the supposedly 'fake' list of future expansions, 0 to the opposition.

A few years ago (or year can't remember) there was a whole list of expension and info somewhere posted. and so far it has been correct. Alot of people guessed it would be maelstorm enxt, altough the question is, will they add gilneas or grimbatol/kul tiras, and will they add the emerald dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Vazhra
    Sargaeras won't be in this. Too soon and he is uncomprehendingly more powerful than the Lich King, who will be the hardest fight in this expansion. He scoffs at him, referring to him as if he were a figment of imagination, powerless and meaningless. They can easily put him and all the Burning Legion's homeworld in an expansion of it's own.

I wonder if they will raise the Tomb of Sargaeras again. They could have Gul'dan be the final boss. I am really interested to see what will be happening lore/mechanics-wise in regards to roaming the old High Elf cities. Will we be purchasing underwater breathing spells or doing an epic questline?
    first off, this is talking about the NEXT expansion. i.e. lich king will be dead. however, i do agree that sargeras won't be in this. azshara will be last boss, they've been pretty predictable so far. illidan was easy to guess, arthas was very easy to guess. queen azshara for the maelstrom, comeon.

also, as far as underwater etc, from what i can tell only one zone will actually be underwater. this zone also includes kul tiras gilneas etc, all the islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazhra

I would definitely look forward to a Gul'dan boss encounter.

Just something someone can maybe clear up.

There was a something somewhere (be it in game or on wowwiki or whatever) that talked about "murlocs showing up in greater numbers on our shores, as if they are running from something" not exactly like that but words to that effect. Where have I read this before? Just trying to think of WHY we'd take a sudden interest in the maelstrom now after x thousand years. I don't doubt the maelstrom IS the next expansion nor that the title for it will be Cataclysm (been saying Maelstrom expansion for quite a while, feel free to go check my old posts here before calling me out) just couldn't work out an existing lore reason we'd be suddenly bothered about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.