Brand new War Alt

I'm making a new war alt (mainly as a dps, don't want to tank) and i was wondering if i could get some advice from people who know a lot more about wars then i do (main is a warlock, know very little about melee classes):

Does race matter (would prefer alliance)
    What is a good leveling spec?
    Based on spec what weapons would be better (duel weild vs 2h)
    Stats to look for on gear.

Thanks in advanced!
    Firemist

Re: Brand new War Alt

Login, do /delete, create a DK.....
    /win
    My Armory

In the begginning there was nothing... Then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said: ''Get a job''.
    That is the true story of universe

Quote Originally Posted by Xmile
    Login, do /delete, create a DK.....
    /win
    YEAH DO THAT!! cause we all know there isnt enough DK's as it is...

Deleted

Firemist, Warriors have a hard time levelling. You might want to reconsider rolling a warrior, but if you are absolutely dedicated towards dying a couple of hundred times while levelling, here's some information:

Yes, race matters. Draeneis have self-healing, which is useful while levelling, Night Elves have Wisp, which is also nice while levelling, + they can shadowmeld which can save your life, Dwarves have more expertise with maces which is good for raiding and the have Track Treasure, which is also good for levelling. Last, but not least, Humans have increased expertise with swords and maces (again, good for raiding), more reputation gains, better stealth detection and a free PvP trinket.

For a levelling spec, Fury or Protection would be the way to go. Fury heals somewhat decent (BT + glyph) and Protection has great mitigation

For Fury, Dualwield is the way to go untill TG, when ofcourse you're going to use two twohanders. Protection will work best with a sword and board (way of speaking, no need for it to be sword).

You'll want to look after Strength, Stamina, and Agility in that order of priority for Fury, but for Protection it will be Stamina > Agility > Strength while levelling. Feel free to ask more! =)

15+ Year Old Account

1. yes spec matters but mostly if you wanted to max out tanking stats
    2. anything with improved rage gain, not ms, lol
    3. 2h for leveling, you'll have time to titan grip when your 70+
    4. strength, tons and tons of strength. (and stam so your not squishy)

Honestly the people above me are correct most players suddenly interested in warriors go ahead and make death knights. free 55 levels :P

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Salarius
    1. yes spec matters but mostly if you wanted to max out tanking stats
    2. anything with improved rage gain, not ms, lol
    3. 2h for leveling, you'll have time to titan grip when your 70+
    4. strength, tons and tons of strength. (and stam so your not squishy)
    1. What? He was asking if his race choice would matter.
    2. No, MS is also quite a good levelling spec, but Fury and Protection are better.
    3. No. No, no, no, no. Dualwield for fury, NOT twohander, and onehand weapon + shield for prot, I don't see where you would fit in twohanders, you just said MS sucked donkeyballs as levellingspec.
    4. Yes, if he chooses to level as Arms or Fury, as I mentioned before, Protection is also viable as a levelling spec now.

Level as arms to 60, then switch to prot spec with DPS gear.

leveling sucks, endgame is great

"choose your destiny"

P.S. Heirloom Shoulder + Bloodied Arcanite Ripper FTW

Balls Deep!!

Listen here my little warrior friend, if you ever ever ever ever ever ever ever hear another person try to tell you that Agility is anywhere near one of the top stat allocations for a warrior run screaming away from them into the arms of a warrior who knows what he's talking about. I'm talking end game of course though. Leveling doesnt matter much at all since your still grinding until 80. I enjoyed leveling as fury simply because of BT heal. MS is okay but arms is built around procs now and aside from Bladestorm not much of multi-target help. I would still level fury because of the heal, multi target management, and since your going to be fighting mobs yourself rage shouldnt be an issue. Once you get to 80 if you need help with stat allocation come back then.

For those of you that want to argue about the agility thing, consider this; just because a lot of offpieces or leather pieces with better itemization than plate have agility on it doesnt make it a priority stat. It doesnt translate like strength and most of our talent points are built around that, even more so now with the Imp Zerker change. Leveling though I would still try to stick with anything with str/stam/crit. All dps plate is built around Str and Stam but the other itemized part of that is going to be diverse. Leveling you dont have much of an option about what quest rewards are or some of the blue items from instances are but just learning as you go will help a lot at 80.
    To answer your first question though race only matters to an extent. Dont pick a race just because the racials are shiny and decent. Pick a race that your going to enjoy playing and enjoy looking at. Run around on a few different races and get the feel for it before you commit just because racial a>b in this situation while c>a in this situation. My warrior is old school Dwarf and I have never thought about changing just because of race changes. I enjoy playing him because he feels right. Just get the feel for it but dont get stuck with a race that you cant stand to log into.

Zophiel is right, but i reccomend you level arms until level 60, then you can TG, once you do that leveling becomes realy simple because of that BT Heal. And you choose the race you want to go (personally i like human because of their racial, its a pvp trinket so a human can equip two dps trinkets in pvp). When you levelin as arms best to use 1 2 hander, fury b4 level 60 is all about 1h dual wielding until TG. as your leveling you wanna focus on strength and crit, agility is a good way to get crit as your levling (and no im not saying at level 80 agility is good, its actually a useless stat for warriors at lvl 80). if you can get the heirloom shoulders, 2h axe and chest (chest will be released in 3.2).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vojka
    Zophiel is right, but i reccomend you level arms until level 60, then you can TG, once you do that leveling becomes realy simple because of that BT Heal. And you choose the race you want to go (personally i like human because of their racial, its a pvp trinket so a human can equip two dps trinkets in pvp). When you levelin as arms best to use 1 2 hander, fury b4 level 60 is all about 1h dual wielding until TG. as your leveling you wanna focus on strength and crit, agility is a good way to get crit as your levling (and no im not saying at level 80 agility is good, its actually a useless stat for warriors at lvl 80). if you can get the heirloom shoulders, 2h axe and chest (chest will be released in 3.2).

Good luck!
    I would agree with the arms leveling until 60 purely because the only leveling I've done in the last 2 years was from 70-80. I have been playing my warrior for 4 years and leveled way back when without 51 talent trees and before all the crazy nerf/buffs. I tank a tad bit too but never tried leveling as prot so I cant give you any advice on that.

Level as arms to 60 and prot 60-80

Fury is a lot more gear dependant than Arms but only dishes out abit more damage leveling up with quuest greens is fine for Arms but youll need to upgrade in instances every few levels as fury.

I play undead warrior, prot for PvE and arms PvP. If you roll horde, especially if you intend to pvp at all, go Undead. For ally I've heard good things about dwarf, but a draenei is fine too.
    Tehwarlord/Tehspymaster of Teh Uber Fun BakeryParty, Azgalor-US(H)
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azgalor&n=Tehwarlord

Quote Originally Posted by Tehwarlord
    I play undead warrior, prot for PvE and arms PvP. If you roll horde, especially if you intend to pvp at all, go Undead. For ally I've heard good things about dwarf, but a draenei is fine too.
    Soon as the faction change thing goes through I'm going Undead from Dwarf, mainly because all of my RL friends play Horde and I will go Undead. My first character ever was an Undead Warrior that I got rid of before I rolled Dwarf. Helps with those chain fears but I also enjoy the way they feel when I play them and the way they look. Good choice

As for races I can give you my opinion on each one and their viability in both PVE and PVP from my personal experience.

Draenei: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=59547, http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=28878
    As for a warrior I dont really find this race appealing, the 1% hit is good for the raiding scene but not enough to make me want to choose this over a better utility ability. The self-heal is okay but in the grand scope of things isnt as attractive as it could be for both pve or pvp. If you planned on being very PVE oriented then I could see it.

Dwarf: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20594
    This is the type of warrior I have. I have never once doubted my decision to play as a Dwarf Warrior. Stoneform is a very good situational PVE and PVP ability.
    PVE-use it when a healer cant cleanse you or during heroism to push a little more AP from the armor buff. The cooldown was dropped a bit back to reflect the other racials but was nerfed hard from 8 second immunity to a cleanse. **Thank you Death Knights
    PVP-good situational PVP cleanse. Target dead but dangerously low health + Rogue Posion/DK dot = dead, use to cleanse. The situation I use it most in though is to give my healer or myself a little breathing room but Intimidating Shout + Stoneform. Gives me a few seconds to get away from the target to get enough room to charge or intercept.

Gnome: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20589
    As a warrior this is a pure PVP godsend. Warriors have very little to no snare or root avoidance and face it, you will soon find the complete and utter frustration of this while fighting a frost mage. Escape Artist coupled with PVP Trinket and and Berserker Rage for fears you have a decent head start in the CC game.

Human: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=59752, http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=58985
    For a Human Rogue, this race/class composition is a very big leg up because of the extra trinket slot that can be used to increase burst potential and stealth detection against other rogues. But for a warrior I find this race lacking in utility from a PVP and PVE standpoint. Some would argue that this gives you an extra trinket slot for something else but in doing so you miss out on the other good racials in conjunction with the equip bonus from one of the many PVP trinkets such as 108 Resilience. For pvp at least 550 resilience is a good soft cap to actually see a decent difference in survival and having another good situational racial and 108 resilience is better in my opinion. PVE wise I dont see any pluses other than MAYBE using EMfH in a survival situation. Humans are powerful to an extent but in the broader picture I would weigh situation to situation and not just outside observance.

Night Elf: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20582, http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=58984
    Decent abilities for both PVE and PVP. Passive 2% reduced chance to be hit is nice especially for Avoidance as a tank and even in PVP since you dont have to be facing the target for them to miss you. Shadowmeld is a nice "feign death" in PVE and PVP. Sometimes can help prevent plate repair bills and running time but is good against PVP targets to have them deselect you and stop their cast.

I chose to leave out most of the passive resist abilities that I felt weren't really relevant in choosing a race. Like I have stated earlier its all in preference, even how they feel when you play them and how much you enjoy looking at them. Being stuck with a character you dont like just because you think the racial might help you once in a blue moon is a bad way to go. It all depends on how much you like form along with function in those cases though. Leveling as a warrior will get frustrating beyond belief sometimes but just stick with it and I hope you enjoy it.

1. Racials were explained thoroughly in the post above mine. Personally I rolled gnome because I intended to PvP (PvE nut now, lol)
    2. Leveling spec: 1-60 definately go with arms or fury. Despite what people say, fury is viable for leveling, especially from lvl 40 onwards, when you get BT. I personally have no affinity nor much experience with prot, and not at all in levelling, but many people proclaim it viable at 60+, I'll believe them.
    3. Levelling weapon: 2-hander. Whether you're arms or fury, go 2H. The mass miss streaks you get with DW (due to low or no hit rating) tend to get annoying while levelling, not to mention all your attacks minus BT rely on weapon damage - which is obviously higher with a 2H. TG might be okay once you hit NR, but I personally have only ever done warrior 70-80 on T6+ gear, and I went arms, so not sure. If levelling prot, obviously got for a good onehander and a shield.
    4. Strength. Some strength. Then get some strength. Oh and don't forget to add in some strength. Season with some hit, crit and stamina, stir well, and you're good.

Deleted

I leveled as 'nothing' until 27, it was some wierd sword 'n board gig, using revenge and Rend, worked quite well altho got abit slow after 22ish.

At 27, I speced Taste for Blood. It went great after that point, at 30 you get Sweeping Strikes and it's glyph, keep it up all the time as it's rage free and same duration as cooldown, you're going to be able to survive multi pulls and have dependable damage due to Taste for blood.

Personal preference, sure, but arms is very viable for leveling, up to 60 and past it if you want to. Only real problems is 58-60 and 68-70, assuming you do it in outlands/northrend and not Azeroth/Outlands.

Level it as arms fury sucks cock until 80 when you can get some half decent gear. Do not get the rend overpower talents as you level and fight in berzerker stance. Bladestorm is your friend for aoe packs! 2hander all the way axe spec is amazing.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr
    Level it as arms fury sucks cock until 80 when you can get some half decent gear. Do not get the rend overpower talents as you level and fight in berzerker stance. Bladestorm is your friend for aoe packs! 2hander all the way axe spec is amazing.
    Wrong.

If you level as arms, you stick in Battlestance. The overpower talents are an awsome damage increase for 5 points (2 in improved overpower, 3 in taste for blood), the damage increase is about equall to that of Mortal strike (Before you get the rage to use it on a regular basis) and it costs less rage.

Not using it will be slowing you down, if you level as arms that is.