Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Shadowpriest Q&A

Apparently Shadowpriests are completely fine in PVP.

We don't need a snare, because other classes have one. We don't need snare removal, because it would be unfair to players with snares. We don't need a way of getting out of melee range, because apparently we can tank, and have awesome healing with VE. Also, Holy has one with Body and Soul.

Oh, and the Developers didn't know that Mind Control doesn't give you the other players abilities in PVP.

So, there we have it. Shadowpriests are completely fine in PVP, and apparently the fact that there are only 9% of all Priests in the arena playing as Shadow over 2k rating (2v2s and 3v3s) is a coincidence.

We have decent escape abilities with Dispersion and Psychic Scream, too. Apparently.

At least he says there might be a chance that they could make the Dispel protection on Vampiric Touch actually do something next patch.

You are right that the VT penalty is so low as to be silly, and that's something we would like to boost for 3.2.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Re: Shadowpriest Q&A

Question 9: : As you may know shadow priest have a fair amount of mobility issues, are you planning on adding a short immunity to snares after fade is used? ( Improved Fade ofcourse.)
    No. We would be more likely to nerf snares. We don't want to have an arms race of snares, then snare immunity, then the snare that can't be made immune, and so on.
    I dont pvp much, but last time I "tried" Imp fade didnt help when I had cripplingp. ?!

After reading that, I wanted to throw my laptop through the window. Shadowpriest PVP is crap and has been for a NUMBER of seasons. Not sure what it will take for Blizzard to realize the problem.

This just really made me angry...

"There is a HUGE issue, are you going to fix it?"

"No."

there is nothing strange with the blizzard. They are too lazy now to develop and create smth new: to give a direct-dmg for pvp shadowpriest without affecting the pve, to give a snare, or snare protection, to give haste, to giv more crit etc. It is much easer to copy the same tier-sets from patch to patch, to give the same abilities to diffirent classes. It all works and gives a damn-good money - no need to change..

To start, I don't play shadow and I don't PvP hardly at all. However, I'm not an idiot and try to keep up with the "goings on" in the PvP world as it pertains to priests.

Ghostcrawler (my *favorite* blue poster [see sig]) yet again proves how little he understands the practical application of priests in any setting. With this "sneak peak," I am not looking forward to the full blown Q&A.

I hereby nominate that GC be renamed "Dr. No," because that seems to be the only word he knows when it comes to priest suggestions.

Here are my 2 favorite answers:

Question 13: Was the disarm on Psychic horror intended to occur after the "horror," or during? Is there any intention of removing the travel time on Psychic Horror, If not will you add an animation?
    What do you mean by animation? To the projectile or the target? The disarm was intended to occur during the horror.
    Seriously? You really didn't understand the guy wanted to know if you'd implement a projectile so there was a visual "cue" on when it would hit? I'm not a "Lead Systems Designer" and I can infer that.

Question 17: Mind Control although this is a fun spell it isn't very useful in pvp situations because it leaves your character immobile for however long and randomly breaks. Could mind control make the controlled target your pet but movable by using the same mechanic used to place a death and decay?
    We might do something like that for pets in general. Mind Control however is a really powerful ability. Not only does it prevent the target from doing anything, it also lets you use their abilities against their allies. It's going to be hard for us to remove too many downsides from the effect.
    I don't use words like "fail" and "noob" when I post here, but for GC I will make an exception. This reply is full of fail. If by "uses their abilities against their allies" you mean auto attack at 25% reduced speed, then yes. I swear, GC sounds like some noob who jumped on the forum to flame someone for making a suggestion to make MC more attractive.

I could say more, but I wouln't preach to the choir. Honestly, I could really care a less about the final outcome of his answers. What really concerns me is the thought process he uses to get there. Its uniformed and inconsistent, which are two horrible traits for someone who is in-charge of long-term planning.

R.I.P. Shadow Priests.

Game Over!
    According to blizzard:

Paladins : Lovedolls

Priests : Swineflu

Quote Originally Posted by hannibaal
    After reading that, I wanted to throw my laptop through the window. Shadowpriest PVP is crap and has been for a NUMBER of seasons. Not sure what it will take for Blizzard to realize the problem.
    honestly? quit your bitching find a rogue and go disc.
    nerfs tickle at best
    people who reroll or quit due to nerfs are sissys

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by kainron
    wow you´re an idiot. it´s a shadow priest Q&A and we talk about it in a thread called Shadowpriest Q&A. can you please leave this place when you´re no shadowpriest, k thx!

Answer 17 is just epic!

Quote Originally Posted by kainron
    Or, better yet, how about a company, that sells a product, providing a way for their customers, who purchase the product, to enjoy themselves the way they wish?

I think people readily forget that this isn't some "society," but a product that YOU buy. When that product changes, and you become dissatisfied, the answer isn't "have this instead."

Scenario #1:

Customer: Hi, BMW, I bought this 3series, and it was good for a while, but after bringing it into your shop, it doesn't drive the same. Can you fix it so I can enjoy my car like before?

BMW: No.

Customer: Oh, well then I expect you will replace it with a new 3series that works like my old one did.

BMW: I'm sorry, but we have decided that the old 3series just didn't balance well with our other products. How about having a 5series convertible instead?

Customer: ...but I want my 3series.

BMW: You'll like the 5series convertible much better, trust me.

Bystander:
    Yeah, quit your bitching and take the 5series convertible!

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?

What amazes me about the post is its arrogant tone. This Nu Labour 'everything's just fine, everyone's happy, there's no problem' type rhetoric. It's just complete rubbish.

Some of his replies are just laughable.

You're a dps class that focuses on dots and "stealing energy" from opponents.
    Eh? 'Stealing energy'? What on earth does that mean? Is it a euphemsim for sub-par hybrid dps?

You are probably tougher than mages, and still have decent escape mechanisms with Dispersion and fears.
    Eh? 'Tougher than mages'? Our survivability in pvp is better than mages? LOL

Mind Control however is a really powerful ability. Not only does it prevent the target from doing anything, it also lets you use their abilities against their allies. It's going to be hard for us to remove too many downsides from the effect.
    Eh? MC has it's uses in pve. Is he seriously talking about it with reference to pvp?

We want the 51-pointers to be very attractive, but not necessarily the most powerful talent in the tree. A great number, if not a majority, of Shadow priests have Dispersion so it's hard to argue it isn't attractive.
    Eh? Look at the 51-point talents of other classes. The reason that most shadow priests take Dispersion is because there's bugger all else to take.

As someone else has pointed out, the only decent response is:

You are right that the VT penalty is so low as to be silly, and that's something we would like to boost for 3.2.
    Completely agree with Spiritus. It's a really, really bad set of answers from someone in a position of influence.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Answer 17 is just epic!
    yeah i lol´d hard. i can´t believe how clueless this idiot is -.-

I want my improved wanding talents back! They could replace it for Dispersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbunker
    I want my improved wanding talents back! They could replace it for Dispersion.
    this!

and there was way too many pvp questions in that Q&A

any pve questions we wanted answering will now have to wait until next expansion's Q&A zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Marrakech
    this!

and there was way too many pvp questions in that Q&A

any pve questions we wanted answering will now have to wait until next expansion's Q&A zzzz
    This isn't the "Official" Q&A for priests. It was just a post someone made on the official forums that GC just decided to respond to.

I'm sure the PvE shadow priest will be addressed in the "Official" Q&A. However, with the way these responses went, I wouldn't expect to be happy about it.

Honestly, I'm still very happy with Dispersion for soloing and PvE. They can't make it baseline, as it would be extremely overpowered for PvP healing.

I don't think we should keep dwelling with Dispersion as a talent, and rather focus on all the other problems. One spell is hardly our biggest concern, specially when the said spell saved players/guilds from dying, and beating encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by mofi
    yeah i lol´d hard. i can´t believe how clueless this idiot is -.-
    well, i think he meant that mind control isn't just a "stun"(for the lack of a better term) but besides the enemy being "stunned" he also attacks his allies.
    And Christ said to his disciples, "I shall grant you eternal Salvation!"
    The disciples fell to their knees and replied, "Give us kings n00b!".

Quote Originally Posted by Ascal
    well, i think he meant that mind control isn't just a "stun"(for the lack of a better term) but besides the enemy being "stunned" he also attacks his allies.
    Thats the point. GC is a "Lead Systems Designer." If he cannot properly communicate his ideas or perceptions in a *written* format, how can he properly address extremely complicated issues such as class balance, class flavor, and class roles planned out a year or more in advance?

I could cut em some slack if he was random poster number 56 on the MMO forum, but not a highly paid "Lead Systems Designer."

Gief something damaging or damage increasing buff for 51 pointer.. I hate dispersion.